AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Interview
Hint: Have a band you'd like to see interviewed? Tell us.

The Capsules - 12.04.12

Interviewed by: Jeremy Aaron (12/04/12)
The following is a mini interview of generic questions that we posed to all bands that wanted to answer:

The Capsules
(Questions answered by Julie Shields & Jason Shields)

www.thecapsules.com
www.facebook.com/thecapsules

1. How did you get your band name?

The thing we liked about “The Capsules” was that it could mean different things to different people. It could mean time capsules, space capsules, pills… it seemed to fit our vibe well and we liked that people could take their own meaning from our name. This seems to be a theme with us since it’s also how we write lyrics. We like for people to be able to make our songs what they want them to be to them.

2. How did this band get started?

Jason: Julie and I used to be in a band called Shallow. When Shallow was sort of winding down, we knew we wanted to keep writing music together, but we wanted to change things up, to simplify. So we simplified musically and also band mate wise to where we are now a three piece. We met Kevin at a friend’s wedding and clicked so it’s been a good match. Our first project together as The Capsules was to write a song for an episode of SpongeBob SquarePants so we started out together working on a really cool project.

3. What bands are you influenced by?

I think you can hear traces of some of the bands we grew up on such as Echo & The Bunnymen, My Bloody Valentine, The Jesus & Mary Chain in our music. As a matter of fact the only cover song The Capsules have ever done was ”Down On Me” by The Jesus and Mary Chain.

4. If you could tour with any bands, past or present, who would they be and why?

Julie: Probably The Cure. We grew up listening to them and we’ve seen so many awesome shows of theirs. They are always so inspirational to see live and it would be a dream to tour with them.

5. Best food to eat on tour?

Jason: We’ve been known to drive really far out of our way to hit up a Jimmy Johns.

6. Why should people listen to your band?

Julie: It’s a documented fact that listening to The Capsules gives you super powers. Ok, so it hasn’t been documented yet, but it certainly won’t make you lose your super powers that you already have.

7. If you could be any athlete, which athlete would you switch places with?

Julie: I would say a circus performer. Something about touring with such a large group of talented people sounds fun. Performing would be great alone but then to get to know a group of people who love doing what you love to do and getting to travel the country or even the world with those people sounds like fun. It is very similar to being in a band but with a lot more people.

8. If you won a Grammy, who would you thank?

Julie: I’d definitely thank the person who messed up and gave us a Grammy. Surely there’s been some kind of mistake.

9. If you could change something about the music industry, what would it be?

Something that we’ve been talking about recently since going to the studio to finish the album is how it’s sad to see so many recording studios disappearing. It’s great that bands can all have their own home studios these days, but there is something magical about getting away and going to a studio where you can focus on music 24/7. It can be really good to get out of your comfort zone and into a new environment.

10. Memorable tour experience?

Julie: One time we got sideswiped by a car in NYC during CMJ while I was sitting in the van outside the club. I chased the car down the road on foot and people were cheering me on. I felt like I won a marathon!

11. What does AP.net mean to you?

Julie: Absolutepunk.net is a great resource to hear about new releases and discover great bands. Free Music Friday is awesome!

12. What is your favorite song to play?

Jason: For whatever reason it’s usually the most fun to play newer songs. I’m really looking forward to playing “With Signs Repeating” from our new album Northern Lights & Southern Skies live.

13. What is your vacation spot of choice?

Julie: Charleston, SC or Amsterdam.

14. What music reminds you of your childhood?

Jason: My parent’s had a bunch of old ELO albums that I always used to listen to when I was a kid and they always remind me of being young. I like to think that ELO: Time was the first “space rock” album ever made.

Julie: My parents also listened to ELO a lot and I was obsessed with ELO and Olivia Newton-John as a kid so you can imagine how giddy I get when I hear the Xanadu soundtrack since it features them both. Jeff Lynne is the man!

15. If you could have any super power, what would it be? Why?

Jason: To be able to stop time for everyone but me so I could get more stuff done and do more projects.

Julie: I would love to fly! It sounds strange to people who know me because I actually hate to fly in airplanes but if I could fly on my own without worrying whether or not the pilot is tired or drunk it would probably be a pretty fun experience. I would also love to have glow in the dark hair.

16. Any pre-show superstitions or rituals?

Jason: Usually just tuning guitars and writing setlists. Sometimes right before a show is the only time you’re able to get out to see the city you’re in, so sometimes it’s nice to bust out for a minute before the show to see the town.

Julie: I use a special magical towel the night before the show for good luck.

17. What is something that most fans don't know about you?

Julie: That I have a special magical towel.

18. What is your assessment of the current state of radio? Do you think it's a place where your band could flourish?

Jason: College radio is still awesome. I love DJs playing what they want to play. The various internet stations are awesome in that way too, but it’s crowded so I think it’s hard for those folks to find a large audience. Commercial radio seems pretty tragic these days, but I haven’t lost all hope and occasionally hear some great stuff.

19. What do you like to do in your spare time?

Jason: Video games, film and video. I always have a lot of projects bouncing around in my head that I never have time to finish.

Julie: Photography and Encaustics.

20. What kind of hidden talents do you have?

Julie: I have a bit of a talent for memorizing long numbers and I started talking backwards when I was 5. Both are pretty useless.

No one has commented on this interview.
You can be the first.
Options
More From This Author

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News