Username
Password

08:01 AM on 01/02/13 
User Info.
SomedayTheFire
when I die there'll be no trumpets
Dublin, Ireland
Male - 23 Years Old
Currently in the process of ordering my first build, doesn't seem that hard really. Just hoping i don't fuck up somehow.
08:30 AM on 01/02/13 
User Info.
drewinseries
Fight to get it back again.
Boston, MA
Male - 23 Years Old
Yea, I'm actually going to update my build in about a month. Are you building gaming/editing, or just general use?

I am building it with gaming in mind, but I will still use it generally. I am looking at the i7 3770k and gtx 680 for the cpu, gpu. Still looking at a few motherboards.
08:32 AM on 01/02/13 
User Info.
drewinseries
Boston, MA
Male - 23 Years Old
http://www.reddit.com/r/buildapc will help a lot.

Also, I work for a company that custom builds PC's. We use all Intel parts (motherboards and processors), EVGA graphics cards, and Western Digital hard drives (Stay Away from Seagate, Samsung, or Toshiba!)

I was looking at Seagate Barracuda HD, thanks for the heads up.
10:01 AM on 01/02/13 
User Info.
Symphonicaxiom
Tell me it's you or nothing at all
Chicago
Male - 25 Years Old
I am building it with gaming in mind, but I will still use it generally. I am looking at the i7 3770k and gtx 680 for the cpu, gpu. Still looking at a few motherboards.

Sounds good. Most people aren't doing SLI nowadays but it's worth noting that Ivy Bridge does not support dual x16 when you use more than one pci-e slot so if that's something you might be interested in, probably want to look at the Sandy Bridge-E platform. Also get quad channel ram when you go that way.
02:01 PM on 01/02/13 
User Info.
esposimi
http://homestarrunner.com/sbemail45
Harrisburg, PA
Male - 24 Years Old
Sounds good. Most people aren't doing SLI nowadays but it's worth noting that Ivy Bridge does not support dual x16 when you use more than one pci-e slot so if that's something you might be interested in, probably want to look at the Sandy Bridge-E platform. Also get quad channel ram when you go that way.

A lot of the newer boards can actually do Triple or Quad SLI using a special chipset. You would have to go with an LGA 2011 board though
04:25 PM on 01/02/13 
User Info.
RyanPm40
Ryan
NH
Male - 21 Years Old
http://www.reddit.com/r/buildapc will help a lot.

Also, I work for a company that custom builds PC's. We use all Intel parts (motherboards and processors), EVGA graphics cards, and Western Digital hard drives (Stay Away from Seagate, Samsung, or Toshiba!)

What's wrong with them if you don't mind my asking? I've had a Seagate external drive for years and it still works great, and I think my buddy's pretty happy with his Toshiba haha. J/w
04:58 PM on 01/02/13 
User Info.
esposimi
http://homestarrunner.com/sbemail45
Harrisburg, PA
Male - 24 Years Old
What's wrong with them if you don't mind my asking? I've had a Seagate external drive for years and it still works great, and I think my buddy's pretty happy with his Toshiba haha. J/w

It's not their external ones I have had problems with. When a person comes to my shop and brings in a laptop or desktop with a bad hard drive, it's almost always a Seagate. Also, all the systems we build use Western Digital drives.
05:11 PM on 01/02/13 
User Info.
BozzBlonde
twitter.com/adeadgod
Lakeland, FL
Female - 21 Years Old
I'm working on one right now. What games are you guys looking to get into once you're done?
01:20 AM on 01/03/13 
User Info.
Blueskyburning
done
No Avatar Selected
I'm sure it's Seagate who had a model of drive that just stopped working because of some error with the firmware, if you updated it you were fine but if not your drive was bricked, haha. I've always used WD really, not sure why but I just did and I've never had any issues with them, even had a few Raptors back in the day.

For games I'd like to play through Metro 2033 again, I ran it on DX11 high before but it would be nice to run it with absolutely all the bells and whistles on with a nice frame rate. Same for last light. I wouldn't mind trying out the Nvidia 3D stuff, I don't find 3D as offensive as most and it would be real good to play 3D games without getting shitty resolutions like on the xbox.
10:06 AM on 01/03/13 
User Info.
drewinseries
Boston, MA
Male - 23 Years Old
I'm working on one right now. What games are you guys looking to get into once you're done?

Im hoping to run Skyrim and Battlefield 3 on high settings when I am done. Will probably pick up Far Cry 3 as well, but Skyrim and Battlefield 3 are top priorities. As a long time Elder Scrolls fans, joining the mod community is far overdue.
10:14 AM on 01/03/13 
User Info.
astaticskyline
Musician, Network Services Engineer
Syracuse, NY
Male - 28 Years Old
http://lifehacker.com/5828747/how-to...complete-guide

A great article.
10:51 AM on 01/03/13 
User Info.
RyanPm40
Ryan
NH
Male - 21 Years Old
Cracks me up, my buddy has a sweet custom PC that can run any game at the highest settings flawlessly, but Firefox still freezes up on it xD
11:31 AM on 01/03/13 
User Info.
drewinseries
Boston, MA
Male - 23 Years Old

That is great, thank you. I will probably refer to that when I cable my PC once everything is installed in the case.
11:39 AM on 01/03/13 
User Info.
SomedayTheFire
when I die there'll be no trumpets
Dublin, Ireland
Male - 23 Years Old
Just ordered my first build. Quite excited.
11:55 AM on 01/03/13 
User Info.
drewinseries
Boston, MA
Male - 23 Years Old
Just ordered my first build. Quite excited.

What parts did you get?

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version