AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Universal Music Group News
Have a news tip? Submit news.

YouTube Takes Away Billions of Video Views from Universal, Sony

Posted by - 04:22 PM on 12/28/12
YouTube stripped away two billion video views from the biggest record companies after the site cracked down on alleged fake viewers. The biggest losers were Universal and Sony.
From The ArticleThe dramatic cuts came as YouTube conducted a crackdown on fake views, but music industry sources have blamed it on housekeeping related to the migration of their videos across different channels. The unprecedented move left Universal with just five videos on the site - none of which were music - and Sony with just three.

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 50
04:24 PM on 12/28/12
ParkwayTom
Forgive me, Nashville
User Info.
Damn. Usually Youtube caters pretty hard to the industry too. It'll be interesting to see how the labels react.
04:28 PM on 12/28/12
ShotgunGold
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
I knew it!

Seeing the likes of Rihanna and that get 100 million + views when most popular rock bands were getting 1-5 million I just knew the figures where being inflated. Sure the pop stars may be bigger but not that much bigger.

Plus if you go onto the Statistics section of a YouTube video sometimes the graph starts on like 20 million or 30 million or something, from the date the video was uploaded.

Makes you wonder how many videos have actually had 100 million views. Probably none.

Edit: Apart from System of a Down Chop Suey!! :P
04:37 PM on 12/28/12
leftapart
User Info.
I was hoping they'd take a billion views away from that Gangnam Style video.
04:38 PM on 12/28/12
seymourbuttes
I'd do anything for a free t-shirt
User Info.
I was hoping they'd take a billion views away from that Gangnam Style video.
Hell yeah... That shit was entertaining the first time I saw it... And then CNN and shit had to make it so much bigger than it was.
04:39 PM on 12/28/12
Capulet
Registered Member
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
me too man ^
04:46 PM on 12/28/12
Gaugzilla
and one head can never die
User Info.
I knew it!

Seeing the likes of Rihanna and that get 100 million + views when most popular rock bands were getting 1-5 million I just knew the figures where being inflated. Sure the pop stars may be bigger but not that much bigger.

Plus if you go onto the Statistics section of a YouTube video sometimes the graph starts on like 20 million or 30 million or something, from the date the video was uploaded.

Makes you wonder how many videos have actually had 100 million views. Probably none.

Yeeeeepp. I read from a person that did that that they're basically hired to inflate the view count from day one. They set up different computers and programs to just constantly be clicking on the video and never stop watching it. It's a way for them to show the artist how relevant they are, etc. etc.

I didn't sense half of the time. I mean, I know Rihanna is famous. But every single video she released was up to 2 million views the first day. Same with Lil Wayne and Nicki Minaj. I knew something had to be up with that. Glad they cracked down.
04:47 PM on 12/28/12
tomtom94
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Surprised? In the past record companies used to pay people to stand around and look interested to generate interest in a new boy band. This is just the new way of doing it.
04:52 PM on 12/28/12
UnderMyDreams
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
I knew it!

They're record sales sure as hell prove that these pop artists are WAY bigger than a lot of the rock ones.
04:53 PM on 12/28/12
UnderMyDreams
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
People have been doing this for years, and everyone knew it. Why all of a sudden do people care? Haha
05:05 PM on 12/28/12
theskycouldfly
Bluth Family
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
i remember when you could buy friends on myspace. you can still buy likes and follows today. not sure why this is a big deal. its called business
05:07 PM on 12/28/12
Charles777
my anaconda don't
User Info.
Shady.
05:21 PM on 12/28/12
StephenYoung
dumb
User Info.
Whatever. These videos would have gotten high numbers anyways. If I had to guess, they "faked" views as insurance so that lesser-known singles and riskier artists wouldn't have videos with say 100 000 views total, or any low number.
05:25 PM on 12/28/12
CastlesXClouds
Relax
User Info.
wait i dont really understand, can someone explain this to me in derp terms
05:34 PM on 12/28/12
mynameisgeneric
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Don't they get paid for those views?

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News