Username
Password

10:53 AM on 11/28/12 
User Info.
suicidesaints
A Million F@$% Diamonds
Dallas
Male - 30 Years Old
Pan's Labyrinth is one of my all time favorite films. Definitely looking forward to this.
12:53 PM on 07/09/13 
User Info.
suicidesaints
A Million F@$% Diamonds
Dallas
Male - 30 Years Old
Wooohooo, five more hours; so I'll be the first one here that's seen this? I'm expecting a pure popcorn entertainment/explosions/kaboom flick and nothing more, so hopefully I'm not let down.

Please let us know how this is... Probably gonna go opening day unless reviews are horrible
05:56 AM on 07/10/13 
User Info.
suicidesaints
A Million F@$% Diamonds
Dallas
Male - 30 Years Old
Does your entire life really consist of entering a thread for a movie that doesn't interest you and making jokes that no one is laughing at?

Having been around this board for a little while now, and encountering Wake Up in numerous threads, I can answer for him... YES!
07:03 AM on 07/10/13 
User Info.
suicidesaints
A Million F@$% Diamonds
Dallas
Male - 30 Years Old
I think this movie will be a hit. Of course I didn't expect Lone Ranger to flop like it did, so we'll see.
07:46 AM on 07/10/13 
User Info.
suicidesaints
A Million F@$% Diamonds
Dallas
Male - 30 Years Old
I've been to quite a few Gofobo screenings and usually 30-45 minutes early is plenty... unless it's a big movie like Dark Knight or something. If it's something without a lot of hype, I've gotten there right at start time and had no trouble getting a seat.

Probably depends on the city/movie/day/time etc...
08:12 AM on 07/10/13 
User Info.
suicidesaints
A Million F@$% Diamonds
Dallas
Male - 30 Years Old
Yeah. It was funny how liberal people thought we would be with the term "press." I had several regulars who simply had blogs who would get pissed when I wouldn't let them in beyond the cut or make them move from the seats we held for actual press.

It's kind of a futile process for the studios. We aren't going to get many in-depth thoughts. Most people are just trying to catch a movie for free and either enjoy everything or won't say anything bad because they would feel guilty criticizing a movie they saw for free. Meanwhile, the theaters rake it in because people seem to spend crazy amounts at concessions when they know they aren't paying for tickets. haha

Glad to hear you loved the movie though. I can't wait to catch this soon, hopefully in Cinemark XD.

Yeah. I worked screenings in the Cleveland market, so almost all of ours were packed. There were one or two cities/theaters where it was usually pretty mellow, but the highly populated ones were crazy, even for the shittiest of movies. Our reports from other cities varied though. I just dealt with Ohio and upper New York, so Cleveland and Buffalo were my big markets. One of the other variables would be theater size. Sometimes it was 250 capacity; others were 750, so it really varied by the screening. I was so pissed when one of my co-workers cancelled at the last minute (sign-ups were on a voluntary, yet mandatory to fill basis) for a 500 seat screening. Still, not a bad job to see movies and get movie swag for free with busy work in the office...

How'd you land the job?
09:05 AM on 07/10/13 
User Info.
suicidesaints
A Million F@$% Diamonds
Dallas
Male - 30 Years Old
Gofobo kind of outsources these screenings in regional divisions. I interned for the marketing agency (I was an advertising major/marketing minor) in my area that handles such things for Ohio, Upper New York, and a couple other minor markets, which progressed to a full-time job offer. Granted, I say marketing agency, but we worked solely with every studio except WB. We hired a manager in select cities from there, who managed several part-time people to run events and screenings. Since we were the "mothership" of sorts for this region, we just did all that stuff ourselves though. It was about 90% office work and 10% screenings/events though. Still, quite a fun job. I couldn't tell you how to get hired for such a job outside of this area though because I have no clue. haha

Okay, cool. I assumed they got some part time volunteers or something to just do the screenings in exchange for being able to see free movies and such.
08:58 AM on 07/12/13 
User Info.
suicidesaints
A Million F@$% Diamonds
Dallas
Male - 30 Years Old
Got tickets for the 3D show at 7:00 tonight. We shall see...
09:21 AM on 07/12/13 
User Info.
suicidesaints
A Million F@$% Diamonds
Dallas
Male - 30 Years Old
I'll go in with that mindset then. I was kind of expecting a more complex story line based on some of the things I've read, but now I'll just expect a fun popcorn flick and probably enjoy it a lot more.
07:02 AM on 07/13/13 
User Info.
suicidesaints
A Million F@$% Diamonds
Dallas
Male - 30 Years Old
I loved this a lot. Of course some parts were cheesy but it's giant robots you goons. Charlie Day was like Rick Moranis in Ghostbusters

lmao. I actually said this to my girlfriend during the movie.

I enjoyed it, but it was nothing more than Transformers in the ocean. If you're going to see the movie, you should see it on the big screen. The movie itself isn't great, but it's visually appealing and fun. Not something to watch at home.
08:22 AM on 07/13/13 
User Info.
suicidesaints
A Million F@$% Diamonds
Dallas
Male - 30 Years Old
I don't see how it's like transformers? Like yeah big robots but other than that there is no resemblance

Well, that's pretty much it.

Both movies have little to no "real" story. Both are just giant robots fighting for 2+ hours. I mean, I liked Pacific Rim A LOT more than Transformers, but they are essentially the same thing. Pacific Rim was more fun, looked better on the screen and had Charlie Day (+1) but I fail to see how they are really that much different.
09:08 AM on 07/13/13 
User Info.
suicidesaints
A Million F@$% Diamonds
Dallas
Male - 30 Years Old
There was a good 30-45 minute stretch of zero robot fighting in this movie as they tried to develop an actual story and the characters in said story.

I mean there was probably a half hour stretch without robots fighting, but there wasn't really a whole lot of story or character development really taking place during that time. They tried to make some semblance of story but it was pretty thin. I mean, the movie basically relies on action... which is fine, it's a big summer action movie, and that's all it needs to be.
12:08 PM on 07/13/13 
User Info.
suicidesaints
A Million F@$% Diamonds
Dallas
Male - 30 Years Old
But...the robots are completely different. I'm not trying to jump on you I swear haha. but here the robots are built and controlled by people. In transformers they're the aliens.

Well, the movies have their differences, and I don't think this is just a Transformers remake or anything, I just felt like they were pretty similar.

Definitely not the same movie. Transformers characters were all unlikable as hell and just got worse as the movies went on. Even the robots were annoying, outside of Optimus Prime. Yes, it's fighting robots, but the human element adds something to it
And doesn't take away from the story.

Plus there's some actual stakes in this. There was never any of that in Transformers.

I dug this movie. Maybe a little too long and could use one less fight. But its the best big action movie this summer.

Yes, they are different movies, but they are very similar. Pacific Rim was way better because of the stakes, and the human element, but it's essentially just a bunch of robots fighting, just like Transformers. Granted I didn't see any of the Transformers sequels, because I thought the first one was horrible. Don't get me wrong I liked Pacific Rim, quite a bit actually, but the whole time I was watching it, I felt like I was watching Transformers with better CGI, better characters, and a better story.
09:50 AM on 07/16/13 
User Info.
suicidesaints
A Million F@$% Diamonds
Dallas
Male - 30 Years Old
I'm not sure what a Guillermo Del Toro movie is... I mean, this film is drastically different than Pan's Labyrinth.
01:47 PM on 07/20/13 
User Info.
suicidesaints
A Million F@$% Diamonds
Dallas
Male - 30 Years Old
what are some examples of too much ridiculousness if pac rim isn't one of them

I actually agree with this.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives