Username
Password

Comments: Page 3
Displaying posts 30 - 45 of 160
02:19 PM on 12/10/12
absintheparty9
Step back. Evaluate. Recognize.
User Info.
If you look at this as "one hundred of the best alt-rock singles that generally fall under the umbrella of the mainstream definition of emo", it's as great list.

If you look at this expecting a precise list of the best songs by bands like Mineral and Rites of Spring, then you're clearly going to have a bad time.

Bitching about the precise definition of emo only makes you look like a moron who can't take things at anything more than face value. I would certainly disagree with some picks (Hawthorne Heights isn't the best at ANYTHING, hey, surprise surprise, my opinion), but it doesn't invalidate the entire list / idea.

Enjoy it for what it is, and maybe find some awesome songs you've never heard before. I've never heard Pretty Girls Make Graves - "Speakers Push the Air", but I like a bunch of other songs on this list, so maybe I'll find a new band to listen to.
Well said.
SP reference didn't go unnoticed either.
02:20 PM on 12/10/12
brook183
Leave the lunchmeat for the sharks
User Info.
I was about to bitch about Elliot - "Calm Americans" not being there, but it's there! Far too low at #80, however. My favorite "emo" song.
02:20 PM on 12/10/12
Liciakasher
This is where the fish lives
User Info.
How does one compile a list like this and leave out

?

Best emo song of all-time,
02:21 PM on 12/10/12
herestoyoufla
Still starin' down the sun
User Info.
Not sure how Best of Me by the Starting Line isn't on there. I don't get how Say Anything was completely omitted. And I sure as hell don't get how Helena ends up in the top spot. Or how Make Damn Sure is ahead of Cute Without the E. It's not the worst list ever, I just don't get some of the rankings and band omissions.
Yeah, i kept looking through the list for that one.
02:22 PM on 12/10/12
rollerman4221
Woof!
User Info.
That top 10 is pretty solid, although I would argue "Ohio is for Lovers" should definetly be #1, ill take it.
02:23 PM on 12/10/12
theHECKLER
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Please leave the Internet and never return.

Giggles
02:23 PM on 12/10/12
nickthehick2
King of France
User Info.
Girls Not Grey is damn good. I haven't listened to AFI in a while.
02:24 PM on 12/10/12
Djentleman
User Info.
Screaming Infidelities should be higher up
02:25 PM on 12/10/12
CluckyB
Modern Baseball is WAR
User Info.
Honestly I thought the list was pretty good. I mean, its a top 100 list. Its clearly going to have some bad entries. And maybe its missing a few too. But for a list of the top "emo" (pop-punkish alt-rock that tends to be primarily about relationship failings) song it really isn't that bad.
02:26 PM on 12/10/12
rawesome
Listen to Dave Hause pls
User Info.
EDIT: This list is at least a few months* old...

I first saw this last winter.
02:28 PM on 12/10/12
Sloth7
Eat Snickers, Leave Garbage
User Info.
There are a lot of good songs on this list, even if their "emo" tag is debatable.

That being said, Explosions in the Sky's inclusion stood out the most to me as I've never ever heard them described as an emo band.

Nice to see The Anniversary and Knapsack on there as well.
02:29 PM on 12/10/12
ACA
Next Show: CircaSurvive/TitleFight
User Info.
Not sure how Best of Me by the Starting Line isn't on there. I don't get how Say Anything was completely omitted. And I sure as hell don't get how Helena ends up in the top spot. Or how Make Damn Sure is ahead of Cute Without the E. It's not the worst list ever, I just don't get some of the rankings and band omissions.

Based on the other content of this list, "The Best of Me" is a big omission. Should've been on here. I bet the author would agree.

Again, based on other content, Say Anything probably could've contributed "Wow, I Can Get Sexual, Too" -- but I'm happy to see them omitted, they're a band I could do without ever being subjected to again.

"MakeDamnSure" is ahead of "Cute without the 'E' (Cut from the Team)" because it's a more popular song. Even TBS realizes this and closes with it at their shows. I prefer Cute, and I think most people who actually listen to the genre would agree, but for a list that's really all about radio play, this makes sense to me.
02:30 PM on 12/10/12
marsvoltamcr
Registered Member
User Info.
As someone who prefers the poppy stuff like MCR and Hawthorne Heights over most "real" emo, I love this list.
02:31 PM on 12/10/12
NewAgeofHorus
User Info.
MCR, emo? lol wat the fuck

I think Drowning Lessons is the best song to be released by MCR though
02:34 PM on 12/10/12
*crying stars*
... are you crazy?
User Info.
Its not THAT bad of a list.. Weird that out of all the get up kids song, the choose "Mass pike"....
They also have "Valentine" on the list, but "Mass Pike" is not even in the top 10 of 'emo' songs from The Get Up Kids, lol

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos