AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Comments: Page 2
Displaying posts 15 - 27 of 27
09:59 PM on 12/05/12
Privr005
User Info.
Yeah Black keys too, that was the other one I was trying to think of. But like you said, this is definitely not a new issue
10:50 PM on 12/05/12
spokenword
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
They're in such a great place to leave warner and do whatever they want. Any indie would take them and give them an incredible deal
11:08 PM on 12/05/12
letdownagain
All my love to long ago.
User Info.
I thought that recent newspaper article here confirmed that they weren't on Warner anymore and were going to self-release the TAYF10 live album(s):

"Lazzara says releasing the albums themselves is the band's way of seeing whether they want to sign with another label, now that their contract with Warner Bros. is complete, or do things on their own."
02:35 AM on 12/06/12
danwastaken
User Info.
Is it really a surprise to anyone that fans of less mainstream music find it more acceptable to download pirated material? Then they will complain when all of their favourite bands break up. Young people these days simply don't see the link between buying the music and the continued development of the artists they claim to love so much. Yes you might go to all the shows but the band have probably spent a ton of money just to be there and your ten dollars or whatever is really just a drop in the ocean.

People say the music industry needs to change to counter piracy but that's mostly nonsense. Just because something is stealable doesn't mean it's harmless to do so. Music is an art form but it's still a resource, and the less money it makes the less new music we'll get. Credit to bands like TBS for actually speaking out on this instead of sugar-coating it for their fans.

End of bitter ex-band member rant.
09:31 AM on 12/06/12
Holly HoX!
User Info.
Lol
10:38 AM on 12/06/12
RyanPm40
Ryan
User Info.
When will people stop to consider that maybe the reason their band hasn't been as commercially successful since Louder Now is because their music hasn't been as good (at least, commercially, in a way that appeals to the mainstream) since Louder Now?
11:16 AM on 12/06/12
Holly HoX!
User Info.
When will people stop to consider that maybe the reason their band hasn't been as commercially successful since Louder Now is because their music hasn't been as good (at least, commercially, in a way that appeals to the mainstream) since Louder Now?

The entire genre isn't commercial
11:18 AM on 12/06/12
ForEveryHeart
No God
User Info.
I love TBS but they really don't have anybody to blame but themselves. I feel like they still think they are just as important to the scene as they were in 2002-2006 and that's just not the case. They need to change and adapt with the times. I feel like they have gotten close to that by playing Warped Tour and being a hard working band but they have lost alot of steam. That can be attributed to the fact that other bands are constantly touring and putting out solid release after solid release. You can't hate on the guys for staying home after all they all have families and lives outside of the band but that will contribute to a decline in album sales outside your dedicated fanbase. Eevn things like the Tell All Your Friends lineup reunion, the new original lineup album all seem a few years too late. I love TBS and have liked the last two albums a lot (probably more than my peers) but in my opinion as much as I like the albums they don't really stand up to their previous catalogue. I can't be the only one who shares that sentiment. I hope the best for these guys and do think that releasing material through an indie label could give them the creative freedom they need. To blame lack of success on people 'stealing' music is just a shitty excuse. Downloading has become a part of our culture and the excuse/complaint that people are stealing music is just a cop out. I have faith in these guys that they can put out an album as good or better than TAYF, WYWTB or LN but they need to take the time to analyze what makes them stand out as a band and where their skills can be utilized and to be honestly neither of the last two albums did that. IMO
11:39 AM on 12/06/12
narca9
killed the beast!
User Info.
Didn't s/t open at 17 even with all of the reunion hype? Really don't see how this band is still on a major.

And rock music still sells fine. Every genre has piracy, stop complaining.
11:47 AM on 12/06/12
Cammiecoke
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
This thread is awful. Record sales as a whole are down even number one albums debut at considerably lower numbers than they did in previous decades. I also don't see anywhere in their interview where they are complaining about their album being a success or failure. I took the record sales bit as them not knowing if a new record with Warner Bros. would make sense for the label. (I'm assuming Warners has a option to pick up with them) They are a business at will evaluate the decision as such.
03:22 PM on 12/06/12
emptyvictory
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
This thread is awful. Record sales as a whole are down even number one albums debut at considerably lower numbers than they did in previous decades. I also don't see anywhere in their interview where they are complaining about their album being a success or failure. I took the record sales bit as them not knowing if a new record with Warner Bros. would make sense for the label. (I'm assuming Warners has a option to pick up with them) They are a business at will evaluate the decision as such.
i got the same impression you did and didn't feel they were blaming or coming up with any type of excuses.
08:20 AM on 12/07/12
ChaseTx
Adam is absolutely right, rock isn't selling right now. And the bands that do sell are doing so by having crossover success on pop radio. Meanwhile rock stations are focused on music that features a lot of folk instrumentation or indie trends as opposed to straightforward rock. It's a shame, s/t was their best album since TAYF in my opinion, and I feel like some of those tracks could have been huge.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos