Username
Password

07:39 PM on 12/20/12 
User Info.
fallfromgrace85
CephaLOVEpod
Nashville, TN
Female - 25 Years Old
My boyfriend lives in a gated condo/apartment complex. Parking spaces are assigned to tenants, and visitors are required to obtain a parking pass every night which they stay, from the front office. A local towing company checks for the passes and towes any vehicles without.

He has lived here now for 3 months, and I stay, on average, 2-3 nights out of the week. I'm religious about getting the parking passes, as I'm super paranoid that I'll get towed. When I go into the office, the complex's concierge has even learned my car by heart, as well as my tag number for the most part.

Last night, around 7, I arrived to find a sign on the window of the office, stating the concierge was out and would return at 8:30. When I got buzzed upstairs, I told my boyfriend about it, and mentioned that I needed to remember to get it taken care of. Not even an hour later, but before 8:30, I was out for the count. I have been working long days, and the lack of sleep caught up to me. Fast forward to 2AM, when my man's roommate is frantically waking me up to inform me that my car had been towed. I had him drive me to the impound lot, and $150 and 45 minutes later, I had my car back.

In all seriousness, I'm devastated. The fee has diminished my savings, and while not impossible, since my student loans have kicked in, I've found that the funds are necessary to me. Is there any possible way to get any, if not all of my money back? I'm furious that I made such an expensive mistake, but I feel equally that I cannot be held responsible when the person who is supposed to give me the parking pass is not on duty. Any advice would be appreciated.
07:18 AM on 12/21/12 
User Info.
fallfromgrace85
CephaLOVEpod
Nashville, TN
Female - 25 Years Old
a 24 year old with $150 in savings and the hope of getting her money back from a towing company because she fell asleep....

welcome to the world. it's time to grow up.

I have more than $150 in savings, thank you. I realize I am not an exception to the rule, but I now have $500 in student loans a month.

Money is back in my account this morning, anywho.
10:52 AM on 12/21/12 
User Info.
fallfromgrace85
CephaLOVEpod
Nashville, TN
Female - 25 Years Old
You should've parked somewhere else free of any risk of being towed until 8:30 and then continued your normal procedure once the concierge returned. It's not rocket science, don't park where you're not supposed to park whether it's because 'the parking pass person wasn't around' or even if it's 'just for a minute.' This issue really bugs me, so I'm not exactly sympathetic.

Parking is consequence free until after midnight.

To everyone else, I'm not playing "damsel in distress" nor am I an idiot, and I am certainly not looking for sympathy - I'm not some whiny bitch, just genuinely curious as to whether it may be even remotely possible to get my money back. I've never been towed before and it just seemed like "it could never happen to me".

Thank you to everyone who has answered so far. I'm not counting my chickens yet, but the money somehow got recredited into my account after the fact ..... Soooooo maybe it's a Christmas miracle lol.
01:04 PM on 12/21/12 
User Info.
fallfromgrace85
CephaLOVEpod
Nashville, TN
Female - 25 Years Old
No way! Girls are WAY too fragile for you to point out their mistakes, you're supposed to walk on egg shells around them at all times... right?

Bahahaha Nice.

I should never expect a thread full of 100% serious/helpful answers on AP.net. Its a rule. But no, good sir, point away at those mistakes. It was damn well an expensive one!
05:11 PM on 12/21/12 
User Info.
fallfromgrace85
CephaLOVEpod
Nashville, TN
Female - 25 Years Old
So you came here to just bitch about it? What exactly are you expecting us to help you with? You fucked up, end of story. Ask that boyfriend of yours if he can lend you some money.

I clearly asked for advice, you don't have to be such a prick.
05:44 PM on 12/21/12 
User Info.
fallfromgrace85
CephaLOVEpod
Nashville, TN
Female - 25 Years Old
Haha, I was commenting more making fun of the guy that said he's surprised people aren't going easy on you. It sucks to get towed.

I've heard that in New York, some towing companies will quite literally tow vehicles to an illegal spot - then bring a huge flatbed in and get a bunch at once. Truth?
06:24 AM on 12/24/12 
User Info.
fallfromgrace85
CephaLOVEpod
Nashville, TN
Female - 25 Years Old
I just type a long winded response about how I thought you could get your money back by talking to the complex manager (because I did it before and got my money back)

BUT

then I realized that you said parking is consequence free until after midnight, then you need a pass - Which means that the 8:30 thing means nothing... you should have gotten a pass after 8:30, you didn't, so you were parked illegally from midnight until they rightfully towed your car.

Getting your car towed is a kick in the nuts, but if you follow the rules, it's unlikely that your care will be towed

Its a shame that I fell asleep before the concierge came back. I'm still going to talk to the complex manager to try and get a parking pass that's valid for a month or so (hell it doesn't hurt to try), but I did learn an expensive lesson. It just bummed me out because I'm always so on top of it. thankfully I have the ability to make the money back at the restaurant I work at, so I'm not completely SOL.
06:39 AM on 12/24/12 
User Info.
fallfromgrace85
CephaLOVEpod
Nashville, TN
Female - 25 Years Old
Yes, I'm totally sure the towing company, which the profession is one of the most uncaring of all professions, is going to feel bad for you because they towed your car and will reimburse you. Sarcam aside, that money is never coming back. It sucks your car got towed and you had pay that money to get it back but you really have to be naive to think you're going to be reimbursed that money.
EDIT: Didn't see you got the money back, so now I'm curious as to how that happened.

Sadly, it was an instance where the money went out of my account, came back in, then they waited another 48 hours to take it out permanently. An expensive mistake, but still a bummer nonetheless.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos