Username
Password

01:42 AM on 01/17/13 
User Info.
Blueskyburning
-_-
BORO
Male - 25 Years Old
Haha I'm moving out later this year so I'm just going to splash a load on it before I start paying more rent and bills

I still need to find a nice big case that doesn't look like a UFO and have 1million LEDs all over it. I have one in a box that I've never used but I don't think it will be big enough for that board, plus I want one that I can get the airflow just right so when I go SLI I can just drop the card in. The last time I went SLI I had to fuck about for ages because the temps were a bit too high for my liking but I had 2x 8800GTX so they weren't exactly the coolest cards either.

I did fancy having a dabble with water cooling this time round but honestly I just can't be bothered with it
08:51 PM on 01/18/13 
User Info.
drewinseries
Fight to get it back again.
Boston, MA
Male - 23 Years Old
Its actually much easier than you'd think isn't it? I thought cabling would have been harder but it went smooth enough for me

Everything definitely went smoother than I thought it would. The only issue I had was my CPU power chord from the PSU wasn't long enough to be cabled through the grommets then back through the case, so I had to wire it over the motherboard pretty much. Though I tied it up with a cable tie a long with the two cable fan wires that were around there.

Also, I have Skyrim, Borderlands 2 and Assassins Creed 3 (free downloads from Nvidia), Batman Arkham City and Battlefield 3, and I only have 58 gb left on my SSD. Whoops. I think in the next few weeks I will be upgraded to another 260 gb SSD and upping to 16 gb of RAM
02:05 AM on 01/19/13 
User Info.
SomedayTheFire
when I die there'll be no trumpets
Dublin, Ireland
Male - 22 Years Old
Everything definitely went smoother than I thought it would. The only issue I had was my CPU power chord from the PSU wasn't long enough to be cabled through the grommets then back through the case, so I had to wire it over the motherboard pretty much. Though I tied it up with a cable tie a long with the two cable fan wires that were around there.

Also, I have Skyrim, Borderlands 2 and Assassins Creed 3 (free downloads from Nvidia), Batman Arkham City and Battlefield 3, and I only have 58 gb left on my SSD. Whoops. I think in the next few weeks I will be upgraded to another 260 gb SSD and upping to 16 gb of RAM

I had the exact same problem man. Would you not go for a 1tb HDD for your games and media?
07:47 AM on 01/19/13 
User Info.
drewinseries
Boston, MA
Male - 23 Years Old
I had the exact same problem man. Would you not go for a 1tb HDD for your games and media?

I don't claim to be well versed in a lot of specific parts, but from my research around the net and talking to folks who are versed in computer hardware, I have been told that the SSD while smaller, has much faster boot times. Im quiet amazed at my computers performance as it is now, I am not sure if I can get something that would be smaller. My case has a ton of drive bays, and I have two SATA ports left on my motherboard, maybe I can get another SSD just for gaming and put everything else on a HDD?
08:09 AM on 01/19/13 
User Info.
SomedayTheFire
when I die there'll be no trumpets
Dublin, Ireland
Male - 22 Years Old
I don't claim to be well versed in a lot of specific parts, but from my research around the net and talking to folks who are versed in computer hardware, I have been told that the SSD while smaller, has much faster boot times. Im quiet amazed at my computers performance as it is now, I am not sure if I can get something that would be smaller. My case has a ton of drive bays, and I have two SATA ports left on my motherboard, maybe I can get another SSD just for gaming and put everything else on a HDD?

Yeah, no keep the ssd and keep windows on it and most used games on that but put games you aren't playing and media, like films, music and the like onto a bigger hard-drive? Gives you a large amount of space for stuff but still keeping windows and applications super fast. Also are you doing much outside gaming with your computer, because if you're just gaming there's no need to go over 8gb RAM. If you're doing stuff like video encoding or something with music then you could go high but strictly gaming needs no more than 8gb.
08:50 AM on 01/19/13 
User Info.
drewinseries
Boston, MA
Male - 23 Years Old
Yeah, no keep the ssd and keep windows on it and most used games on that but put games you aren't playing and media, like films, music and the like onto a bigger hard-drive? Gives you a large amount of space for stuff but still keeping windows and applications super fast. Also are you doing much outside gaming with your computer, because if you're just gaming there's no need to go over 8gb RAM. If you're doing stuff like video encoding or something with music then you could go high but strictly gaming needs no more than 8gb.

I will down the line probably getting some music recording software, but that wont be for a while.
08:55 AM on 01/19/13 
User Info.
Blueskyburning
-_-
BORO
Male - 25 Years Old
Yeah the best thing to do is to keep your OS and most used stuff on the SSD and the rest on a normal HDD, SSDs are fast but it's not like you're going to be sat waiting forever loading stuff from a normal HDD anyway.

They're faster and they've definitely become a bit more affordable, but it's basically; Spend more, have less storage but load faster OR spend less, have more storage and slower loading times. Maybe when the technology comes on a bit and they're more affordable it would make sense, but for the sake of another 10 seconds loading a game, I really don't think it's worth the investment.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Submit News
CONNECT
Forums
Contests
RSS
Mobile Version
Banners, Flyers, Widgets