AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Soho Dolls - Ribbed Music for the Numb Generation Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 8.75
Musicianship 9
Lyrics 8.25
Production 9
Creativity 8.25
Lasting Value 8.5
Reviewer Tilt 9
Final Verdict: 87%
Member Ratings
Vocals 9.5
Musicianship 9.38
Lyrics 9.13
Production 9.5
Creativity 9.13
Lasting Value 9.5
Reviewer Tilt 9.88
Average: 94%

Soho Dolls - Ribbed Music for the Numb Generation

Reviewed by: Susan Frances (02/22/08)
Soho Dolls - Ribbed Music for the Numb Generation
Record Label: Filthy Pretty Records
Release Date: September 24, 2007

Great Britain has a new electrifying synth-pop band that has hit North America’s shore lines with all the acid glam-pop regalia of Shiny Toy Guns and the punk rock moxie of The Soviettes. Their name is Soho Dolls and they have released their debut album Ribbed Music for the Numb Generation on Filthy Pretty Records. Produced by Robert Harder (Polar Bear, Babyshambles, Underground) and Steve Lyon (Depeche Mode, The Cure), the album wraps you in fishnets of cabaret-styled vocals from lead singer Maya Von Doll and techno-dripping rhythms orchestrated by drummer Paul Stone and bassist Matt Lord. The barbed guitar riffs of Toni Sailor are perched in thickets of bristling keyboards from Weston Doll creating movements that expand and separate with a will of their own, alternating lean segments with thick froths while covered in Maya’s femininely sweet vocal reams. The synth-pop intonations recall of Madonna circa her Blond Ambition Tour but with modern trusses. The music is both street savvy and club chic, keeping away from falling into a mundane routine that often plagues synth-pop albums.

Soho Dolls champion electro-pop stratums with punk rock gaskets on tracks like “Right and Right Again” and “Stripper” using resounding boombox beats that sink into the synth channels. The lyrics show street smarts like in the song “Stripper” when Maya speaks from a male perspective, “Hey Stripper / Don’t know what you do, but do it to me / Don’t know what you do, it’s getting to me / I wanna be your mister… The way you move, I’m in the mood… You lead me on when you know its wrong / What money I had, is in your thong / You will be mine at closing time / You’re saving the best for me tonight… I am a voyeur.” The lyrics describe every man’s fantasy and Maya shines light on how the libido takes over human thoughts and actions, and how lust rules human emotions. The lyrics are very racy, talking about primal urges that people let take over them.

The mangle of glam-pop punk and acid-techno intonations on tracks like “The Rest for the Wicked” and “My Vampire” are ripe for clubs with arousing slants in the melodic patterns and sassy spats in the winding vocal curls. The house dance beats of “Prince Harry” and “Bang Bang Bang Bang” are showy with bursting synths that climax and recede taking turns alternately. The slinky jazz shadings of “I’m Not Cool” are fitted with cabaret-twined vamps, which give the melody a chic character, and the melodic-pop synth textures of “Pleasures of Soho” and “1724” are haunted by softly rotating beats and eerie sonic specters. The songs make good use of techno-enhanced dance beats with punk rock slashes. Maya’s softly pitched vocals give the songs a creamy feel, smothering the craggy movements with a smooth finish.

Recorded in a studio in the rural setting of Cornwall, England, the album is stocked with urban stylized synth-pop creations and modern glam-punk interfacing. Maya tells in a press release, ”We feel our generation has been cheated. Modern life has conspired to make us dumb, numb, and un-questioning. We want people to tap into their primal senses again: lust, anger. love, fear, compassion, happiness, and humor. Lyrically and musically, the songs on this album express all of these feelings and instincts.” Soho Dolls have achieved what they set out to do with their debut effort Ribbed Music for the Numb Generation.

LinksWebsite | MySpace | Buy

Displaying posts 1 - 4 of 4
06:17 PM on 02/26/08
Adrian Villagomez
The Sword the Anvil the Stone
User Info.
I haven't heard the music, but judging by the pictures on their myspace page, they put on a wild live show.
05:33 PM on 02/27/08
rammie
User Info.
dude! Finally! I've been listening to them for about 2 years now and I absolutely love them. I love "Stripper" it's such a catchy song, along with "Prince Harry" and "Pleasures of Soho" I've been trying to get people into them for the longest time but no one even bothered.
07:52 AM on 10/08/09
Chloe06
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
I like so much their songs. Looking forward to their new album
Options
More From This Author

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music