Password
Death News - Page 11
Displaying posts 150 - 165 of 305.
02:23 PM on 12/14/12
deezee
geekrevolt.com
User Info.
What would anyone want a gun for?

And if they want it to shoot targets, or animals (which is just cruel and sadistic) then it needs to be disassembled in parts a separate locations (shooting clubhouses) like in other places have laws
For protection? Like if someone breaks into your house…
02:23 PM on 12/14/12
AussieBoy
User Info.
Still. The dust hasn't even settled yet. Do we really need to make this about politics while families are devastated?

If not now, when?

Shit, George bush was talking about war literally before dust had settled in 911. It's it was good enough for them then

Do it now while its fresh. They keep saying later and it never happens.
And then this happens. Over and over
02:25 PM on 12/14/12
AussieBoy
User Info.

I don't have any stats to back this up. But I would think more people get hurt pulling out a gun "protecting themselves" in their own home

Edit: thank your Mr Tate a few posts below this. For writing what I was trying to say.
02:25 PM on 12/14/12
deezee
geekrevolt.com
User Info.
Still. The dust hasn't even settled yet. Do we really need to make this about politics while families are devastated?
People bring the topic up because they don't want to ever see this happen again, but it keeps happening, again, again -- and again.
02:26 PM on 12/14/12
renedex
User Info.
Not even 12 hours later and we're making this about Gun Control? Seriously people...

A tragedy, I can't imagine how it feels to be a part of this. I can't imagine being one of the responding officers and walking into one of those classrooms...my God...

This surprises you? Whenever a mass shooting like this happens it always turns to gun control. It's because people are upset and they feel like guns should be harder to get.

... Just out of curiosity when is a good time to have this debate? When everything's fine and the violent consequences of improper gun control legislation are not glaring everyone in the face? That's been so effective at not allowing literally the same mistakes to occur over and over again.

Please go and read the first two paragraphs of this before you speak of politicisation: http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/...united-states/

For a nation whose frequency of shooting sprees just keeps rising and rising, America evidently has too short a memory to respond to this in any other manner than a reactionary one.

People bring the topic up because they don't want to ever see this happen again, but it keeps happening, again, again -- and again.

Exactly.
Jason Tate
User Info.
The proposition that widespread gun ownership serves as a deterrent to residential burglary is widely touted by advocates, but the evidence is weak, consisting of anecdotes, interviews with burglars, casual comparisons with other countries, and the like. A more systematic exploration requires data on local rates of gun ownership and of residential burglary, and such data have only recently become available. In this paper we exploit a new well-validated proxy for local gun-ownership prevalence -- the proportion of suicides that involve firearms -- together with newly available geo-coded data from the National Crime Victimization Survey, to produce the first systematic estimates of the net effects of gun prevalence on residential burglary patterns. The importance of such empirical work stems in part from the fact that theoretical considerations do not provide much guidance in predicting the net effects of widespread gun ownership. Guns in the home may pose a threat to burglars, but also serve as an inducement, since guns are particularly valuable loot. Other things equal, a gun-rich community provides more lucrative burglary opportunities than one where guns are more sparse. The new empirical results reported here provide no support for a net deterrent effect from widespread gun ownership. Rather, our analysis concludes that residential burglary rates tend to increase with community gun prevalence.

http://www.nber.org/papers/w8926
ZachMadeMeOdd
<("<) ^( " )^ (>")>
User Info.
I mean the fact that the US is a first-world country is kind of a super important factor in this debate.

You're right, gun control laws are of a pretty low standard in Africa.

I guess I just slightly missed the part where low standards in social policy development and the safeguarding of citizens in third world nations made the same low standards justifiable in one of the, allegedly, most civilised democracies and the biggest economy in the world.

Nah you're right, America should be held to the same standards as Africa.

You're putting words in my mouth and have selective reading. Not gonna debate this any longer, fuck guns and the wrong hands they wind up in.
02:30 PM on 12/14/12
renedex
User Info.
You're putting words in my mouth and have selective reading. Not gonna debate this any longer, fuck guns and the wrong hands they wind up in.
I'm not putting words in your mouth; I made a good, relevant example as to why guns should be banned by referencing the UK, you discarded my good relevant example and made a poor, irrelvant counter-example as to why gun control isn't the issue by referencing Africa.

I was just pointing that out.

Fuck guns.
YOUAREtehSCENE
User Info.
Nothing wrong with the right to bare arms.
deezee
geekrevolt.com
User Info.
I don't have any stats to back this up. But I would think more people get hurt pulling out a gun "protecting themselves" in their own home

Edit: thank your Mr Tate a few posts below this. For writing what I was trying to say.
Maybe, I don't own a gun, but I understand why normal people may want one. I just think they should be harder to get, like so hard only people who really need them will even bother. Mental history tests, family interviews, a six month process, etc. And if you get a gun ammo should be rationed out in small amounts.

Anyway, this story breaks my heart. I'll never understand people who hate their lives so much they go out and kill innocent people.
02:31 PM on 12/14/12
Chalie22
User Info.
A bunch of innocent little kids just got murdered but lets talk about anti-gun laws now. If you're able to process this already and have a solution I feel bad for your soul. It blows my mind that we are so wrapped up in debating this when we should be grieving as a country.
02:32 PM on 12/14/12
ZachMadeMeOdd
<("<) ^( " )^ (>")>
User Info.
I'm not putting words in your mouth; I made a good, relevant example as to why guns should be banned by referencing the UK, you discarded my good relevant example and made a poor, irrelvant counter-example as to why gun control isn't the issue by referencing Africa.

I was just pointing that out.

Fuck guns.

I recall stating a lot more than just a reference to Africa, but your selective reading as I pointed out prevented you from seeing that. Good day to you and wherever you live.
02:35 PM on 12/14/12
Chalie22
User Info.
CNN is reporting now that the mother was not a teacher at the school and was found dead at the gunman's home. This is seriously crazy stuff right here.
02:35 PM on 12/14/12
a speedo model
an enthusiast
User Info.
I see no reason why we should wait to discuss real action that may prevent another family from being devastated. The dust has barely settled from the last shooting a few miles from Oregon ... should we just keep waiting as more people keep dying?

This.
You're right, makes sense. It just...frustrates me to be hearing about this all day and come on to AP and just see the bickering about Gun Control. But I understand what you mean, this does need to be addressed. As someone who leans more conservative I see no reason for citizens to ever fucking own an assault rifle...

Also, how the hell do you Multi-Quote? I have them all selected and it won't show any when I Go Advanced...never had that problem before.
02:36 PM on 12/14/12
renedex
User Info.
I recall stating a lot more than just a reference to Africa, but your selective reading as I pointed out prevented you from seeing that. Good day to you and wherever you live.

Just to help jog your memory:

Uh, I don't believe it makes me arrogant for assuming from your argument that you lived in the UK.

And mass shootings just aren't publicized as well elsewhere as they are here. And those countries that have control over guns as the UK are far and few between. Whole towns in Africa and so many middle eastern towns get wiped out. We don't see it or hear about it, so we don't care.

The only specific reference you made was to situations in Africa.

Good day to you in America. And good luck.

A bunch of innocent little kids just got murdered but lets talk about anti-gun laws now. If you're able to process this already and have a solution I feel bad for your soul. It blows my mind that we are so wrapped up in debating this when we should be grieving as a country.
Because grieving is higher priority than prevention of future grief?

I'm afraid I don't follow.

And it's not hard to process; the solution is simple. I feel bad for the soul of anyone who doesn't see quite how simple it is.
Options
Related News Stories

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests