Username
Password

01:02 AM on 01/02/13 
User Info.
Blueskyburning
-_-
BORO
Male - 25 Years Old
It's a lot easier than it sounds/looks, it might be a bit intimidating but really, all you are doing is slotting things into the right places. The only thing you might cock-up on is applying thermal paste the CPU if you've never done it before, but just read the manual or google it if you aren't too sure.

I like to do a quick build outside of the case first to make sure that everything is working OK and that nothing is DOA, before I put it all inside the case and wonder why x isn't working.
01:20 AM on 01/03/13 
User Info.
Blueskyburning
-_-
BORO
Male - 25 Years Old
I'm sure it's Seagate who had a model of drive that just stopped working because of some error with the firmware, if you updated it you were fine but if not your drive was bricked, haha. I've always used WD really, not sure why but I just did and I've never had any issues with them, even had a few Raptors back in the day.

For games I'd like to play through Metro 2033 again, I ran it on DX11 high before but it would be nice to run it with absolutely all the bells and whistles on with a nice frame rate. Same for last light. I wouldn't mind trying out the Nvidia 3D stuff, I don't find 3D as offensive as most and it would be real good to play 3D games without getting shitty resolutions like on the xbox.
02:25 AM on 01/10/13 
User Info.
Blueskyburning
-_-
BORO
Male - 25 Years Old
Haha really!? I never found installing the CPU to be that bad, I guess if you do it wrong and bend the pins you can completely fuck it and it would be a massive waste of money. I never had any issues really, just make sure it's in the right way and line it up with the little triangle, pull the lever down and job done

EDIT: I didn't realise it was your first build, good job. I guess the first time is a bit different because generally all you are thinking is "I hope I don't fuck this up and turn the CPU into an expensive paper weight"
02:42 AM on 01/10/13 
User Info.
Blueskyburning
-_-
BORO
Male - 25 Years Old
Hahahaha, I know exactly what you mean and I remember my first time doing it.
01:26 AM on 01/17/13 
User Info.
Blueskyburning
-_-
BORO
Male - 25 Years Old
Very nearly ordered the parts for my new build yesterday haha, going to hold off just a little longer though - £148.00 car tax is due the end of this month and I don't like not having much in the bank -_-

This is what I'm getting:

ASUS Rampage IV Extreme Intel X79
Antec High Current Pro Series Modular 1200W Power Supply
Intel Core i7-3930K Processor
2 x Intel 120GB SSD Drive
1x 3TB HD, probably a WD
GTX 680
Blu-ray drive
16gb DDR3 RAM

For the soundcard I have some ridiculous Soundblaster 1337PR0GAMERZFATAL1TY one but I remember something on Win7/Vista fucked the drivers so it didn't work as good, the mobo has good 5.1 onboard though so I think I might stick with that.

I was thinking about getting the GTX690 but at the moment it's still too pricey. I'm going to go SLI with 2 680s in the future.
01:42 AM on 01/17/13 
User Info.
Blueskyburning
-_-
BORO
Male - 25 Years Old
Haha I'm moving out later this year so I'm just going to splash a load on it before I start paying more rent and bills

I still need to find a nice big case that doesn't look like a UFO and have 1million LEDs all over it. I have one in a box that I've never used but I don't think it will be big enough for that board, plus I want one that I can get the airflow just right so when I go SLI I can just drop the card in. The last time I went SLI I had to fuck about for ages because the temps were a bit too high for my liking but I had 2x 8800GTX so they weren't exactly the coolest cards either.

I did fancy having a dabble with water cooling this time round but honestly I just can't be bothered with it
08:55 AM on 01/19/13 
User Info.
Blueskyburning
-_-
BORO
Male - 25 Years Old
Yeah the best thing to do is to keep your OS and most used stuff on the SSD and the rest on a normal HDD, SSDs are fast but it's not like you're going to be sat waiting forever loading stuff from a normal HDD anyway.

They're faster and they've definitely become a bit more affordable, but it's basically; Spend more, have less storage but load faster OR spend less, have more storage and slower loading times. Maybe when the technology comes on a bit and they're more affordable it would make sense, but for the sake of another 10 seconds loading a game, I really don't think it's worth the investment.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Submit News
CONNECT
Forums
Contests
RSS
Mobile Version
Banners, Flyers, Widgets