Username
Password

Album Review - Page 3
Displaying posts 30 - 45 of 69.
02:49 PM on 12/06/12
Steeeve Perry
Pushin' th' little daisies
User Info.
dude. Tre! is pretty good actually. Much better than uno and dos. They're not a horrible band. They just have huge expectations to live up to.
Yeah exactly. From a fan's perspective, almost every album from Kerplunk to American Idiot inclusive would be a 10/10 or close (excluding those who are too cool to like American Idiot). Then, after giving us 100-odd pop punk classics, they fire out about 55 songs in three years and all people can do is bitch.
Plus, since American Idiot sold so well they have huge commercial expectations. Warning didn't sell many copies and if they continued on that path people would judge them only on content, not on sales. I heard people bagging them because Dos "only" came in at 10 on the charts. It's their tenth full length for god's sakes.
03:36 PM on 12/06/12
vivatoto56
EB was left out
User Info.
Review is more positive then this piece of shit deserves.
03:48 PM on 12/06/12
tyjvox
User Info.
One of the most spot on reviews I've ever read on this site.
03:49 PM on 12/06/12
tomtom94
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Yeah exactly. From a fan's perspective, almost every album from Kerplunk to American Idiot inclusive would be a 10/10 or close (excluding those who are too cool to like American Idiot). Then, after giving us 100-odd pop punk classics, they fire out about 55 songs in three years and all people can do is bitch.
Plus, since American Idiot sold so well they have huge commercial expectations. Warning didn't sell many copies and if they continued on that path people would judge them only on content, not on sales. I heard people bagging them because Dos "only" came in at 10 on the charts. It's their tenth full length for god's sakes.
I think the fact that Dos dropped 50k in first week sales compared to Uno is the more damning judgement on how well the trilogy's gone down. Without getting into whether you like the albums or not, I think people are entitled to complain if they feel that a band is writing lazy, mediocre songs and trying to make us pay for three albums' worth and dropping sales figures probably shows that people are voting with their wallets.

I think that there are certain people who take far too much glee in laughing at them however.
03:51 PM on 12/06/12
EvilZeppelin
FUZZZZZZ
User Info.
These albums aren't made to impress critics or to attract new fans. They're made for the people who like Green Day already, giving them a lot of [new] material. Listen to what you like, ignore the rest...
04:01 PM on 12/06/12
tdlyon
User Info.
I'm not going to call this a bad review because it is well-written and you were very respectful of my opinion on the forum, but I strongly disagree. I love this album, and think it is a lot better than Uno. Sure, the lyrics are pretty bad, but they're good when they try to be. (Lazy Bones, Ashley, Amy)
04:24 PM on 12/06/12
deanster321
BLEGH
User Info.
Nailed it.
04:41 PM on 12/06/12
Craig Manning
Down in Jungleland
User Info.
Thanks for all the compliments guys. I tried to be as fair as possible with this review. And yes, I think I'll be writing about Tre as well, but that one will be significantly more positive.

This album was a helluva lot better than Uno. It's not the best, but come on, 50%? I know it's cool to hate on Green Day now, but this was better than 21st Century or Uno. I don't get the hate, considering Uno was AWFUL.

No needless "hating on Green Day" from me. I tried to establish myself as a big fan of the band and that this album just doesn't live up to their standard. No way it's better than 21st Century, which despite a little bit of bloat, is still a terrific album. I also think it's significantly weaker than Uno, but don't expect everyone to share that opinion. Thomas gave Uno a 6. I felt this one deserved a lower mark, and I believe a 5/10 is thus, the fair mark. But no big deal if you don't agree.
05:01 PM on 12/06/12
EastCoastKid20
User Info.
I think at this point in Green Day's career they can do whatever they want without having to worry about saving the world. Every song on both albums (and the third, but that may have been for fan club members only) is extremely fun musically. It's very easy to tell that they had a blast making it and didn't worry too much about protesting, they don't have to anymore. I have fun listening to the albums because they had fun making it.

Fall Out Boy cant make another "From Under The Cork Tree" because they grew up. They're different people and that wouldn't be honest.

Motion City Soundtrack can never make another "Commit This To Memory" because Justin Pierre isn't sad about that anymore. (hints "Go" being mostly CTTM besides)

And Green Day can't write another "Dookie" because they're not angsty, pissed off 18 year olds anymore. They can't write another "American Idiot" because, like this review says, it's not 2004 anymore. We don't live in a country ran by a moron. Now we just have to pick up the piece he left. 21st Century Breakdown. Now, here we are it's almost 2013. They've said all they have to say for now. And they've given us 20+ years of fantastic music. We can't enjoy them having fun? Listen to this album again as a music lover. A Green Day lover. Not a hopeful time traveler.

If you want to listen to American Idiot, then listen to American Idiot.
05:10 PM on 12/06/12
FTank
Blank
User Info.
There are so many smart people in this thread! AP's hive mind strikes again. Dos is a good album, with a number of very memorable tracks, such as "Lazy Bones", "Ashley", and "Lady Cobra". What's worse is that Tre is the lesser of the three albums, yet users are supporting that album. Not based on true opinion, but because they feel safe to do so.
Well that's a ridiculous thing to say. You really think people only like Tre because it helps them "fit in"? Not true. Who are you to tell people what they should think? Truth is, Tre is by far the best album in the trilogy and Dos is absolutely horrendous.
05:22 PM on 12/06/12
Steeeve Perry
User Info.
Thanks for all the compliments guys. I tried to be as fair as possible with this review. And yes, I think I'll be writing about Tre as well, but that one will be significantly more positive.

No needless "hating on Green Day" from me. I tried to establish myself as a big fan of the band and that this album just doesn't live up to their standard. No way it's better than 21st Century, which despite a little bit of bloat, is still a terrific album. I also think it's significantly weaker than Uno, but don't expect everyone to share that opinion. Thomas gave Uno a 6. I felt this one deserved a lower mark, and I believe a 5/10 is thus, the fair mark. But no big deal if you don't agree.
People forget that 50 percent is not a damning score necessarily. 5/10 is the right score to match your review. The problem is this site's scoring system in the past has caused inflated scores for so many albums. It has made it seem as though 50 per cent is the lowest point possible and 100 per cent is the highest. And there is no denying a three stars out of five review looks more positive than a 60 per cent review, even though they're the same.
05:30 PM on 12/06/12
Steeeve Perry
User Info.
I think at this point in Green Day's career they can do whatever they want without having to worry about saving the world. Every song on both albums (and the third, but that may have been for fan club members only) is extremely fun musically. It's very easy to tell that they had a blast making it and didn't worry too much about protesting, they don't have to anymore. I have fun listening to the albums because they had fun making it.

Fall Out Boy cant make another "From Under The Cork Tree" because they grew up. They're different people and that wouldn't be honest.

Motion City Soundtrack can never make another "Commit This To Memory" because Justin Pierre isn't sad about that anymore. (hints "Go" being mostly CTTM besides)

And Green Day can't write another "Dookie" because they're not angsty, pissed off 18 year olds anymore. They can't write another "American Idiot" because, like this review says, it's not 2004 anymore. We don't live in a country ran by a moron. Now we just have to pick up the piece he left. 21st Century Breakdown. Now, here we are it's almost 2013. They've said all they have to say for now. And they've given us 20+ years of fantastic music. We can't enjoy them having fun? Listen to this album again as a music lover. A Green Day lover. Not a hopeful time traveler.

If you want to listen to American Idiot, then listen to American Idiot.
Spot on. Their legacy is intact. If you don't like these songs, listen to their other couple of hundred. If you do like the new ones, bonus.
05:37 PM on 12/06/12
Steeeve Perry
User Info.
I think the fact that Dos dropped 50k in first week sales compared to Uno is the more damning judgement on how well the trilogy's gone down. Without getting into whether you like the albums or not, I think people are entitled to complain if they feel that a band is writing lazy, mediocre songs and trying to make us pay for three albums' worth and dropping sales figures probably shows that people are voting with their wallets.

I think that there are certain people who take far too much glee in laughing at them however.
That's certainly possible, although casual listeners are also likely to not want to buy three albums by one band in a few months as well. And sales definitely do not match musical quality, obviously. Warning hardly sold and it's arguably their best LP front to back.
06:07 PM on 12/06/12
randys950
@randys950
User Info.
dude. Tre! is pretty good actually. Much better than uno and dos. They're not a horrible band. They just have huge expectations to live up to.
haven't listened to tre yet...but dos was terrible...
06:23 PM on 12/06/12
Craig Manning
Down in Jungleland
User Info.
People forget that 50 percent is not a damning score necessarily. 5/10 is the right score to match your review. The problem is this site's scoring system in the past has caused inflated scores for so many albums. It has made it seem as though 50 per cent is the lowest point possible and 100 per cent is the highest. And there is no denying a three stars out of five review looks more positive than a 60 per cent review, even though they're the same.

Agreed with all of this, especially the 3/5 vs 6/10 conundrum. Definitely trying to be more discerning with my ratings now. It's gotten to the point that 7s and 8s hardly meaning anything around here. I'd like to see that turn around.
Options
More From This Author
Buy the Music

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums