AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

03:27 PM on 12/01/12 
User Info.
Cøltøn
Winnipeg, MB
Male - 23 Years Old
I've been a Windows user my whole life but as of late, I've been seriously contemplating making the jump to a Mac. The main thing holding me back is that I don't have a lot of experience with OSX so I'm kind of concerned with making the transition. I've been using an iPhone for the past year and an iPad for the past 9 months and I have to say that I'm quite impressed with how intuitive they are and how little maintenance they require.

What I use my computer for:

- Mainly as a central hub for all of my media (music [iTunes], movies [VLC], documents [Microsoft Word/Evernote], pictures, etc.]
- Downloading and unzipping files [Winzip]
- I have my laptop hooked up to a 17" Dynex TV that I'm using as a monitor (hooked up via VGA) and it's also hooked up to my 42" LG TV via HDMI for
movie watching
- Web browsing (including Netflix) [Mozilla Firefox]
- Accounting - currently just starting out with this (mostly using Excel) but from what I've heard, Macs don't handle accounting software
very well. However, if I got a Mac, I would keep my current laptop and use it for anything my Mac couldn't do
- Very minimal (if any) gaming

Why I'm thinking of switching:

- I've found over the past few years of owning my own PC's, I've been having to upgrade almost every two years and it's been getting
frustrating in that regard - I tend to upgrade because I find my computers get laggier and laggier
- I really like the UI of iOS and how intuitive it is
- I have an iPhone and iPad which I feel would work even better with a Mac (it would essentially complete the ecosystem)
- When I do anything moderately intensive (such as using iTunes before v11 was released), open lots of tabs in Mozilla Firefox, use
certain streaming services (mostly the ones that bands use to stream concerts) my laptop gets super hot (even though I'm using a
cooling mat) and my PC will crash.
- Simple things are starting to make my computer lag out which is pretty frustrating.
- If I stay with Windows I'd be getting Windows 8 most likely, so I'd have to learn a new OS either way

Why I'm kind of on the fence:

- I'd have to learn a whole new OS
- Macs are pricier so if I'll still have to upgrade every two years I'll be no further ahead and I'll just be wasting more money
- Macs seem to be less compatible with programs than Windows
- I'd be boxing myself in completely into the Apple ecosystem
- I've been told multiple times that if I put the amount of money that I would put into a Mac into a PC instead, that the performance I'd
get from Windows would be much better
- For Apple products, I'm mainly considering a 21.5" iMac and the Mac Mini as these seem to be the most reasonably priced and would suite my needs
but the iMac doesn't even have an HDMI port and the Mac Mini has an HDMI port but I don't see how I could hook up dual monitors like I'm using now

Here's what I'm currently running:
I paid $500 CAD for it in November or December of 2010.

Anyone who has made a switch from Mac to Windows, Windows to Mac or people who have experience with both OS's want to give me some advice/guidance? Any advice is greatly appreciated.

I'm not a fanboy for either company (lately, I've just enjoyed how my Apple products have worked), I'm just not particularly computer savy and just want to have a really consistent experience where I don't have to worry about the maintenance and upkeep of my computer.
03:50 PM on 12/01/12 
User Info.
Cøltøn
Winnipeg, MB
Male - 23 Years Old
I have both and because of work and school, I use my Windows PC a whole lot more. In fact, I hardly turn on the Mac.

But if you were thinking of going Mac, they do offer Office software ($$), and software that can run both Mac OS and Windows ($$).
Why do you find yourself using the Windows PC more than the Mac?

Why I'm kind of on the fence:

- I'd have to learn a whole new OS You'll pick it up in no time
- Would I still be able to download and unzip .rar and .zip files? Yes, absolutely.
- Macs are pricier so if I'll still have to upgrade every two years I'll be no further ahead and I'll just be wasting more money Not necessarily
- Macs seem to be less compatible with programs than Windows Not necessarily, depends on what programs you need
- I'd be boxing myself in completely into the Apple ecosystem true
- I've been told multiple times that if I put the amount of money that I would put into a Mac into a PC instead, that the performance I'd
get from Windows would be much better Perhaps
Thanks!
08:25 PM on 12/01/12 
User Info.
Cøltøn
Winnipeg, MB
Male - 23 Years Old
Ubuntu is kickass as well, as the above poster said. And you aren't gaming, so you wouldn't miss out on that. You might want to consider downloading Ubuntu alongside Windows on your current PC to see how you like it. It's extremely easy to do: http://www.ubuntu.com/download/deskt...dows-installer
I'll definitely check this out. I've heard of Ubuntu, but never actually looked into it all that much.

Windows 8 is the shittiest thing to ever be on a computer. I'm a Windows guy, but I might be making the move to Mac next time I buy a computer.
I'm not really sure how I really feel about it either - and that's part of what is influencing my decision.

