Password

12:31 PM on 01/03/13 
User Info.
SomedayTheFire
when I die there'll be no trumpets
Dublin, Ireland
Male - 22 Years Old
What parts did you get?

Got an i5-3570k, AsRock Pro3 motherboard, Clu3d HD7950 GPU, BitFenix Shinobi and a Super Flower Amazon PSU. Along with a HDD and wireless card. Getting an SSD and new cpu cooler in a couple of months when I have the extra cash
04:05 PM on 01/04/13 
User Info.
Scrawns
indie sounding lyrics here
NW Suburbs, Illinois
Male - 25 Years Old
I was dead set on building my own PC this time around, and it ended up being far more expensive than buying one (400-500 dollars more expensive through newegg). Instead i used a custom build service with all of the parts I was going to buy anyway and saved a few hundred dollars and didn't have to worry about assembly. I ordered it right around the holidays too and they were giving MASSIVE upgrades on certain things for free too, so I actually came out even farther ahead than I intended to. I will admit that I was kind of pumped to put one together on my own and missing out kind of sucked, but when it arrived i spent a few hours going through and making sure everything was in proper order.
02:19 AM on 01/10/13 
User Info.
SomedayTheFire
Dublin, Ireland
Male - 22 Years Old
Just built my first pc yesterday, would post pics but I can't. One thing is, NOTHING CAN PREPARE YOU FOR THE HORRORS OF THE SOUND THE CPU CASING MAKES, and another, check your shit. I had it all set up and raring to go but it wouldn't turn on because my cooler was slightly loose. I had to take everything apart and put it back together again before I realised what was wrong.
02:25 AM on 01/10/13 
User Info.
Blueskyburning
done
No Avatar Selected
Haha really!? I never found installing the CPU to be that bad, I guess if you do it wrong and bend the pins you can completely fuck it and it would be a massive waste of money. I never had any issues really, just make sure it's in the right way and line it up with the little triangle, pull the lever down and job done

EDIT: I didn't realise it was your first build, good job. I guess the first time is a bit different because generally all you are thinking is "I hope I don't fuck this up and turn the CPU into an expensive paper weight"
02:38 AM on 01/10/13 
User Info.
SomedayTheFire
Dublin, Ireland
Male - 22 Years Old
Haha really!? I never found installing the CPU to be that bad, I guess if you do it wrong and bend the pins you can completely fuck it and it would be a massive waste of money. I never had any issues really, just make sure it's in the right way and line it up with the little triangle, pull the lever down and job done

EDIT: I didn't realise it was your first build, good job. I guess the first time is a bit different because generally all you are thinking is "I hope I don't fuck this up and turn the CPU into an expensive paper weight"

No, I should have worded that better I'll go back and edit it, I mean the sound the lever makes on the way down ahah that sound is horrible. Other than that and not putting in the cooler properly it was fine.
02:42 AM on 01/10/13 
User Info.
Blueskyburning
done
No Avatar Selected
Hahahaha, I know exactly what you mean and I remember my first time doing it.
02:58 AM on 01/10/13 
User Info.
SomedayTheFire
Dublin, Ireland
Male - 22 Years Old
I had watched many videos, read all about how horrible this sound was so I thought I was prepared but no. fuck. that's horrible haha. Surprisingly, what I thought would be that hardest part, wiring everything up was rather easy, only thing a couple of the wires were a tad short so getting them around the back would have been very hard.
03:30 AM on 01/10/13 
User Info.
kianacarly
I'm living it, leaving it to change
PNW
Female - 21 Years Old
So jealous of people who can do this. I've always wanted to, but even the terminology in this thread confuses me haha. Almost took a class in hs that taught how to build and take apart computers, but I chickened out. I really have zero knowledge about it, but it seems fun to do. How long does it usually take to build?
02:30 PM on 01/10/13 
User Info.
drewinseries
Fight to get it back again.
Boston, MA
Male - 23 Years Old
Got some of the parts today from Microcenter, getting the rest that they didn't have in stock from Newegg tomorrow. Really excited to finally get this going, but at the same time quiet nervous to do it.
02:31 PM on 01/10/13 
User Info.
drewinseries
Boston, MA
Male - 23 Years Old
So jealous of people who can do this. I've always wanted to, but even the terminology in this thread confuses me haha. Almost took a class in hs that taught how to build and take apart computers, but I chickened out. I really have zero knowledge about it, but it seems fun to do. How long does it usually take to build?

I've watched videos of people who know what their doing do it in like 20-30 minutes. I have read that most people's first builds take anywhere from 2-3 hours. Installing and updating the OS is a whole other beast it seems.
03:20 PM on 01/10/13 
User Info.
SomedayTheFire
Dublin, Ireland
Male - 22 Years Old
Mine took about 2-3 hours yeah cause I fucked up a little with the cooler install but I'd say it's pretty easy to get it done in 45 minutes if you do it perfectly first time. Windows installed in about 10 minutes for me
08:27 PM on 01/16/13 
User Info.
drewinseries
Boston, MA
Male - 23 Years Old
Did mine today and coudn't be happier. Hardest part was cabling in my opinion. I have Skryim running on Ultra, and man does it look great.
01:04 AM on 01/17/13 
User Info.
SomedayTheFire
Dublin, Ireland
Male - 22 Years Old
Its actually much easier than you'd think isn't it? I thought cabling would have been harder but it went smooth enough for me
01:26 AM on 01/17/13 
User Info.
Blueskyburning
done
No Avatar Selected
Very nearly ordered the parts for my new build yesterday haha, going to hold off just a little longer though - £148.00 car tax is due the end of this month and I don't like not having much in the bank -_-

This is what I'm getting:

ASUS Rampage IV Extreme Intel X79
Antec High Current Pro Series Modular 1200W Power Supply
Intel Core i7-3930K Processor
2 x Intel 120GB SSD Drive
1x 3TB HD, probably a WD
GTX 680
Blu-ray drive
16gb DDR3 RAM

For the soundcard I have some ridiculous Soundblaster 1337PR0GAMERZFATAL1TY one but I remember something on Win7/Vista fucked the drivers so it didn't work as good, the mobo has good 5.1 onboard though so I think I might stick with that.

I was thinking about getting the GTX690 but at the moment it's still too pricey. I'm going to go SLI with 2 680s in the future.
01:37 AM on 01/17/13 
User Info.
SomedayTheFire
Dublin, Ireland
Male - 22 Years Old
Very nearly ordered the parts for my new build yesterday haha, going to hold off just a little longer though - 148.00 car tax is due the end of this month and I don't like not having much in the bank -_-

This is what I'm getting:

ASUS Rampage IV Extreme Intel X79
Antec High Current Pro Series Modular 1200W Power Supply
Intel Core i7-3930K Processor
2 x Intel 120GB SSD Drive
1x 3TB HD, probably a WD
GTX 680
Blu-ray drive
16gb DDR3 RAM
For the soundcard I have some ridiculous Soundblaster 1337PR0GAMERZFATAL1TY one but I remember something on Win7/Vista fucked the drivers so it didn't work as good, the mobo has good 5.1 onboard though so I think I might stick with that.
going to SLI the 680 in the future.

Ha wish I had the funds for something like this. Pretty unreal build.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos