Username
Password

09:01 AM on 03/30/08 
User Info.
TJ Wells
i'll see you at the movies.
Portland, OR
Male - 27 Years Old
Just saw Baumbach's Kicking and Screaming and Jarmusch's Night on Earth. Kicking and Screaming is a great little film, certainly miles better than Margot at the Wedding. Tons of great quotes. Night on Earth is hit or miss, not nearly as good as Coffee and Cigarettes (which I think works better because the vignettes are shorter).
04:16 PM on 03/30/08 
User Info.
reductiondesign
////////
Phoenix, AZ
Male - 24 Years Old
Oh man, you just saw Kicking and Screaming?

Endless quotes. Great film.
07:18 PM on 03/30/08 
User Info.
aminorthreat55
Bunuelito!
Baltimore, Maryland
Male
Just saw Baumbach's Kicking and Screaming and Jarmusch's Night on Earth. Kicking and Screaming is a great little film, certainly miles better than Margot at the Wedding. Tons of great quotes. Night on Earth is hit or miss, not nearly as good as Coffee and Cigarettes (which I think works better because the vignettes are shorter).
What else have you seen from Jarmusch? I've only seen Down By Law and Stranger Than Paradise and am curious how his more recent stuff stacks up against his early work.
07:28 PM on 03/30/08 
User Info.
reductiondesign
////////
Phoenix, AZ
Male - 24 Years Old
What else have you seen from Jarmusch? I've only seen Down By Law and Stranger Than Paradise and am curious how his more recent stuff stacks up against his early work.

You should check out Dead Man.
07:44 PM on 03/30/08 
User Info.
aminorthreat55
Bunuelito!
Baltimore, Maryland
Male
Assuming no one checks it out between now and tomorrow morning, I think I'm going to watch Salo tomorrow afternoon.
04:00 AM on 03/31/08 
User Info.
TJ Wells
Portland, OR
Male - 27 Years Old
I've seen Stranger than Paradise, Coffee and Cigarettes, Night on Earth and Broken Flowers. Broken Flowers certainly has more plot than his earlier films. Coffee and Cigarettes & Night on Earth are very similar (a collection of vignettes); the first all take place over...coffee and cigarettes, and the other takes place in five different cabs in five different cities (L.A., New York, Paris, Rome, Helsinki) over one night. C&C is better.
04:03 AM on 03/31/08 
User Info.
TJ Wells
Portland, OR
Male - 27 Years Old
Oh man, you just saw Kicking and Screaming?

Endless quotes. Great film.

"There's food in the beer."

"Is that a pajama top?"

"Cool! A dictionary! I'm gonna look up "blowjob.""

Grover: Oh, I've been to Prague. Well, I haven't "been to Prague" been to Prague, but I know that thing, that, "Stop shaving your armpits, read the Unbearable Lightness of Being, date a sculptor, now I know how bad American coffee is thing...”
Jane: Beer, they have good beer there.
Grover: "... now I know how bad American beer is thing."

My favorite ones.
08:58 AM on 03/31/08 
User Info.
aminorthreat55
Bunuelito!
Baltimore, Maryland
Male
Assuming no one checks it out between now and tomorrow morning, I think I'm going to watch Salo tomorrow afternoon.
I just picked this up; word on whether or not it is vomit-inducing within a few hours.
09:57 AM on 03/31/08 
User Info.
Ravenna
flinching
I just picked this up; word on whether or not it is vomit-inducing within a few hours.
Haha. Id be suprised if it wasn't.
12:41 PM on 03/31/08 
User Info.
aminorthreat55
Bunuelito!
Baltimore, Maryland
Male
Haha. Id be suprised if it wasn't.
Salo was nowhere near as hard to watch as I thought it would be. Many of the acts are literally and figuratively distanced such that, while still being morally objectionable such as Marquis de Sade intended, are more tolerable and less visceral than the thought of them would generally illicit. For example, imagine if the guys in the classic lemonparty picture had clothes on and the picture was taken from 50-100 feet away. While still disgusting, it wouldn't be anywhere near as shocking as the present picture. Such is Salo, and it benefits from this by limiting the violence etc. to being more morally offensive than visually and viscerally offensive. As a result, the viewer is more directed towards the message instead of having a fixation on how disturbing the images are.

Definitely worth the viewing, although the old Criterion edition is ugly and not particularly worthy of their name, so its a good thing that they are rereleasing it.
02:15 PM on 03/31/08 
User Info.
Ravenna
flinching
Salo was nowhere near as hard to watch as I thought it would be. Many of the acts are literally and figuratively distanced such that, while still being morally objectionable such as Marquis de Sade intended, are more tolerable and less visceral than the thought of them would generally illicit. For example, imagine if the guys in the classic lemonparty picture had clothes on and the picture was taken from 50-100 feet away. While still disgusting, it wouldn't be anywhere near as shocking as the present picture. Such is Salo, and it benefits from this by limiting the violence etc. to being more morally offensive than visually and viscerally offensive. As a result, the viewer is more directed towards the message instead of having a fixation on how disturbing the images are.

Definitely worth the viewing, although the old Criterion edition is ugly and not particularly worthy of their name, so its a good thing that they are rereleasing it.
Hm. Interesting review. I'm more inclined to see it now.

How was the shit-eating feast scene?
02:59 PM on 03/31/08 
User Info.
aminorthreat55
Bunuelito!
Baltimore, Maryland
Male
Hm. Interesting review. I'm more inclined to see it now.

How was the shit-eating feast scene?
Not that bad, there are only two or maybe three close-ups of people actually putting it into their mouths, the rest is at a distance. There's way more talking about shit than actually seeing it.
08:07 PM on 03/31/08 
User Info.
Ravenna
flinching
Not that bad, there are only two or maybe three close-ups of people actually putting it into their mouths, the rest is at a distance. There's way more talking about shit than actually seeing it.
Honestly, I'm a little disappointed. I thought you were going to come back complaining about being scarred for life, and in a constant state of nausea, and never being able to eat chocolate ice cream again. I guess everything I've read was a little overstated. Then again, we live in an age of 2 girls and 1 cup...
10:06 PM on 03/31/08 
User Info.
aminorthreat55
Bunuelito!
Baltimore, Maryland
Male
Honestly, I'm a little disappointed. I thought you were going to come back complaining about being scarred for life, and in a constant state of nausea, and never being able to eat chocolate ice cream again. I guess everything I've read was a little overstated. Then again, we live in an age of 2 girls and 1 cup...
Exactly. Between that, lemonparty, tubgirl, and whatnot, I think we're a little bit desensitized.
01:00 AM on 04/01/08 
User Info.
TJ Wells
Portland, OR
Male - 27 Years Old
Jules Dassin (Rififi) passes away at 96.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos