Username
Password

10:05 AM on 11/28/12 
User Info.
blimpcityhero11
#WreckThisLeague
Akron, OH
Male - 27 Years Old
I didn't see an official thread for this (alone, at least). The viral is gearing up, so it's time to ramp up the hype machine for this movie even more. For those unfamiliar, the official plot synopsis:
Quote:
When legions of monstrous creatures, known as Kaiju, started rising from the sea, a war began that would take millions of lives and consume humanity’s resources for years on end. To combat the giant Kaiju, a special type of weapon was devised: massive robots, called Jaegers, which are controlled simultaneously by two pilots whose minds are locked in a neural bridge. But even the Jaegers are proving nearly defenseless in the face of the relentless Kaiju. On the verge of defeat, the forces defending mankind have no choice but to turn to two unlikely heroes—a washed up former pilot and an untested trainee — who are teamed to drive a legendary but seemingly obsolete Jaeger from the past. Together, they stand as mankind’s last hope against the mounting apocalypse.

Guillermo del Toro put together a solid cast with Charlie Hunnam, Rinko Kikuchi, Idris Elba, Ron Perlman, and Charlie Day for what is sure to be an awesome summer blockbuster when it hits July 12th next year.

The viral for the trailer release was released today at www.panpacificdefense.com, where you can see the trailer will presumably hit in two weeks. In the meantime, enjoy the suspense.

03:23 PM on 11/28/12 
User Info.
blimpcityhero11
#WreckThisLeague
Akron, OH
Male - 27 Years Old
HOLY. BALLS. YES. (and this is just the viral) I should mention that this movie is not POV cam shot like Cloverfield. It will be a full-on epic movie akin to Godzilla and other kaiju movies.

Also, a look at one of the Jaegers.

05:47 PM on 11/28/12 
User Info.
blimpcityhero11
#WreckThisLeague
Akron, OH
Male - 27 Years Old
MOARRRR

07:36 AM on 11/29/12 
User Info.
blimpcityhero11
#WreckThisLeague
Akron, OH
Male - 27 Years Old
Even more... haha

07:00 PM on 11/29/12 
User Info.
blimpcityhero11
#WreckThisLeague
Akron, OH
Male - 27 Years Old
One more...
03:27 PM on 12/04/12 
User Info.
blimpcityhero11
#WreckThisLeague
Akron, OH
Male - 27 Years Old
Legendary is already going ahead and commissioning a script for a sequel. I ALREADY CAN'T WAIT. haha
05:13 PM on 12/12/12 
User Info.
blimpcityhero11
#WreckThisLeague
Akron, OH
Male - 27 Years Old
I JUST CAME.

08:10 PM on 12/12/12 
User Info.
blimpcityhero11
#WreckThisLeague
Akron, OH
Male - 27 Years Old
Charlie Day looks so different here...

07:02 AM on 12/13/12 
User Info.
blimpcityhero11
#WreckThisLeague
Akron, OH
Male - 27 Years Old
For those wondering, there is a lot of substance to this movie. The trailer doesn't do the overall story justice. As hinted to in the trailer, the viral clip of the kaiju attacking San Francisco is the first in this chain of monsters to come through. I don't want to spoil much of the plot, but the stakes are definitely there for the characters due to the immense damage and millions of lives lost over the first couple of years that they try to deal with these monsters. Obviously, it will rely on the actors to bring the intensity needed to properly portray the emotionality of each role, but I really like the cast that GDT put together.
11:02 AM on 12/13/12 
User Info.
blimpcityhero11
#WreckThisLeague
Akron, OH
Male - 27 Years Old
Wow, so with monsters attacking the Earth, there was time to build these huge robots?

Also, since when is this a Robot Jox remake?

I thought from the first poster and all the previous stuff, that the armor were just suits for normal soldiers....oh well.
The first attack happens in 2012, which may be changed to 2013 for the sake of its release. The movie is then set in 2025 (also up for change), so it's not like they were able to make these defense systems overnight. The screenplay weaves in the history of this "war" while explaining the trial-and-error scenario they faced when trying to defeat the kaiju. Given the fictional scenario, the screenplay definitely evokes a pretty realistic take on how the world would respond to such a threat. The robots themselves are semi-realistic in that they do not move that fluidly and have a limited amount of ammunition to work with before having to engage physically.
11:14 AM on 12/13/12 
User Info.
blimpcityhero11
#WreckThisLeague
Akron, OH
Male - 27 Years Old
So far the only thing dissimilar to Robot Jox is that in this movie, they use the robots to fight aliens. In Robot Jox, they use the robots to fight internationally instead of having huge wars.

Both robots are semi-realistic and have limited amounts of ammunition, and are also armed with blunt objects for hand to hand combat.
Outside of the fact that they include massive fighting robots, I don't see how you can compare the two. It's like saying Fight Club was a ripoff of Rocky.
11:33 AM on 12/13/12 
User Info.
blimpcityhero11
#WreckThisLeague
Akron, OH
Male - 27 Years Old
That ins't a fair comparison, name another movie where people manned gigantic robots. This is a very particular scenario that maybe only 2 or 3 other movies have covered.
Power Rangers, Evangelion, Godzilla vs Megalon (robot being Jet Jaguar).... Plus you have all the anime stuff like Gundam and Voltron.
04:11 PM on 12/13/12 
User Info.
blimpcityhero11
#WreckThisLeague
Akron, OH
Male - 27 Years Old
Sorry, but you can't "confirm" the story without seeing the movie.
I'm assuming from the comments he's made that he's read the script. So actually, yes, you can.
Bingo. It's certainly out there. The script was the final draft before being sent to GDT and his team for final doctoring and edits, but it was still solid. The entire trailer matches up perfectly with scenes from the script. Even the kaiju that have been seen so far have matched up with descriptions from the script. Hunnam and Kikuchi's character's each have a rich backstory that brings some heart to the script within the context of this war. It's definitely action-packed, but there really is a lot of substance and solid character development for the main characters. Beacham didn't seem like the best choice at first, but the action scenes are well-written and just epic in scale. Either way, the casting is perfect for how I read the characters.

Like the look of this, though I personally would prefer to see a Hellboy 3. Dying to see that series conclude.
Yeah. GDT said he wants to make it, but he's having trouble finding someone to finance the movie with the $100 million+ budget that he desires for production.
07:26 PM on 01/06/13 
User Info.
blimpcityhero11
#WreckThisLeague
Akron, OH
Male - 27 Years Old
Seriously don't know if I can get past Glados

Just read today that GDT purposefully utilized the GLaDOS sound for the trailer. He said it will be filtered and altered for the actual movie, but wanted to tip his hat to the Portal series by leaving the unfinished audio in the trailer. It wasn't clear, but he claims it will sound similar due to the voice actress, but will differ itself otherwise.
06:48 AM on 02/05/13 
User Info.
blimpcityhero11
#WreckThisLeague
Akron, OH
Male - 27 Years Old
Have high hopes for this. Interested to see how Charlie Day's character is in this. Already know Idris Elba is going to be a badass because that's what he does.

It's not his typical role, but, based on the script, I thought he was a great fit. Some of the reports from the screening echoed that sentiment.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos