Username
Password

11:18 AM on 12/24/12 
User Info.
OurLadyCoolbean
False. Black bears.
Seattle, WA
Male - 21 Years Old
I had this crazy guy come into the store where I work and ask if we sell shoes (it's a bookstore). He said he had walked all the way from Alaska to Washington because nobody would give him a ride and that he messed up his feet doing that but he didn't have enough money for a doctor (or a pair of shoes from Payless). He then proceeded to tell me what a warrior for Christ he was and that his name apparently meant something ultra Christian and that made him better than other people. By this time I was barely listening and he ended up talking about how his brother got shot down in front of him in Spokane, and then he vaguely threatened me. I was this close to having my coworker call 911.
11:20 AM on 12/24/12 
User Info.
OurLadyCoolbean
False. Black bears.
Seattle, WA
Male - 21 Years Old
Okay, so let me tell you guys about this shit:

So we have this huge deadline of Dec 31st for this really important project at work. Since the beginning of November I've been working 10-12 hour days mon-fri and 6 hours on Saturdays. Out of mostly my own will, although they do make you feel guilty if you don't stay. So anyway, now the holidays are here and everyone in this fucking company gets Christmas Eve and New Years Eve off, making it a four day weekend.But, not us. Or so, we thought. Here's the thing, we need maybe one day left to finish it, everything after that is stuff that we have til the end of January to complete.

So, why the fuck do we need to be here on Christmas Eve and New Year's Eve for work that doesn't have to be done? Like, we can't have one fucking day off after all is this time? I can't even get two days off in a row.

BUT WAIT, THERE'S MORE!

They didn't tell us until FRIDAY that we had to come in. They made it sound, by wording and behavior that it was absolutely mandatory or we would get in trouble or something. I remember when one girl tried to get them to say it was "mandatory" they just hesitated and were like "well, you know, technically it is a work day, so yes and no but you have to come in" and just dicked around the whole thing.

Then my HR lady called my boss and I overheard her getting in trouble for basically giving us this short-notice impression that its MANDATORY we come in. It seemed to end with the fact that technically, she didn't say the word "mandatory", so I think that's why she didn't send out a type of correction and this is all just coming out now by all of us putting these pieces together. They just implied it.

And guess what, the fucking asshole supervisors and managers didn't even come in today. Why should they? They know its not mandatory, they couldn't even come in and face their employees for a few hours. Fuck them.

I'm so pissed, and beyond EXHAUSTED. I haven't had even two days in a row off, and I'm just pissed as shit they lied and that I'm fucking here when I just want to sleep and cry from tiredness. I need a break, and I'm so pissed that I'm here now. Fucking assholes, dude.

Wow that sucks. Don't go in on New Year's Eve if it's the same situation.
Also, can you just leave if there's no supervisors?
01:16 AM on 12/25/12 
User Info.
OurLadyCoolbean
False. Black bears.
Seattle, WA
Male - 21 Years Old
A couple weeks ago a customer accused me of strangling her. I was so mad. We swipe their membership cards during their transactions, and a lot of people wear them around their neck like a necklace or lanyard (they are often attached to a string of yarn with a metal clip, and they'll clip it around their neck). I ask a woman for her card, she unclips it from around her neck, and hands it to me. I take it, not knowing that the metal clip is caught in her jacket or hair or something. It tugs on her, and she freaks out saying, "You just strangled me!!" Note that it was no longer even around her neck, and she was the one handing it to me. It's not like I just grabbed it from around her neck randomly without her consent. Don't hand me your card if you're not ready for me to take it. Then her husband makes a rude comment calling me unprofessional, and I somehow am able to keep smiling to them throughout the ordeal. I was so angry.

We also one time were having a huge event. We had never done something so big in the entire history of our department's existence, so it was kind of like a trial thing. One customer in particular flips out over a certain policy because idek why. She gets into it with my manager, who tries to explain that it's out of his hands. She is still livid. She contacts my boss' boss, and they all have a little meeting together. She whines and complains, and my boss takes it for a while until she starts insulting him. Finally, he says, "next time we have a big event like this, I'm going to call you." She asks why, and he replies, "because you obviously know how to run this better than I do." in the most condescending tone ever. It was great. Her face was priceless.

If I'm thankful for one thing at my job, it is that my managers refuse to comp people for bs. We definitely have a mindset that we will not reward that behavior. If we were genuinely in the wrong we will, but we don't cater to people who are just out to get free stuff or save a couple bucks. I hate "the customer is always right" mentality that so many places have to go by. So many customers are entitled and spoiled and will do anything to get free stuff.

Yeah, if you work in retail for any decent amount of time and you still believe that quote to be true, there's something seriously wrong with you.
09:39 AM on 12/25/12 
User Info.
OurLadyCoolbean
False. Black bears.
Seattle, WA
Male - 21 Years Old
I could never do it. If they are taking out their frustrations on me because they don't understand something, or are obviously just trying to get free stuff, then no. I shut that down right away. I feel so bad for people who have to cater to them. It totally creates this notion that their behavior is acceptable, and it's not. I've had people try to get comps for everything. Like, one time we had an all day event, so we had a food cart inside so people could conveniently eat. We had sooo many customers upset that the food wasn't free. They were throwing huge tantrums about it, but why would it be free?! we provide free drinks and popcorn, but that's not enough. On our busiest day of the year we will put out some free snacks, and we actually have to make an announcement for customers to wait for the servers to put down the food, because in the past the customers have just charged at it and the servers were caught in the crossfire. Too many people are entitled and rude.

Haha it's pretty funny when you think about it, customers acting so primal when some food is laid out that they'll trample people to get to it. Sucks for whoever's working though.

I work about half an hour away from the Canadian border so we get a lot of them down here, especially on weekends. The better part of my bad experiences with customers have been with Canadians. You know, the kind that will come all the way to another country to get better deals and think they're entitled to everything? It gets pretty bad at times.
10:31 PM on 12/26/12 
User Info.
OurLadyCoolbean
False. Black bears.
Seattle, WA
Male - 21 Years Old
Left my job today. The job itself sucked, but it's always sad to leave awesome coworkers.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos