Whenever I see your avatar I think, "Who didn't ban Blitz?"

I was going to make it Teemo, but I figured people would hate me for it
12:09 PM on 12/06/12 
User Info.
WeltallAY
Je suis l'Alpha et l'Oméga
L’Amérique du Nord
Male - 26 Years Old
Perhaps we're all just getting too old for pop-punk. Most people seem to grow out of it.

Ding ding ding. Out of all the music I've listened to on my life pop-punk and nu-metal are the only genres I can only listen to a select handfull of bands and have to be in a very certain mood. I feel besides the lyrics being often immature and relating to a certain time of life, the instrumentation is often similar as well as the vocals. Now if I listen to a newer pop/punk band (say TWY) it sounds bratty, too simplistic, and overall uninteresting.
12:40 PM on 12/06/12 
User Info.
CoopDawg
The plan keeps coming up again...
Black Mesa Research...
G-Man - 22 Years Old
The only "new" pop-punk band I find myself listening to these days is The Dangerous Summer. In fact, I think that's the only pop-punk band I listen to nowadays (though whether people consider them actual pop-punk is debatable.)
01:42 PM on 12/06/12 
User Info.
Zac Djamoos
fantasizing the sight of manhattan
NJ
Male - 16 Years Old
Staff Member
I like new pop punk bands who sound like old pop punk bands.
02:57 PM on 12/06/12 
User Info.
DevinDomino
FUCKyeah
Austin, Texas
Male - 21 Years Old
I wouldn't say that pop-punk is dead. I just can't get into it because I've grown from that. I still listen to new music from bands I liked growing up that are still doing it (Yellowcard, Motion City Soundtrack, The Early November, Blink, All Time Low) but I haven't gotten into a new pop-punk band since TWY came around with Upsides, even then, I haven't listened to The Wonder Years in a while. It just doesn't reflect much of my personality now and I mostly listen to old pop punk based on nostalgia.

Edit: Fuck, I hate snapbacks.
06:09 PM on 12/06/12 
User Info.
daftpunker45
Yeezus season approaching.
Connecticut
Male - 17 Years Old
Music sucks.
06:30 PM on 12/06/12 
User Info.
CoopDawg
The plan keeps coming up again...
Black Mesa Research...
G-Man - 22 Years Old

06:41 PM on 12/06/12 
User Info.
Clarett'sGreyGoose
Tortured Sports Fan
Male - 26 Years Old
I can dig TWY and Fireworks. Thats about it.

Same for me. And a little bit of Man Overboard. But that's about it.
08:09 PM on 12/06/12 
User Info.
BozzBlonde
adieuxmusic.bandcamp.com
Lakeland, FL
Female - 21 Years Old
Transit and A Loss For Words are the only relatively new pop-punk bands I've been able to get into.
11:26 PM on 12/06/12 
User Info.
phillipjacob
@phillipjacob
Louisville
Male
It just depends on the band for me..some of the newer bands I can't get into the vocals they have.

A lot of it is just getting older and listening to more "chill" music.
10:11 AM on 12/07/12 
User Info.
Deathco_019
I demand a trial by combat.
Limerick, PA
Male - 22 Years Old
I really enjoy TWY. Aside from them, I enjoy Hostage Calm (they seem to be lumped into this scene), The Swellers, Transit, and Fireworks, but that's about it. I don't get the whole hype behind some of the new ones like The Story So Far. They just sound really bland to me.
01:31 PM on 12/07/12 
User Info.
cleanoil
usernameless
Fort Worth, TX
Male - 20 Years Old
Haha Hostage Calm are more alternative/indie if anything, and you could even go as far as saying experimental with their new album (trumpets and strings on The M Word). The only reason they're lumped with all the pop punk bands is because there's been this big sense of community with newer bands who have/had affiliation to Run For Cover Recs or No Sleep. A lot of unlikely collabs have been coming together in the punk/alt/indie scene which I think is pretty cool. (Anyone hear about the Braid/Balance and Composure split?)

Anyway, I dig some of the newer stuff, I think TWY are great, I don't know why all the hate for TSSF, but I like 'em. Fireworks are really good too, Transit are good (Patrick Stump's guest vocals on the new album rules by the way), and I don't think The Dangerous Summer has been mentioned, whom I think are a pretty good newer unique pop-punk band. I can't stand Man Overboard's new album, I thought The Human Highlight Reel was pretty cool, but the autotuned vocals on the new album ruined it for me haha.

I'm glad that whole "easycore" fad has died down at least, and bands are trying to go for a more punk oriented sound.
11:29 PM on 12/07/12 
User Info.
trevorshmevor
Tempe, AZ
Male - 25 Years Old
Most of the pop punk revival is just downright shit music. Polar Bear Club and The Swellers have both been around since the early to mid 2000's, I would not throw them in the same category as the tidal wave of bullshit that's been building up over the last few years. Fireworks is the only band I can handle a few songs of, and even most of theirs are pretty bad. I blame A Day To Remember and post-Coming Home era NFG.

On a side note, I got into a semi-argument (didn't last long because the topic was pretty inane as far as I'm concerned) with a few dudes the other day. They were your standard pop punk revival fanboys. They kept calling this stage maneuver a "posi jump":

Like I said, I wasn't going to have the discussion of what those should actually be referred to as, because it'd just be silly. But I'm pretty sure I've never heard that term before. Am I crazy? I remember seeing bands like TSL do that in music videos and on stage, pretty sure had it nothing to do with "staying posi, bro".
12:07 AM on 12/08/12 
User Info.
cleanoil
usernameless
Fort Worth, TX
Male - 20 Years Old
Most of the pop punk revival is just downright shit music. Polar Bear Club and The Swellers have both been around since the early to mid 2000's, I would not throw them in the same category as the tidal wave of bullshit that's been building up over the last few years. Fireworks is the only band I can handle a few songs of, and even most of theirs are pretty bad. I blame A Day To Remember and post-Coming Home era NFG.

I wouldn't go so far as to say the "pop punk revival" has been a "tidal wave of bullshit". I really think it's starting to become a generational thing. There'll always be fads and bullshit, but at the end of the day I don't think the "pop punk revival" should be looked as just one massive pile of shit. I think there's genuine talent, if not at least good songwriting sensibilities in a lot of newer pop punk bands, you just have to look past the countless All Time Low or NFG clones and keep an open mind and open ears. For example, newer bands like The Wonder Years and Transit actually do have their own defined sound, of course you could compare them to other bands, but what's a band without influences?
01:01 AM on 12/08/12 
User Info.
trevorshmevor
Tempe, AZ
Male - 25 Years Old
I wouldn't go so far as to say the "pop punk revival" has been a "tidal wave of bullshit". I really think it's starting to become a generational thing. There'll always be fads and bullshit, but at the end of the day I don't think the "pop punk revival" should be looked as just one massive pile of shit. I think there's genuine talent, if not at least good songwriting sensibilities in a lot of newer pop punk bands, you just have to look past the countless All Time Low or NFG clones and keep an open mind and open ears. For example, newer bands like The Wonder Years and Transit actually do have their own defined sound, of course you could compare them to other bands, but what's a band without influences?

I get what you're saying and all, and I respect it. However, it is my open mind that has led me to my conclusion on the genre. I enjoy listening to bands I haven't heard before. Trust me, I'd love to find something I'd consider a gem out of this genre. The plain truth is, though, that I've listened to a lot of them and none have stood out to me. If it's not a band that I simply just find boring, it's a band that I find to be complete bullshit (the latter being the majority here). I totally get why you might think the way you do, but I just don't agree.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos