AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Interview
Hint: Have a band you'd like to see interviewed? Tell us.

Twister - 12.3.12

Interviewed by: Gregory Robson (12/03/12)
Though they've yet to make a splash stateside, the UK quartet Twister are making waves in their native England. Vocalist Stevie Stoker recently took time out of their schedule to answer ten brief questions. For more information on the band, head to their website.

AP: How important was the Surface Unsigned Festival to your band and moving you forward in the last two years?
Stevie: The Surface Unsigned Festival was massive for the band. It put us into an environment where we were competing with some of the best bands in the country in some of the best venues. It helped us move on from just writing and performing songs to creating a real show, a spectacle. Also with the amount of shows we did in different cities, it helped raise the band's profile.

AP: Both Joy Formidable and Gem Archer have come out in support of your band. What were those moments like? How do their comments propel you in moving forward every day?
Stevie: It's always nice to hear that people like what we do, but for it to come from people we admire means the world to us.

AP: You're influenced by everyone from Motion City Soundtrack to Stereophonics to Green Day to Led Zeppeln, given that, how would you best describe your sound to people who don't know your music?
Stevie: We are an energetic and powerful band, with distinctive guitar lines, catchy melodies and lyrics full of personal emotion. A band that people can connect with. <long pause> We hope.

AP: What do you hope listeners get from listening to Twister?
Stevie: We hope that people can identify with what we write about and can take the positive out of the negative and always look for the bright-side.

AP: You guys are from Durham, in the northeastern part of the UK? What's the music scene there like? Is Durham much of a town for live music? Or do you have to travel to other cities to get the flow going?
Stevie
: Durham is a great place to live but, to get really involved in a big music scene you do have to go to the major cities: Birmingham, London, Liverpool, Manchester, Newcastle.

AP: You've gotten rave reviews for your live set, how hard is to to capture that energy and sense of presence in studio efforts?
Stevie: I think this is something every band struggles with. <pause>? We treat it as a live performance. Every time we play the songs is as if its the most important.

AP: What's the most personal song you (Stevie) have written to date, and can you describe the story behind it?
Stevie: The majority of our tracks are close to home. <pause> I think I would have to say one of our new tracks ĎThe I.O.Pí (The Inconvenience of Priorities) is personal to me but for different reasons. It isnít directly connected with me but it concerns people I care about.

AP: Given the previous question, how much of your songs are from personal history and how much are created out of your imagination?
Stevie: All of our songs are personal. However we re-live and expand on our experiences though the characters we create.

AP: What are five discs you can't stop spinning this year?
Stevie: Green Day. They're awesome as f**k; Ben Howard's Every Kingdom; Tremonti's All I Was; Led Zeppelin's Mother Ship and Coldplay's Mylo Xyloto.

AP: What are three of the best bands you've seen live in the past couple years?
Stevie: Black Stone Cherry, Coldplay and Green Day.

No one has commented on this interview.
You can be the first.
Options
More From This Author

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Submit News
CONNECT
Forums