I'll give Roanoke my pick of the week. Was surprised to see they're from Rockford, but they definitely have that Midwestern vibe I'm use to hearing from Rockford bands.
my picks of the week:
- VOCALS = Underminded / Billy Duprey(TROW, The Year Fifteen) / half singing, half screaming / melodic screaming / INSTRUMENTS = unique progressive rhythm changes
2. Hospital Dancing
- VOCALS = think "Jesse Lacey's cousin mixed with Andy Hull at 17yo." / LYRICS = Vincent Accardi's lost high school notebook / INSTRUMENTS = Say Anything has ménage à trois with Nirvana and Creed. Production isn't great, but future studio recordings look promising.
3. Little Ghost
- VOCALS = half Morrissey, half The Killers / INSTRUMENTS = think "The Postal Service with even more electronic stuff" IS THAT EVEN POSSIBLE???
yes. yes it is.
- VOCALS = Jason Lancaster (Mayday Parade) / INSTRUMENTS = feels slightly too similar to acoustic Mayday Parade (almost borrowed), feeling goes away after first listen / LYRICS = Mayday Parade rapes Andrew McMahon, steals his lyric books, and changes some of the lyrics to better suit their style.
It's a good song if you're still into emo/acoustic indie-pop. I'm just surprised that Mayday Parade wasn't mentioned in the RIYL. They're an obvious influence, and I mean that in a good way.
The Dirty Looks
- VOCALS = Tom DeLonge drinks a large glass of Coheed & Cambria / LYRICS = Taking Back Sunday (pre-Louder Now) / INSTRUMENTS = Box Car Racer / Blink 182 (esp. Travis Barker)