I say there's no reason to switch to mac. You definitely will be able to build/customize your own PC with better specs, while spending less money compared to buying a mac. For more business uses like accounting, I'd suggest a PC as well. If you were to switch to mac, learning to use one and the OS shouldn't be hard at all, and if you're thinking of getting a laptop, they are pretty thin and really easy to travel with. But there isn't much a mac can do that a PC can't.... Unless you want to use garage band, which is a shitty recording software, and there's a software on PC that mirrors what garage band does.

thats my 2 cents.
Ok, here's my take. Apple products are beautiful and efficient and almost never have problems. I owned a Mac Book pro for 5 years. Loved it. Best piece of tech Ive ever owned. When it came time to buy a new computer, the price became hard to swallow. As I shopped around I began to notice that I could buy a mid to top of line PC for the price of a base Mac. I have a Sony Vaio S series and am loving it. Blu ray player, 12 Gigs of ram, 1tb of memory, 15' 1080p screen. Not to mention the laptop itself is easy on the eyes, sleek, thin and lightweight. All for a price less than a basic Macbook pro.
I got a Mac laptop for school and I have loved it. I want to get a desktop and was looking at the iMac. While not the reason, I definitely wanted to try some gaming on it for Skyrim and Battlefield. Through research I was brought to pretty much everything but a Mac for a powerful system, and now I will probably be building my own PC. I love iOS and the look and feel of a Mac, but their prices are outrages, and it seems that if you keep up with upgrading, you system should run and will still probably have saved money. I will miss iOS, but at least I still have my laptop for that.

Just wanted to thank you guys for all the input! Will definitely take all of this into consideration.
07:50 AM on 12/03/12 
User Info.
Cøltøn
Winnipeg, MB
Male - 23 Years Old
I switched from Windows to Mac nearly 5 years ago and haven't looked back. I use my computers for pretty much exactly what you use yours for and performance has been a shit load better - to the point where I haven't even considered buying a Windows product since (though I haven't had chance to try Windows 8 yet).

Apple take a lot of crap from people because their computers are so expensive, and it's true that you could get yourself a seriously high-spec Windows machine for the price. However, the problem I've always had with Windows has nothing to do with the spec. It's Windows itself that's awful. I'd had enough with the crashes, error messages, 'program not responding' errors and nothing happening when you click 'end now', and the general lagginess that Windows gives you after a few months usage. In regards to software - most programs now have a Mac version, and otherwise you're able to use Bootcamp to create a Windows partition and easily switch between the two.

So I'm definitely on the Mac side of this argument. I'm on my second iMac now and never experienced any kind of crash, freeze, lag or anything similar. OSX is incredibly simple and clean to use, boots up/shuts down faster and is overall more pleasant to use than Windows in my opinion. You'll find that iTunes, iWork (Apple's MS Office) and Safari are lightning fast and way more slick. Plus, iCloud and syncing are far quicker on a Mac, so your iPhone and iPad will benefit hugely from it.

There are a bunch of people who are against Apple because of their prices or because they're considered to be style products, and I do understand why. But my family members have laptops and PCs with higher specs than my iMac, but they're still pieces of shit. My brother-in-law has formatted his £800 laptop 4 times this year because it just broke down on him for no apparent reason. And he's totally tech literate, so it's not because he's an idiot.

So yeah.. I'd say get a Mac.
Bought an iMac last year and haven't looked back. I don't mind Windows (although I don't find the 'IF YOU KNOW WHAT YOU'RE DOING IT WON'T EVER BE SLUGGISH' argument very convincing), but I much prefer OSX.
I made the switch three years ago. I felt exactly like you feel now about both sides, to be honest. I was having pretty consistent issues with the Windows OS and felt like it was a constant struggle to have it run as it was supposed to. I started with a used MacBook Pro and quickly moved onto an iMac. OSX runs smoothly, hardly any issues or frustration, and it works how it should. I use my computer for the same things you do and it's just a pleasure to use.
I had Windows until about 4 years ago when my then Windows computer decided for the millionth time to open 500 windows and freeze. I punched a hole in that piece of shit, bought an iMac and have never looked back. Seriously, Apple is an excellent company and Mac is highly worth the jump.
I've been looking on the Apple site and a couple more issues I have forgotten to address (I'll edit OP right away) are that I've been looking at the 21.5" iMac and the Mac Mini as these seem to be the most reasonably priced and would suite my needs. However, with my current set up, I've got my laptop hooked up to a 17" Dynex TV that I'm using as a monitor (hooked up via VGA) and it's also hooked up to my 42" LG TV via HDMI.

The iMac doesn't even have an HDMI port (WTF?!) and the Mac Mini has an HDMI port but I don't see how I could hook up dual monitors like I'm using now. I'd honestly rather go with the iMac but the lack of an HDMI port completely kills it for me. I've found an adapter (Thunderbolt to HDMI) online but it only seems to support video with no audio. So if anyone could offer me suggestions in this regard, that would be great.

Just wanna thank everyone again for all the advice and let you know that I've been reading all of it and I'm really taking all points into consideration.
08:47 AM on 12/03/12 
User Info.
Cøltøn
Winnipeg, MB
Male - 23 Years Old
a decent amount of people that i know that use macs (40% maybe?) are using bootcamp to run windows anyway. OP's specs aren't really bad, but not exactly great either. if you are on the fence then you should just stay put until a reason comes along that tips the scales one way or the other.
So far, I have to say, that this is what I'm most likely going to do. I'm thinking I might just wipe my laptop and do a re-install of Windows 7. Hopefully that will help with some of the issues I'm having.
10:26 AM on 12/03/12 
User Info.
Cøltøn
Winnipeg, MB
Male - 23 Years Old
What are you running for an anti-virus?
AVG Free

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music