AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

12:23 PM on 12/14/12 
User Info.
plyb
true progress
Male - 25 Years Old
Anybody saying it ALTTP is the best needs to take those nostalgia goggle off, it's a good game, but it doesn't even begin to compare with the later console games.
First Zelda game I played was OoT. I played Wind Waker around the same time, can't say which I played first but my first experience with ALTTP was on the GBA.

A Link to the Past is a superior game, IMO. It's structured wonderfully, it properly rewards exploration, making the player find every wandering discovery feel as if it was intentional and worthwhile, and its level of difficulty is at a nice fair level. It's not Master Quest/Zelda II/Links Awakening nor is it Wind Waker/Twilight Princess/Skyward Sword whose difficulty levels have become a bit easy.

In my mind, it captures the heart of the series; along with the level of heroism intrinsic with the series, it captures th whimsy of exploration and discovery better than any game that came after it.
12:33 PM on 12/14/12 
User Info.
deanster321
BLEGH
Birmingham/Huddersfi...
Male - 23 Years Old
If any game in the series is better than Ocarina, or ALTTP even, it ain't Twilight Princess. It's still good but, aside from the art direction and Midna, I can't think of any area where it compares favourably.
12:52 PM on 12/14/12 
User Info.
StepsInADance
taeyeonlogic.tumblr.com
Miami Fl
Male - 21 Years Old
First Zelda game I played was OoT. I played Wind Waker around the same time, can't say which I played first but my first experience with ALTTP was on the GBA.

A Link to the Past is a superior game, IMO. It's structured wonderfully, it properly rewards exploration, making the player find every wandering discovery feel as if it was intentional and worthwhile, and its level of difficulty is at a nice fair level. It's not Master Quest/Zelda II/Links Awakening nor is it Wind Waker/Twilight Princess/Skyward Sword whose difficulty levels have become a bit easy.

In my mind, it captures the heart of the series; along with the level of heroism intrinsic with the series, it captures th whimsy of exploration and discovery better than any game that came after it.

Obviously you're entitled to your opinion and all, but honestly I think there are few games that reward exploration as much as Wind Waker does. I barely ever complete games 100% but the console Zelda games post-ALTTP are one of the few exceptions to the rule.

In terms of difficulty there's no way Twilight Princess is easier than A Link to the Past, the dungeons in that game are some of the most complex and elaborate the series. I'd also mention the triforce chart thing in Wind Waker which is harder than anything in ALTTP but that's more annoying than it is hard.

If any game in the series is better than Ocarina, or ALTTP even, it ain't Twilight Princess. It's still good but, aside from the art direction and Midna, I can't think of any area where it compares favourably.

That's pretty important in a Zelda game though, it's one of the reasons why Hyrule is well-remembered as one of the most classic video game settings.
I feel like too many people disregard the importance of presentation in video games.
12:59 PM on 12/14/12 
User Info.
plyb
true progress
Male - 25 Years Old
Obviously you're entitled to your opinion and all, but honestly I think there are few games that reward exploration as much as Wind Waker does. I barely ever complete games 100% but the console Zelda games post-ALTTP are one of the few exceptions to the rule.

In terms of difficulty there's no way Twilight Princess is easier than A Link to the Past, the dungeons in that game are some of the most complex and elaborate the series. I'd also mention the triforce chart thing in Wind Waker which is harder than anything in ALTTP but that's more annoying than it is hard.
I found Twilight Princess very easy. To each to his own.

Wind Waker is great for exploration, but sailing hurt it a bit. The triforce chart might be my least favorite part of any Zelda game, so yeah, crux of my issue with Wind Waker which I otherwise loved. As you said, it's more annoying than difficult
01:11 PM on 12/14/12 
User Info.
StepsInADance
taeyeonlogic.tumblr.com
Miami Fl
Male - 21 Years Old
I found Twilight Princess very easy. To each to his own.

Wind Waker is great for exploration, but sailing hurt it a bit. The triforce chart might be my least favorite part of any Zelda game, so yeah, crux of my issue with Wind Waker which I otherwise loved. As you said, it's more annoying than difficult

I feel like the sailing could have hurt it but it was handled pretty well, what with all the big octos, islands, enemy bases, etc...
01:20 PM on 12/14/12 
User Info.
plyb
true progress
Male - 25 Years Old
I feel like the sailing could have hurt it but it was handled pretty well, what with all the big octos, islands, enemy bases, etc...
I just think the spacing of the world was an issue, as were the potency of the enemy. I could set myself in the right direction, take a bathroom break and finally be getting to your destination. Too much open space, and not enough to preoccupy you on the journey.
11:35 PM on 12/23/12 
User Info.
RyanGarner
Registered Member
Nashua, New...
Male - 21 Years Old
1. Ocarina of Time
2. Wind Waker
3. Twilight Princess
4. Majora's Mask
5. Skyward Sword
11:47 PM on 12/23/12 
User Info.
SlappedActor
Tread lightly.
Ocarina
Majora
Wind
Skyward
Twilight
01:28 PM on 01/28/13 
User Info.
EvilZeppelin
FUZZZZZZ
Jamestown, NY
Male - 27 Years Old
02:53 AM on 03/14/13 
User Info.
FallenEmpyr
Anchorage
Male - 24 Years Old
Hahaha that's awesome. But on topic, Ocarina of Time>Pretty much any other game ever made.
03:43 AM on 03/14/13 
User Info.
Too Slow
Santa Rosa, CA
Male - 23 Years Old
1.Ocarina of Time
2.Skyward Sword
3. Wind Waker
4. Twilight Princess
5. Majora's Mask
03:59 AM on 03/14/13 
User Info.
Too Slow
Santa Rosa, CA
Male - 23 Years Old
THis thread just made me bust out an emulator...
04:20 AM on 03/14/13 
User Info.
J.C.
adorkable
New Haven, CT
ya boy - 28 Years Old
Anybody saying it ALTTP is the best needs to take those nostalgia goggle off, it's a good game, but it doesn't even begin to compare with the later console games.

Stupid post. ALttP is not a "good game", it is an absolutely brilliant game and one that needs no further qualifying. It was not brilliant for the time, it was not brilliant for SNES, it was and still is brilliant, period. As easily as you could chalk up its praise to nostalgia, I could chalk up dismissal of it to the skewed perspective one would have after growing up amid the age of the 3D consoles, where something like ALttP looks like a relic at first blush.
04:38 AM on 03/14/13 
User Info.
Too Slow
Santa Rosa, CA
Male - 23 Years Old
Stupid post. ALttP is not a "good game", it is an absolutely brilliant game and one that needs no further qualifying. It was not brilliant for the time, it was not brilliant for SNES, it was and still is brilliant, period. As easily as you could chalk up its praise to nostalgia, I could chalk up dismissal of it to the skewed perspective one would have after growing up amid the age of the 3D consoles, where something like ALttP looks like a relic at first blush.
Agreed. Ocarina of Time was the first Zelda game I ever played, and I've played every 3D console game that came after it. I've also gone back and beaten Zelda I, II, as well as A Link To The Past. The evolution from Adventure of Link to ALTTP is phenomenal. Like the SNES allowed them to finally produce the Zelda game they wanted to produce. It's honestly as brilliant as the best of the 3D titles, and it still stands the test of time.
04:32 AM on 03/15/13 
User Info.
FallenEmpyr
Anchorage
Male - 24 Years Old
Dude ALTTP is awesome! I wanna play that one again so bad.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos