AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Our Brother Atlas - Winter EP Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 6.5
Musicianship 6.5
Lyrics 6.5
Production 6.5
Creativity 6.5
Lasting Value 6.5
Reviewer Tilt 6.5
Final Verdict: 65%
Member Ratings
No one has rated this album. You can be the first.

Our Brother Atlas - Winter EP

Reviewed by: Zac Djamoos (12/17/12)
Our Brother Atlas - Winter EP
Release Date: April 8, 2012
Record Label: Self-released

Hardcore music. Once, it as basement shows and straight-edge and Victory. Now it is moshpits, breakdowns, and eyeliner.

What does this have to do with Our Brother Atlas? No clue. But they are a hardcore band. They are from Virginia and consist of vocalist Rob McWilliams, guitarist Phil Cangelosi, drummer Mark Martin, bassist Andrew Cangelosi, and guitarist Jake Kelsey. Winter is their second release, after another extended play, entitled Our Brother Atlas.

I'm just going to say it right now: McWilliams' screams are not very good. In fact, they just sound like generic screams. The clean vocals are less than mediocre also. They sound extremely strained.

The actual musicianship of the album is not bad though. It is pretty decent actually, especially on the closing track, "Sightseer." The post-chorus interludes sound very good. They don't really fit the vocals though, as McWilliams is screaming over the quietest parts of the entire album. The music is not that good all the way through though, as opener "The Builder" begins with a breakdown straight from the start (I actually laughed aloud at the few seconds when the vocals came in). "Like Vultures" also features nice instrumentation during its choruses.

The production on the album is pretty fantastic. You can hear every instrument perfectly fine and nothing gets drowned out in the mix.

The album's lyrics mostly dwell on the topic of self-reflection. On the Touche Amore-sounding "Birthstone," McWilliams shouts, "I know we've all felt it/ rich or poor young or old/ to want control of yourself for once." As he sings in "Like Vultures,"I am not afraid/ like a loaded gun with an empty conscience."

Recommended If You Likea less awesome Comeback Kid, the really heavy parts of UnderOATH's Define the Great Line, hardcore, the screamier Alexsonfire songs

No one has commented on this album review.
You can be the first.
Options
More From This Author

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Submit News
CONNECT
Forums
Contests