Username
Password
Hip-Hop News - Page 3
Displaying posts 30 - 45 of 57.
10:41 PM on 01/02/13
WeltallAY
Je suis l'Alpha et l'Oméga
User Info.
Just saw this guy on Conan....what the fuck is all the fuss about?! Everyone on AP seems to suck this guys dick but there is nothing special about him. Granted I don't care for rap typically but even with other lauded acts (i.e.; saw a Frank Ocean performance, thought it was chill and a bit unique) I can see why someone may be popular. This guy seemed to be reading off a card or something.
10:48 PM on 01/02/13
I am Mick
http://www.worncolors.bandcamp.c om
User Info.
I feel like this comes off as just about any hip-hop single without the context of the album.
Feel the same way about every song on the album. Hope most people will just sit down and listen to the full thing
11:13 PM on 01/02/13
Drew Beringer
Senior Editor - @drewberinger - Locked Groove
User Info.
11:46 PM on 01/02/13
Jukebox Romeo
User Info.
Just saw this guy on Conan....what the fuck is all the fuss about?! Everyone on AP seems to suck this guys dick but there is nothing special about him. Granted I don't care for rap typically but even with other lauded acts (i.e.; saw a Frank Ocean performance, thought it was chill and a bit unique) I can see why someone may be popular. This guy seemed to be reading off a card or something.
He's a really great rapper. I would recommend listening to his album before forming an opinion.
05:57 AM on 01/03/13
InstruMETAL
Be the change you wish to see
User Info.
This song is awesome. Video needs less fat guy, more Sherane however.
08:52 AM on 01/03/13
Holly HoX!
User Info.
white people love kendrick lamar

fucking dumb
08:53 AM on 01/03/13
Holly HoX!
User Info.

fucking dumb
10:32 AM on 01/03/13
Shatter_Glass
Take Apart Your Head
User Info.
If you don't care for rap then why bother. His flow is comparable to the top 3 MCs ever while still sounding very unique. Kendrick Lamar will be in hip hops top ten when its all said and done .
12:09 PM on 01/03/13
suicidesaints
A Million F@$% Diamonds
User Info.
I hate when people say shit like this, especially about rappers. Of course an artist isn't going to intentionally pick songs that would perform poorer as singles, especially if they have a good chance of getting a lot of radio airplay etc. with a different song. "Backseat Freestyle" makes perfect sense as a single and is a great song. Who cares if people "get" it? Get over yourself.
I tend to agree that "it doesn't matter what the artist was trying to say, it's still a hit"

but

it's a bit ironic that a bunch of people are getting drunk while listening to Swimming Pools and they think it's a drinking song
12:26 PM on 01/03/13
Chris Collum
User Info.
I tend to agree that "it doesn't matter what the artist was trying to say, it's still a hit"

but

it's a bit ironic that a bunch of people are getting drunk while listening to Swimming Pools and they think it's a drinking song
Yeah it definitely is both ironic and to a certain extent unfortunate that it's misinterpreted like that, but that kind of thing happens in popular music--especially when an artist has a song that operates on multiple levels and isn't simply comprised of base vapidity--and has for forever. (See also: Reagan attempting to use Springsteen's "Born in the USA" in the 80s as a campaign anthem/patriotic rallying cry, etc.)

I stand by what I said. A hit is a hit is a hit. And they're both good songs. Personally I'm just stoked to be able to turn on Top 40 and hear some shit I like a lot (Kendrick, Frank Ocean, Miguel, The Weeknd, most of the G.O.O.D. Music stuff and whatnot) alongside the sludge of shit.
01:02 PM on 01/03/13
Dre Okorley
User Info.
This song is awesome. Video needs less fat guy, more Sherane however.
...his father.
01:03 PM on 01/03/13
Dre Okorley
User Info.
I feel like this comes off as just about any hip-hop single without the context of the album.
Agreed. Smartest comment in the thread.
01:21 PM on 01/03/13
suicidesaints
A Million F@$% Diamonds
User Info.
Yeah it definitely is both ironic and to a certain extent unfortunate that it's misinterpreted like that, but that kind of thing happens in popular music--especially when an artist has a song that operates on multiple levels and isn't simply comprised of base vapidity--and has for forever. (See also: Reagan attempting to use Springsteen's "Born in the USA" in the 80s as a campaign anthem/patriotic rallying cry, etc.)

I stand by what I said. A hit is a hit is a hit. And they're both good songs. Personally I'm just stoked to be able to turn on Top 40 and hear some shit I like a lot (Kendrick, Frank Ocean, Miguel, The Weeknd, most of the G.O.O.D. Music stuff and whatnot) alongside the sludge of shit.

I agree with this completely... It's nice to hear hip hop on the radio that actually has some substance
01:48 PM on 01/03/13
Chris Collum
User Info.
Agreed. Smartest comment in the thread.
He's right that it does, but so what?
01:50 PM on 01/03/13
Dre Okorley
User Info.
Personally I'm just stoked to be able to turn on Top 40 and hear some shit I like a lot (Kendrick, Frank Ocean, Miguel, The Weeknd, most of the G.O.O.D. Music stuff and whatnot) alongside the sludge of shit.
Hopefully that'll turn into the trend.
Options
Related News Stories

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums