Username
Password

09:12 PM on 01/01/13 
User Info.
drewinseries
Fight to get it back again.
Boston, MA
Male - 23 Years Old
I am going to build my first computer over winter break before spring semester starts, and was curious if anyone on AP has built their own before?
09:30 PM on 01/01/13 
User Info.
drewinseries
Boston, MA
Male - 23 Years Old
I have a couple friends who are huge into this, and it absolutely blows my mind that it's possible. I don't have the analytical or mechanical ability to even process it, so I'm probably blowing out of proportion just how complex it is, but it's impressive nonetheless. All I really have to say on this topic, sorry I couldn't offer you anything productive.

No worries. I actually am really novice at PC's, and I have been a mac user for four years now. But if you ever have the time, some of the "how to build" type videos on youtube are really helpful and show how easy it actually is. The concept was very daunting at first, but with self research it seems to get easier and easier sounding.
08:30 AM on 01/02/13 
User Info.
drewinseries
Boston, MA
Male - 23 Years Old
Yea, I'm actually going to update my build in about a month. Are you building gaming/editing, or just general use?

I am building it with gaming in mind, but I will still use it generally. I am looking at the i7 3770k and gtx 680 for the cpu, gpu. Still looking at a few motherboards.
08:32 AM on 01/02/13 
User Info.
drewinseries
Boston, MA
Male - 23 Years Old
http://www.reddit.com/r/buildapc will help a lot.

Also, I work for a company that custom builds PC's. We use all Intel parts (motherboards and processors), EVGA graphics cards, and Western Digital hard drives (Stay Away from Seagate, Samsung, or Toshiba!)

I was looking at Seagate Barracuda HD, thanks for the heads up.
10:06 AM on 01/03/13 
User Info.
drewinseries
Boston, MA
Male - 23 Years Old
I'm working on one right now. What games are you guys looking to get into once you're done?

Im hoping to run Skyrim and Battlefield 3 on high settings when I am done. Will probably pick up Far Cry 3 as well, but Skyrim and Battlefield 3 are top priorities. As a long time Elder Scrolls fans, joining the mod community is far overdue.
11:31 AM on 01/03/13 
User Info.
drewinseries
Boston, MA
Male - 23 Years Old

That is great, thank you. I will probably refer to that when I cable my PC once everything is installed in the case.
11:55 AM on 01/03/13 
User Info.
drewinseries
Boston, MA
Male - 23 Years Old
Just ordered my first build. Quite excited.

What parts did you get?
02:30 PM on 01/10/13 
User Info.
drewinseries
Boston, MA
Male - 23 Years Old
Got some of the parts today from Microcenter, getting the rest that they didn't have in stock from Newegg tomorrow. Really excited to finally get this going, but at the same time quiet nervous to do it.
02:31 PM on 01/10/13 
User Info.
drewinseries
Boston, MA
Male - 23 Years Old
So jealous of people who can do this. I've always wanted to, but even the terminology in this thread confuses me haha. Almost took a class in hs that taught how to build and take apart computers, but I chickened out. I really have zero knowledge about it, but it seems fun to do. How long does it usually take to build?

I've watched videos of people who know what their doing do it in like 20-30 minutes. I have read that most people's first builds take anywhere from 2-3 hours. Installing and updating the OS is a whole other beast it seems.
08:27 PM on 01/16/13 
User Info.
drewinseries
Boston, MA
Male - 23 Years Old
Did mine today and coudn't be happier. Hardest part was cabling in my opinion. I have Skryim running on Ultra, and man does it look great.
08:51 PM on 01/18/13 
User Info.
drewinseries
Boston, MA
Male - 23 Years Old
Its actually much easier than you'd think isn't it? I thought cabling would have been harder but it went smooth enough for me

Everything definitely went smoother than I thought it would. The only issue I had was my CPU power chord from the PSU wasn't long enough to be cabled through the grommets then back through the case, so I had to wire it over the motherboard pretty much. Though I tied it up with a cable tie a long with the two cable fan wires that were around there.

Also, I have Skyrim, Borderlands 2 and Assassins Creed 3 (free downloads from Nvidia), Batman Arkham City and Battlefield 3, and I only have 58 gb left on my SSD. Whoops. I think in the next few weeks I will be upgraded to another 260 gb SSD and upping to 16 gb of RAM
07:47 AM on 01/19/13 
User Info.
drewinseries
Boston, MA
Male - 23 Years Old
I had the exact same problem man. Would you not go for a 1tb HDD for your games and media?

I don't claim to be well versed in a lot of specific parts, but from my research around the net and talking to folks who are versed in computer hardware, I have been told that the SSD while smaller, has much faster boot times. Im quiet amazed at my computers performance as it is now, I am not sure if I can get something that would be smaller. My case has a ton of drive bays, and I have two SATA ports left on my motherboard, maybe I can get another SSD just for gaming and put everything else on a HDD?
08:50 AM on 01/19/13 
User Info.
drewinseries
Boston, MA
Male - 23 Years Old
Yeah, no keep the ssd and keep windows on it and most used games on that but put games you aren't playing and media, like films, music and the like onto a bigger hard-drive? Gives you a large amount of space for stuff but still keeping windows and applications super fast. Also are you doing much outside gaming with your computer, because if you're just gaming there's no need to go over 8gb RAM. If you're doing stuff like video encoding or something with music then you could go high but strictly gaming needs no more than 8gb.

I will down the line probably getting some music recording software, but that wont be for a while.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos