Password

Album Review

Bullet for My Valentine - Scream Aim Fire Album Cover

Bullet for My Valentine - Scream Aim Fire

Reviewed by
Bullet for My Valentine - Scream Aim Fire
Record Label: Jive Records
Release Date: January 28, 2008
Forgive me if this review seems somewhat bemused; either I was distracted by the Lost message boards while scribbling my notes or Bullet for My Valentine’s newest record, Scream Aim Fire, just couldn’t keep my attention. We’ll just say it’s a combination of both.

I’m one of those people who judge bands by their names. If the name is dull, chances are I won’t check the band out, which is probably why I spent the last couple years ignoring the Welsh metal outfit, Bullet for My Valentine, due to the daft nature of their name. However, I have to admit that I was pleasantly surprised when I heard some tracks from their debut album The Poison, released early in 2006. Being a sucker for a good riff, I found The Poison to be entertaining, but not the next Ride the Lightning.

Scream Aim Fire kicks off with the title track, immediately setting the tone of the album with ripping guitar lines and accelerated drum beats. Surprisingly, Matt Tuck doesn’t distort his voice with gruff screaming until the breakdown, instead showcasing his strong vocal talent which is often compared to Metallica’s James Hetfield. “Eye of the Storm” follows along the same lines, with the typical syncopated drum/guitar opening. The guitar work is impressive, offering classic metal influence on the solos and expeditious riffs on almost every other part of the song. However, flashy guitar work is a staple of metal and isn’t anything new. If you want to make it big, you have to offer something new and exciting. “Waking the Dead,” however, offers the much needed attitude to revert my attention away from the computer screen and back to the notebook with powerful guitar riffs and authoritative drums. The band’s arena rock influences are certainly evident on “Hearts Burst Into Fire” and “Deliver Us from Evil.” Both songs (which slightly remind me of Finch, around the What It is to Burn-era) have a largely epic feel and seem to be tailored specifically for the large arenas the band will be playing on this year’s A Taste of Chaos Tour. “Take It Out of Me,” however, wins the award for the best song on the album. Opening with a hint of southern flavor, the song bears a fashionable guitar hook and skillfully transitions into a soft bridge before the intensity builds back up before the song’s denouement. The album closes with the disappointing “Forever and Always,” a song that sounds almost as cheesy as the title.

Bullet for My Valentine aren't bad any standards. Scream Aim Fire is an album that showcases the band’s meshing of older arena rock influences and modern metal. However, the album lacks attitude. Rhythmically, the band doesn’t offer anything new and exciting; instead they seem to fall back on the same ideas and rhythms that have defined the strong genre lines that few bands are afraid to cross. If I were to give the band some advice, I would advise adding a “presence” to their music. Use some more pinch harmonics. Write drums parts that show some agility. And for Pete’s sake, show some double-kick skills.

All in all, Scream Aim Fire is a rifftacular journey into the world of arena metal. If power ballads are your thing, then you’ll love this album. As for me, however, I’m going to close my notebook and re-watch last night’s episode of Lost.
This review is a user submitted review from topher465. You can see all of topher465's submitted reviews here.

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 20
09:06 PM on 03/02/08
scole
...the whitetrash hero.
User Info.
I enjoyed the album, but I think you hit on a good point. All throughout the album, BFMV seemed to be trying to become the new Metallica (see the cover of Creeping Death). I really liked the Hand of Blood EP, and I also liked The Poison, but I really haven't been able to get into this album.
Good review!
08:54 AM on 03/03/08
Gumbyjag
Everything Evil
User Info.
Not the best rock band out there but I wouldn't mind seeing them get bigger. They got some catchy tunes.
09:58 AM on 03/05/08
Shatter590
Shinigami Is Watching You
User Info.
all i thought of while listening to this album was "This sounds like Kill Em All", over and over and over again. It's not a step forward for the band at all, but definitely not a step back.
04:27 PM on 03/06/08
thecrimson
fuck it.
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Is it just me, or does every song on this album sound like a Metallica song?
There is a point where it becomes a little annoying
03:11 PM on 03/13/08
RetardedInLove
He Will Learn To Love Again
User Info.
Seriously this album is such a guilty pleasure for me. I think as long as you don't take it too seriously (unfortunately the band is dead serious) it is a very enjoyable album.
05:55 AM on 03/15/08
Chris Fallon
Boom.
User Info.
They seem to be trying a little too hard to be Megadeth and Metallica, but I guess it's a better alternative than most.
01:27 PM on 03/26/08
duhpunk
i get my energy from my inner G
User Info.
the album was decent overall, but i love "Hearts Burst Into Fire". probably the only track on the album that really did it for me.
01:29 PM on 03/26/08
duhpunk
i get my energy from my inner G
User Info.
i am perplexed by the member ratings. why is just about everything at least a 9 besides the musicianship? i would have thought it would be the other way around.
10:51 AM on 04/28/08
Of Machines
brings teh awesome.
User Info.
Well I used to like BFMV, I'm not gonna lie. I was a big fan of the poison, despite it's "metalcore-ness", it had some pretty good riffage. This album...no different. I really don't see any improvement in their style nor their musicianship. They're not BAD, they're just the same, and I feel as though we expect bands to improve over time (at least I do) and this band has not changed much. I give it a big "MEH".
03:15 AM on 05/25/08
Behemoth
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
i think bullet has some good songs on each album but they are not my favourite by far, i think if they can get some better rifts or try use better of their vocals and change their name!! they could actually become a really good band,
11:19 AM on 12/20/08
MattRTS
MattRTS
User Info.
This album's way better than The Poison, but the new B-side they released for it isn't so great. I thought Forever & Always was a great ending track.
05:10 PM on 06/01/09
chelseaxsmilexD
AP.net's official punching bag
User Info.
this album was dreck..it aucked... their old album was great... like 70%, this one is like 5%.
05:15 PM on 06/01/09
chelseaxsmilexD
User Info.
i am perplexed by the member ratings. why is just about everything at least a 9 besides the musicianship? i would have thought it would be the other way around.
exactly
05:18 PM on 06/01/09
chelseaxsmilexD
User Info.
Is it just me, or does every song on this album sound like a Metallica song?
There is a point where it becomes a little annoying
i think its like if dragonforce impregnated metallica and then had a baby that impregnated horrible vocals and then became this... bfmv used to be my fave band for like a few months... this album killed them. Bring me the horizon please!

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos