Username
Password

01:53 AM on 12/09/12 
User Info.
GetUpAndrew
The Things We Think We're Missing
Italy
Male - 23 Years Old
Being a shy emo/pop punk kid with swoopy hair and tight jeans in a school of arrogant rich kids that only cared about clothes and money.
02:43 AM on 12/09/12 
User Info.
Rustash
Philly Suburbs, PA
Male - 23 Years Old
21 year-old College Senior here. Early days? Finding friends was a big worry of mine, but being in band quickly resolved that. Then getting a girlfriend, and after a particularly "interesting" relationship I finally found an awesome girl who I'm still with to this day. That was all short-term stuff though, the long-term/late-stage worries were the constant feelings of having too much homework while also worrying about getting into a good enough college. Both of those stuck with me until about halfway through senior year, then I got accepted into the college I'd been looking at since 7th grade and the work seemed to get a bit easier and not feel as burdensome since my future looked more concrete.
04:29 AM on 12/09/12 
User Info.
drat!
How much cheese is too much cheese?
PA
Male - 28 Years Old
I was one of the popular kids until the middle of 9th grade. Then my dad was arrested by the FBI and all that shit was in the paper and everyone kinda knew about it and just stopped talking to me. I pretty much dropped off the radar and had to find all new friends. I pretty much hung out with the same six dudes during high school. I don't talk to anyone from my high school days anymore. When I was 19/20 I had that "coming of age" feeling when I moved across the country and had a fresh start. Now I'm a well adjusted individual... I think.
04:54 AM on 12/09/12 
User Info.
kianacarly
I'm living it, leaving it to change
PNW
Female - 22 Years Old
Pressure of college, and the pressure of being dumbed down. More so in middle school, but it was definitely not "cool" to be smart or to make it seem like you cared about your grades. Everything felt so dumbed down. Raising your hand to answer questions got you teased, and getting all A's made you an overachiever. I went from straight A's to C's and D's and stopped reading as many books. By the time high school rolled around, that kind of fell off. Most of the popular kids were in honors and AP classes, and did care. Sure, there were the typical dumb jocks and ditzy girls, but most of the well-liked and popular kids were getting great grades. However, most of my friends just barely got by and it was conflicting. It was this weird struggle about not wanting to look "too smart." By the time I realized that none of that mattered and caring about grades wasn't stupid, I had kind of coasted with mediocre marks for too long and only pulled it together junior and senior year, which I regret. Now I have terrible studying habits.
06:42 AM on 12/09/12 
User Info.
kismet
Occasionally a fan girl
Buffalo, NY
Female - 20 Years Old
I had a lot of trouble with coaches for varsity sports playing favorites. I never played one full game on varsity softball and girls that were younger than me/got cut from my travel team I play on would be starters. I dreaded every game when I would be made scorekeeper. I finally quit and the team gave me such a hard time saying I let them down. Like oh no, someone else needs to learn how to keep a book. Tragic.

I actually had pretty wonderful teachers and a solid group of friends throughout the years. Softball was the only real bump that stressed me out.
10:16 AM on 12/09/12 
User Info.
KingMax01
Theres no good in your eyes anymore
Alberta, Canada
Male - 21 Years Old
Teachers always antagonizing me for not doing homework and being embarrassed in front of the class. Everyone in high school just tried so hard to fit in so it was tough to be real around everyone
10:32 AM on 12/09/12 
User Info.
RyanPm40
Ryan
NH
Male - 21 Years Old
Teachers always antagonizing me for not doing homework and being embarrassed in front of the class. Everyone in high school just tried so hard to fit in so it was tough to be real around everyone

So... why didn't you do your fucking homework haha it was high-school, it's not that hard, I don't think I ever missed more than one assignment in a class and that was very rare..
10:34 AM on 12/09/12 
User Info.
RyanPm40
Ryan
NH
Male - 21 Years Old
Being a shy emo/pop punk kid with swoopy hair and tight jeans in a school of arrogant rich kids that only cared about clothes and money.

That was me until high school, but lucky for my town, our rich asses go to a giant high school in another town with 4,000 kids full of maaany different types of people. It was good to finally not have soccer moms telling their kids that I'm some depressed, bad influence because I had hair to my shoulders.
11:52 AM on 12/09/12 
User Info.
ChelseaRiane
<3
Buffalo, NY
Female - 22 Years Old
My cheating, lying, manipulative, stealing and ignorant ex boyfriend
12:00 PM on 12/09/12 
User Info.
RyanPm40
Ryan
NH
Male - 21 Years Old
My cheating, lying, manipulative, stealing and ignorant ex boyfriend

Same with my ex girlfriend, aside from the stealing.
01:30 PM on 12/09/12 
User Info.
Jake Denning
Corvallis, OR
Male - 24 Years Old
Staff Member
I'd say the hardest part was trying to avoid the whole drug/alcohol scene, while still trying to fit in with my other varsity athletes (I played Football and I Wrestled for 4 years). The other struggle was trying to be nice to everyone - I had a few weaker and shy classmates that I (as well as the other athletes) championed and protected, but I still made it a point to inflict torment on others who made wisecracks.
02:01 PM on 12/09/12 
User Info.
KingMax01
Theres no good in your eyes anymore
Alberta, Canada
Male - 21 Years Old
So... why didn't you do your fucking homework haha it was high-school, it's not that hard, I don't think I ever missed more than one assignment in a class and that was very rare..

Good for you buddy
02:39 PM on 12/09/12 
User Info.
RyanPm40
Ryan
NH
Male - 21 Years Old
I just wouldn't complain about something that was entirely your choice
03:04 PM on 12/09/12 
User Info.
kianacarly
I'm living it, leaving it to change
PNW
Female - 22 Years Old

I don't know why you got a hard time for this response. ia. Although I usually didn't do my homework if I didn't understand it, and in my experience, many teachers didn't make students feel very comfortable asking questions. I would be too shy or scared to ask questions, so I wouldn't do the assignments, and then the teachers would make me feel worse about it instead of trying to work with me and help me. They just didn't seem to relate to kids too much, and seemed to expect all the kids to understand right away. Ugh, and the teachers who knew I struggled would call on me in front of the class to make some sort of point, and it was so traumatizing and embarrassing. Kind of makes me want to be a teacher just to spare some kids from that haha. Not all teachers were that bad, but quite a few of them were. I dunno if you had the same experience, but it was awful and now to this day I still hate asking my professors for help.
03:29 PM on 12/09/12 
User Info.
jeffersin
I love you!
Cincinnati, OH
Male - 22 Years Old
Basically just trying to figure myself out, which I'm still trying to do. I had no idea who I was or why I acted certain ways in different situations. Also, I was learning how to juggle work and a school at the time, for the first time. Altogether, I would say high school was a lot less stressful than college has been, though.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos