Theseventhson
Barry Lyndon
04:45 PM on 10/08/12 
User Info.
theDrivingSnow
I wouldn't know.
Portland, OR
Male
Those are probably my two favorite Kubricks.
05:30 PM on 10/08/12 
User Info.
Tetragrammaton
Male - 25 Years Old
Barry Lyndon is a masterpiece.
08:03 PM on 10/08/12 
User Info.
jawstheme
I'm not here. This isn't happening.
Pennsylvania
Male - 28 Years Old
They're both worth watching but if you're asking which is better its Barry Lyndon.
08:23 PM on 10/08/12 
User Info.
Tetragrammaton
Male - 25 Years Old
1. 2001: A Space Odyssey
2. Dr. Strangelove
3. Barry Lyndon
4. Paths of Glory
5. The Killing
6. Lolita
7. A Clockwork Orange
8. Eyes Wide Shut
9. The Shining
10. Full Metal Jacket
11. Killer's Kiss
12. Spartacus
13. Fear and Desire
08:34 PM on 10/08/12 
User Info.
theDrivingSnow
I wouldn't know.
Portland, OR
Male
Dr. Strangelove is a bit overrated if you ask me.
08:48 PM on 10/08/12 
User Info.
Tetragrammaton
Male - 25 Years Old
Dr. Strangelove is a bit overrated if you ask me.

You longfaced, overdressed anarchist.
09:13 PM on 10/08/12 
User Info.
theDrivingSnow
I wouldn't know.
Portland, OR
Male
Pretty cool.

03:35 PM on 10/09/12 
User Info.
Tetragrammaton
Male - 25 Years Old
To everyone, what do you think of this list ran two months ago of the greatest working directors?

http://www.guardian.co.uk/film/2012/...ors-world-2012

Lynne Ramsey does not belong based off her last film, Nicolas Winding Refn is not good, and Jason Reitman is a hack. I don't think I have ever seen a Joss Whedon film but he has never made anything that looks interesting either. Terrence Malick at 22 below charlatans like Steve McQueen is goofy.
03:55 PM on 10/09/12 
User Info.
josepablo32
Somos libres carajo!
Monterrey, NL
Male - 23 Years Old
To everyone, what do you think of this list ran two months ago of the greatest working directors?

Lynne Ramsey does not belong based off her last film, Nicolas Winding Refn is not good, and Jason Reitman is a hack. I don't think I have ever seen a Joss Whedon film but he has never made anything that looks interesting either. Terrence Malick at 22 below charlatans like Steve McQueen is goofy.
Didn't like Drive?
04:00 PM on 10/09/12 
User Info.
theDrivingSnow
I wouldn't know.
Portland, OR
Male

I think it's a terrible list to be frank. I agree with all your points except I like Refn and McQueen; not sure why you call the latter a charlatan.

Pedro Costa is the most glaring omission; he would be my top choice if it weren't for Philippe Grandrieux, but I wouldn't expect a mainstream-leaning publication like Guardian to select him. Though, unlike Costa, he's released something relatively recently. And no Claire Denis?! Get the fuck outta here.

I like Leos Carax, but until Holy Motors (which I haven't yet seen) he hadn't produced a feature since '99, so it seems weird to include and rank him so highly. As you said, Ramsay blew any chance with We Need to Talk About Kevin, a revolting film. Speaking of which, depending on how Simon Killer is, Antonio Campos might deserve a place; I really liked Afterschool, which starred Ezra Miller. Bruno Dumont should probably be in the running, too.
04:07 PM on 10/09/12 
User Info.
theDrivingSnow
I wouldn't know.
Portland, OR
Male
How the fuck did the Guardian and I neglect to mention Nuri Bilge Ceylan? And Weerasethakul?

And Haneke is a bit overrated, but c'mon, have to include him.
04:39 PM on 10/09/12 
User Info.
Tetragrammaton
Male - 25 Years Old

It is okay. I don't like the other two films of his.

I think it's a terrible list to be frank. I agree with all your points except I like Refn and McQueen; not sure why you call the latter a charlatan.

What about McQueen do you like? Hunger was all right but Shame is a disaster.
04:49 PM on 10/09/12 
User Info.
theDrivingSnow
I wouldn't know.
Portland, OR
Male
It is okay. I don't like the other two films of his.

What about McQueen do you like? Hunger was all right but Shame is a disaster.
I don't think either of them are amazing or anything (I too preferred Hunger), but I think he's a promising director. "Charlatan" seems a strange word to describe him, unless you have some evidence to back up the implicit statement of such a claim.
04:50 PM on 10/09/12 
User Info.
theDrivingSnow
I wouldn't know.
Portland, OR
Male
TAKE NOTES CRITERION

Quote:
Sokurov: Early Masterworks

Independent distributors Cinema Guild have officially announced that they will release a deluxe box set containing three early masterworks from Russian filmmaker Alexander Sokurov. The set will be available to own on December 18, 2012.

Never before available on home video anywhere in the world, the set includes Whispering Pages (on Blu-ray and restored from a 35mm negative recently discovered in Germany), Stone (DVD only) and Save and Protect (DVD only) in new director's cuts, all with new English translations, plus rare bonus material including four documentaries by Alexander Sokurov.

Whispering Pages

The pages that whisper through this brooding, beautiful tone poem are from nineteenth-century Russian literature, primarily Dostoevsky's Crime and Punishment. An anonymous man wanders through decomposing, fog-enshrouded catacombs and encounters a series of "the degraded and the humiliated," including a holy prostitute and a Kafkaesque bureaucrat. Shot partly in Sokurov's dreamlike black and white with a dense sound track of eerie, echoing voices and bursts of mournful Mahler.

Stone

"If ever a film replicated the state of dreaming, Stone does. Which is not to say it is, in the classical sense, surreal; but it has the flow and fugitive feeling of a half-remembered reverie, full of mysteries, portents, inexplicable happenings, and chimerical objects. Set in (and filmed in the actual) Chekhov museum, Stone centers on the relationship between a young museum guard and an older visitor who seems at different times to be a lover, a doctor, or a surrogate father. Shot in evanescent black and white with a sound track of silences, breathing, natural sounds, and fragments of classical music, Stone is haunting and enigmatic" (James Quandt)

Save and Protect

A retelling of Gustave Flaubert's Madame Bovary as a surreal story of universal suffering, the film emphasizes the heroine's internal transformation as she slowly loses her grip on reality. Her erotic fascination with rich clothing and her almost childish desire to seduce and to be lost in passion is brilliantly contrasted with the small-town life that leaves Emma tragically isolated in her passionate attempt to bridge the gap between spirituality and sensuality.

Bonus features include:

Disc One – Whispering Pages (Blu-ray)
An Example of Intonation (1991, 48 minutes)
Soviet Elegy (1992, 68 minutes)
Questions About Cinema, a documentary on Alexander Sokurov (2008, 60 minutes)
Disc Two – Stone (DVD)
Audio commentary by film scholar James Quandt
Diary of St. Petersburg: Kozintsev's Flat (1998, 48 minutes)
"The House That Chekhov Built," a BBC audio program on Anton Chekhov's house in Yalta, the setting for STONE (30 minutes)
Sonata for Hitler (1979-1989, 10 minutes)
Disc Three – Save and Protect (DVD)
SD copy of Whispering Pages (1994, 70 minutes)

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Submit News
CONNECT
Forums
Contests
RSS
Mobile Version
Banners, Flyers, Widgets