AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

12:20 PM on 12/24/12 
User Info.
dejadegaussed
Philadelphia
Male
now what am I supposed to do with the rest of my life...

Something meaningful that'll help you forget all your student loans and won't make you feel like you are wasting your time at a desk job just because "that's what you're supposed to do". Go join the Peace corp, city year, go teach english to little kids in south korea or something. go see the world
07:55 PM on 12/24/12 
User Info.
Ferrari333SP
St. Paul, Minnesota
Male - 28 Years Old
English. haha but I got a minor in Communications and Education...

Ideally I think the plan right now is either wait to see if I got into the Jet Program or start Grad school for ESL education in the summer.

Just checked out your profile; you had a show on KUST Radio? So did I! University of St. Thomasssss; 2010 graduate. I had a show there back in Spring and Fall semesters of 2007, first semester focusing on electronic music, and the fall semester focusing on metal.

Back to thread topic, I would recommend using the St. Thomas job board and just applying at wherever sounds remotely interesting/capable of doing. Hiring right now in Minneapolis is pretty healthy, and the job board on UST's site usually has a ton of openings, so totally check out that board if you can. I'm working full time right now in downtown Minneapolis, doing IT work for a supply chain services company. Company is awesome and the pay is decent, but it has no relation on what I eventually want to do. Basically I'm using this job right now to work on/think about what I eventually want to do. I actually applied to the JET Program myself, and I thought I had a pretty good application, but didn't even get past the first round of selection, haha. It sounds like an awesome program to be a part of though, especially as it pays pretty decently; hopefully you get it! I worked with ESL students my senior year at St. Thomas, mainly because I was an International Student Ambassador(or something), and went on different field trips with the ESL students across the street, in that building next to McNeely.
10:19 PM on 12/25/12 
User Info.
allthewaysaid
Have a feeling I'll die in my20s...
Texas
Male - 22 Years Old
Get a minimum wage job like the rest of the college graduates and live your life.
05:32 PM on 12/31/12 
User Info.
Maiaophilia
my heart beats pacific -
JAPAAAAAN.
Female - 23 Years Old
Just checked out your profile; you had a show on KUST Radio? So did I! University of St. Thomasssss; 2010 graduate. I had a show there back in Spring and Fall semesters of 2007, first semester focusing on electronic music, and the fall semester focusing on metal.

Back to thread topic, I would recommend using the St. Thomas job board and just applying at wherever sounds remotely interesting/capable of doing. Hiring right now in Minneapolis is pretty healthy, and the job board on UST's site usually has a ton of openings, so totally check out that board if you can. I'm working full time right now in downtown Minneapolis, doing IT work for a supply chain services company. Company is awesome and the pay is decent, but it has no relation on what I eventually want to do. Basically I'm using this job right now to work on/think about what I eventually want to do. I actually applied to the JET Program myself, and I thought I had a pretty good application, but didn't even get past the first round of selection, haha. It sounds like an awesome program to be a part of though, especially as it pays pretty decently; hopefully you get it! I worked with ESL students my senior year at St. Thomas, mainly because I was an International Student Ambassador(or something), and went on different field trips with the ESL students across the street, in that building next to McNeely.

Yeah; I had a show from 2008-2010 actually; and then school just got too busy for me to be up from Midnight -2am. I absolutely loved it though. The people were my favorite....

I never thought to look at the Job boards... I'll go dig around and try and find that. That actually seems like a really good start.

I have to wait one more month to see if I get past the first round; I plan on reapplying if I don't get it. I've heard of people who have applied three times before they actually got a position. So hopefully something pans out.

Thanks for the advice! It actually was really helpful.
09:33 AM on 01/01/13 
User Info.
Ferrari333SP
St. Paul, Minnesota
Male - 28 Years Old
Yeah; I had a show from 2008-2010 actually; and then school just got too busy for me to be up from Midnight -2am. I absolutely loved it though. The people were my favorite....

I never thought to look at the Job boards... I'll go dig around and try and find that. That actually seems like a really good start.

I have to wait one more month to see if I get past the first round; I plan on reapplying if I don't get it. I've heard of people who have applied three times before they actually got a position. So hopefully something pans out.

Thanks for the advice! It actually was really helpful.

No problem! Searching for jobs can be disheartening at times, but the longer you stick with it the better your chances at finding something. With JET, since it's a once a year thing, waiting another year was just too long for me, haha. But yeah if it takes a few times to get accepted and you still really want to do it, then for sure apply again.

Here's the St. Thomas public job board: http://webapp.stthomas.edu/careerdev...t/joblistings/

Also, there's something called Tommie Careers that's only available to current students and alumni, so it's the job positions as the link above, but there's more info in the job descriptions and actual HR contacts at each company to contact. I'd definitely recommend registering on here if you can as well: https://stthomas-csm.symplicity.com/

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos