AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Columbia Records News
Have a news tip? Submit news.

Columbia Records Looking for Intern

Posted by - 09:31 PM on 12/17/12
Columbia Records' A&R department is looking for an intern (in Beverly Hills) for the upcoming Spring semester. The internship will be focused on music research, and requires a working knowledge of the current music climate as well as online research skills. This will be a hands on internship working with and assisting the A&R staff. Interns must be able to work at least one, preferably two days a week from 10-6. This internship is not salaried and you must be able to receive credit. If interested, please email your resume here.

Displaying posts 1 - 11 of 11
09:40 PM on 12/17/12
bobsheiskawy
www.facebook.com/misewell
User Info.
is there a location requirement?
09:40 PM on 12/17/12
all time (joe)
you are what you do
User Info.
where is this internship located? west or east coast?
09:47 PM on 12/17/12
WhaleSnake
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
what kind of resume are they looking for?
09:55 PM on 12/17/12
AndyVizzle
@WeBringTheHits
User Info.
where is this internship located? west or east coast?

Hey everyone thanks for all the interest. You guys are taking over my inbox haha. I forgot to mention the internship is for our BEVERLY HILLS office. Sorry about any confusion.
10:13 PM on 12/17/12
Jason Tate
User Info.
Hey everyone thanks for all the interest. You guys are taking over my inbox haha. I forgot to mention the internship is for our BEVERLY HILLS office. Sorry about any confusion.
Will update with location.
10:52 PM on 12/17/12
AndyVizzle
@WeBringTheHits
User Info.
Will update with location.
Thank you!
07:36 AM on 12/18/12
Acad08
@explorerbri
User Info.
Not salaried? Very rarely is a music internship ever PAID!
10:32 AM on 12/18/12
Phil507
Cynical and sarcastic dick
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
To any college students looking to do this, don't. Interning at a major label is just....a terrible idea. Take it from someone who did it back in 2005 (when the industry wasn't AS BAD as it is now). In, 2005, we were still sending ENVELOPES with CD's to radio stations (yes folks, envelopes of CD's, in a time when everyone was starting to be "green"). Additionally, most record labels are still top-heavy while cutting out the middle folks so it's the execs, and then everyone else making $20-40k/year.
12:27 PM on 12/18/12
youareallfreaks
thoust dare quoth i?
User Info.
To any college students looking to do this, don't. Interning at a major label is just....a terrible idea. Take it from someone who did it back in 2005 (when the industry wasn't AS BAD as it is now). In, 2005, we were still sending ENVELOPES with CD's to radio stations (yes folks, envelopes of CD's, in a time when everyone was starting to be "green"). Additionally, most record labels are still top-heavy while cutting out the middle folks so it's the execs, and then everyone else making $20-40k/year.
but, you know, one direction.
12:23 AM on 12/19/12
makeoutmags
every moment bleeds into one
User Info.
I'll play devil's advocate: go for it. I didn't find my time spent interning at a major to be irrelevant, I found it gave me a perspective on what works and what doesn't work about major labels and why. It tested where my loyalties lay and I found out very quickly that it was with the artists and helping them grow, not with the execs and the money. It isn't for everyone - after meeting people on both sides of the industry, I learned very quickly that I had more of the "crew" mentality it takes to be on tour or a stage/set than the "office" mentality - and sometimes I found myself wishing that I had chosen something more in that vein... but I found ways to fulfill it: I asked to work at CMJ, I took stills on the sets of our artists' music videos, etc. All in all, it was generally a positive experience. I fetched a lot of coffee, but I also met a lot of people in music and at organizations like Keep a Breast and those are relationships I will maintain forever.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos