Password

Album Review

3 - The End is Begun Album Cover

3 - The End is Begun

Reviewed by
3The End Is Begun
Release Date: July 24th 2007
Record Label: Metal Blade

A few years ago, I arrived early to a concert in Boston. As the crowd was waiting around talking about how excited they were for the headliners, the eerie twang of a finger picked acoustic guitar starting playing from the stage as the opening band began to play. Heads turned directing full attention to the little openers kicked into a live set that blew everyone away. There were dual percussion solos, metal breakdowns and a solo classical acoustic piece that dropped every jaw in the house. When the set was over, I immediately went over to the band’s merch table and bought their most recent full length. When I got home and popped it in, I realized that much of the intensity of that live show didn’t translate at all to the studio. I set it aside and didn’t really give it too much of a listen again. That unknown band was 3, the album was their last full length Wake Pig. Imagine my surprise when I arrive home to find the band’s most recent disc on my doorstep for review. I was excited when I opened the package, hoping to give the band a new chance and a much more thorough listen. The live show stuck with me so much that this had to be better than their last release. Luckily, although it does not encapsulate the incredible performance, it is a much more inspired release from a band with a lot of potential.

3 consists of 6 members (no, this is not the start of a word problem), one of whom is the mastermind behind the project and brother of ex-Coheed and Cambria drummer Joshua Eppard (he was once in the band in the early days), Joey Eppard. Though the members now are different, the band’s sound definitely shares some incestual ties with Claudio and pals’ better-known outfit. It’s probably coincidence, but at points Eppard’s gentle vocal delivery is spot on with Claudio’s high-pitched wails. 3, however, is their own band and should be judged as such and without bias. Yes, they sound like Coheed And Cambria at points, but in some ways they are much more technical and have quite a different vision and execution in their music.

The End Is Begun starts out on on the right foot. “The World Is Born Of Flame” is a great opener that encapsulates every aspect that makes this band interesting to listen to. Immediately recognizable is classical guitarist and vocalist Joey Eppard’s finger picked chops that give way to the funky prog that peppers the rest of the disc. The band members are really quite incredible at their respective instruments. One listen to the album and you’ll find there is little way not to give the band credit for this defining strong point. They are capable of playing and incorporating many different styles of music into their sound. From upbeat ballads like “Bleeding Me Home” to the 80’s butt rock sound of “Diamond In The Crush”, most of the time the band is quite successful in executing these genre transitions. “These Iron Boots” is a shit-kicking funk infused head bobber that demonstrates the band at their best. The track culminates in an airy metal guitar solo with a syncopated ride cymbal groove that just works. Unfortunately the music is where the good ends and the band falls into old habits. This combined with a production that doesn’t capture the subtleties works against a band of this level of technicality.

The vocals on this album definitely do not match the intensity of the instruments. Often times Eppard’s gentle, reverb soaked melodies sound uninspired in front of the crashing band behind him. The exception to this is “My Divided Falling”, on which Eppard’s voice sounds strongest on the disc and surprisingly powerful. This makes me wonder where this fire was on the rest of the album. It’s funny but after listening to this disc for a month, the track is the only one that remains in my head after the immediate listen is over. It’s difficult to put a finger on why this phenomenon exists because all of the makings of a great band are present, from the musical expertise of the band members to the vocals that we know Eppard is at least capable of. Some of it can be found in the general similarity in sound between many riffs but much of it can be attributed to the way that the sound is captured. The production has changed little from their last album. The spacey vocals end up sounding disjointed from the rest of the group and much of the percussion (not the drums, the added percussion of Joe Stote) gets lost in the mix. Despite these shortcomings, the album is a giant leap forward from their last full length. If the band can continue to evolve this much and further utilize their strong points (Eppard’s classical pickings, dual percussion and interesting song structure), the follow up to The End Is Begun could turn some heads. If you are a fan of Coheed and Cambria (enough to like similar sounding bands at least), The End Is Begun might be your cup of tea. For now, if the band comes to your town, give them a listen because the live show is more than worth it. Unfortunately, I’m left still waiting for an album that can capture the intensity the band shows on the stage.

Tracklisting1. The Word Is Born Of Flame
2. The End Is Begun
3. Battle Cry
4. All That Remains
5. My Divided Falling
6. Serpents In Disguise
7. Been To The Future
8. Bleeding Me Home
9. Live Entertainment
10. Diamond In The Crush
11. Shadow Play
12. These Iron Bones
13. The Last Day
Listen to 3AP.net Profile | Myspace | Purevolume | Metal Blade Site
This review is a user submitted review from Tom Good. You can see all of Tom Good's submitted reviews here.

Displaying posts 1 - 12 of 12
11:56 AM on 02/17/08
llmp
Incorrigality
User Info.
3 has a handful of great songs, the rest are meh. Mostly I just listen to their instrumentals.

Though I haven't listened to this yet.
11:57 AM on 02/17/08
Tom Good
Album Reviewer
User Info.
3 has a handful of great songs, the rest are meh.

Though I haven't listened to this yet.
Really? Because you pretty much just pinpointed it. haha
05:55 AM on 02/18/08
TyroneShoolaces
User Info.
I've never seen a better live band in my entire life. I highly suggest attending.
05:56 AM on 02/18/08
slugworth607
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Ha, I had this same experience, except this was before the release of the their second album, Summercamp Nightmare. Same thing, blown away by the live show, but bored by the album Paint By Number (though that one really grew on me, a classic). I would recommend their live album, Half-Life, it really captures the concert experience as well as 3's funk phase, which was the best in my opinion.
07:53 AM on 02/18/08
martinchisholm
User Info.
I think thats a spot on review, i saw them with atreyu and thought they sounded amazing but icant get into the cd much at all// I definitely agree that you should try see them live tho
10:08 AM on 02/18/08
Gumbyjag
Everything Evil
User Info.
good album
11:42 AM on 02/18/08
CrimsonJihad
User Info.
im not sure. i can see where you're going with the live performance/record intensity problem, but i think wake pig was a great record in its own right. this, truthfully, i havent gotten into much, but that could be because i dont own it lol. these guys are super unrated though, i think.

and their music video is at a castle. if thats not boss, i dont know what is.
04:44 PM on 02/19/08
Ambelina
butterflies and butcher knives
User Info.
Just out of curiousity Tom, do you own the Planet Noise Records release of Wake Pig (red cover) or the Metal Blade rerelease (black cover)?

Today Metal Blade Records released the Special Edition of The End is Begun. The album is repackaged and there is an additional track... a unique cover of the Syd Barrett-era Pink Floyd classic, "See Emily Play." Back-up vocals feature Joey, Billy, Daniel, Joe, Anni Krueger, Max, Gartdrumm's sweet little girl and yours truly. :)

There is also a bonus DVD included with some live footage as well as their music videos.

You can pick up a copy at most major music retailers around the US. Metal Blade Records is also offering a sweet package that includes a t-shirt you can't get anywhere else.

Tracklist:
1. The Word Is Born Of Flame
2. The End Is Begun
3. Battle Cry
4. All That Remains
5. My Divided Falling
6. Serpents In Disguise
7. Been To The Future
8. Bleeding Me Home
9. Live Entertainment
10. Diamond In The Crush
11. Shadow Play
12. These Iron Bones
13. The Last Day
14. See Emily Play (Pink Floyd cover)*
Bonus DVD:*
Live in Worchester, MA April 28, 2007
1. Monster
2. Bramfatura
3. Amaze Disgrace
4. Bramfatura (Alternate Version)
Music Videos
1. Alien Angel
2. All That Remains

click here to purchase CD+DVD+t-shirt package

HMV Canada ($19.99 CDN), Barnes & Noble ($13.99), Best Buy ($12.99), FYE ($10.49), Sam Goody ($10.49), Target ($13.98), Virgin Megastores ($10.00)

P.S. the mellow-ness of the vocals could be attributed to the fact that Joey was highly influenced by Imogen Heap at the time of the recording. I find his vocal strength on the album is not overused and is well placed anyhow. If you don't think there's enough of vocal capability, then what you're looking for is his solo work. http://www.myspace.com/joeyeppard
09:33 AM on 02/20/08
mr chainsaw
lets all go to the magician's b-day
User Info.
Just out of curiousity Tom, do you own the Planet Noise Records release of Wake Pig (red cover) or the Metal Blade rerelease (black cover)?

Today Metal Blade Records released the Special Edition of The End is Begun. The album is repackaged and there is an additional track... a unique cover of the Syd Barrett-era Pink Floyd classic, "See Emily Play." Back-up vocals feature Joey, Billy, Daniel, Joe, Anni Krueger, Max, Gartdrumm's sweet little girl and yours truly. :)

There is also a bonus DVD included with some live footage as well as their music videos.

You can pick up a copy at most major music retailers around the US. Metal Blade Records is also offering a sweet package that includes a t-shirt you can't get anywhere else.

Tracklist:
2. The End Is Begun
3. Battle Cry
4. All That Remains
5. My Divided Falling
6. Serpents In Disguise
7. Been To The Future
8. Bleeding Me Home
9. Live Entertainment
10. Diamond In The Crush
11. Shadow Play
12. These Iron Bones
13. The Last Day
1. Monster
2. Bramfatura
3. Amaze Disgrace
Music Videos
1. Alien Angel
2. All That Remains

HMV Canada ($19.99 CDN), Barnes & Noble ($13.99), Best Buy ($12.99), FYE ($10.49), Sam Goody ($10.49), Target ($13.98), Virgin Megastores ($10.00)

P.S. the mellow-ness of the vocals could be attributed to the fact that Joey was highly influenced by Imogen Heap at the time of the recording. I find his vocal strength on the album is not overused and is well placed anyhow. If you don't think there's enough of vocal capability, then what you're looking for is his solo work. http://www.myspace.com/joeyeppard

Yes thanks for posting that sweet deal...just ordered. I am stoked 3 is playing with Dream Theater in May...such a huge tour for the band.

The metal blade version of Wake Pig has those amazing bonus tracks.
09:11 PM on 04/20/08
Tom Good
Album Reviewer
User Info.

Tracklist:
2. The End Is Begun
3. Battle Cry
4. All That Remains
5. My Divided Falling
6. Serpents In Disguise
7. Been To The Future
8. Bleeding Me Home
9. Live Entertainment
10. Diamond In The Crush
11. Shadow Play
12. These Iron Bones
13. The Last Day
1. Monster
2. Bramfatura
3. Amaze Disgrace
Music Videos
1. Alien Angel
2. All That Remains

Nah, I just have the one that I bought on the tour. Maybe I'll check it out though.
07:03 AM on 09/03/08
furey
hard action- hot reaction
User Info.
i think this was a good album. there were songs that hit it for me so i'm okay with it

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos