AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

01:16 PM on 12/01/12 
User Info.
Simulcast
You're not a teammate on my team
Male - 28 Years Old
The amount of money to be made from a cancer cure would be astronomical, I would imagine. Any company sitting on a cure would seem to be forfeiting an ungodly amount of money to keep up a perceived "racket". Then again, maybe they saw I Am Legend and got cold feet.
01:30 PM on 12/01/12 
User Info.
Simulcast
Male - 28 Years Old
You're ignoring the hospitals, radiation tech companies, and huge amounts of various pharmaceuticals. It also depends on what the cure would be. If its just a pill or single surgery for instance, it would be minuscule compared to what it costs to treat today. In fact its hard to imagine a cure that would come anywhere near what it costs on as a whole today. And I don't think anyone is saying that anyone is sitting on a cure, I think people are saying that alternative treatments are being both underfunded and unfairly prejudiced by the system. Even if some people are exaggerating that I think its true enough.

I can see that. We should abolish the FDA and the Department of Agriculture, or at least severely limit the power they have to stop these sort of alternative endeavors.
01:47 PM on 12/01/12 
User Info.
Simulcast
Male - 28 Years Old
Well at the same time I think we do need regulation in the area because people with something like cancer may be prone to be duped for a lot of money by some scam procedure. Haha, I know I'm kind of speaking out of both sides of my mouth here but I've been studying health policy a lot this semester and its made me a cynic of the system we have, but I really think we should have a system.

I think this happens regardless of the existence of the FDA. The power they wield isn't worth the supposed benefits in my mind. Companies who engage in scams can still be taken to court by the victims.
04:13 PM on 12/01/12 
User Info.
Simulcast
Male - 28 Years Old
That seems rather extreme to me.

It is pretty extreme, but that doesn't mean it shouldn't be considered.
04:25 PM on 12/01/12 
User Info.
Simulcast
Male - 28 Years Old
What exactly is so bad about the FDA and the Department of Agriculture?

Overall both seem like a big waste of money. Farm subsidies are a real problem as well.
04:32 PM on 12/01/12 
User Info.
Simulcast
Male - 28 Years Old
You act as if Big Pharma and other ridiculously wealthy special interests couldn't/ wouldn't find ways to spend money to prevent alternative endeavors from coming out if there was no pesky regulatory body.

They are free to spend their money as they wish. At the end of the day though, they can't pass laws, impose fines, or jail people for making alternatives available. Only the government can do that.
04:47 PM on 12/01/12 
User Info.
Simulcast
Male - 28 Years Old
If those were the only things standing in the way, then abolishing entire government departments might be somewhat sensible.

But they're not. And it's not.

What else is standing in the way? When Big Pharma loses the ability to use the government as a means of regulating in their favor, what would they do instead?
05:03 PM on 12/01/12 
User Info.
Simulcast
Male - 28 Years Old

I can't tell if you're being serious or not but abolishing the FDA would be an unbelievably stupid thing to do.

Why? Would companies suddenly start poisoning their products? How well did the FDA perform its function during the recent outbreak of meningitis in vaccines?
05:08 PM on 12/01/12 
User Info.
Simulcast
Male - 28 Years Old
Why are they big wastes of money? I agree that there are issues with farm subsidies though.

That's one reason. The other is that government agencies are inherently wasteful. It would be much better if the FDA functioned as a non-profit organization like the Better Business Bureau.
05:09 PM on 12/01/12 
User Info.
Simulcast
Male - 28 Years Old
Maybe because they regulate our drugs and determine drug classes... they prevent humans from being poisoned and addicted haha it is highly necessary, ours is just corrupt

It is corrupt by nature. That's my point and that's why I think it should be abolished in its current form.
05:12 PM on 12/01/12 
User Info.
Simulcast
Male - 28 Years Old
The amount of deception and risk taking would increase ten folds immediately. Again, the FDA is NOT involved in regulating individual compounding of pharmacies but rather MANUFACTURERS. The FDA plays a role not only in the drug approval process, but also post-marketing surveillance and advertising as well as much more.

Do you have any idea the process a drug takes to make it to the market?
Is this always a good thing? No. Does it have cons? Yes. But it would just be foolish to remove a system that is in place to ensure safety and efficacy of medications.

In its current form, okay, I can agree with this for sure man. But it would need to be replaced with something. It can't just be abolished and have nothing else come into place. It'd be highly unsafe.

Non-profit organization like the BBB would be favorable.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos