AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

10:10 AM on 01/04/13 
User Info.
thesinkingship
this boat is obviously sinking
Tralfamadorian
Unemployment is currently 7.8% which is interestingly enough the current rate in the U.K.
10:37 AM on 01/04/13 
User Info.
dom_182
Reckless Abandon
Male - 23 Years Old
9/10 times you find a job here by knowing someone or having some type of "in". I have friends with masters degrees who are really having trouble finding an entry level job. You need to make yourself stand out in some type of way. If you have money saved up, move here and look. Stop by businesses in person and hand them your resume. Make an impression. But rest assured, if you do that, it's a full time job in and of itself. And it'll most likely require more energy than any job that comes of it. It's exhausting.

I'll bite. What's your degree in? Only reason I ask is because you seem like an asshole and I want to see if you fit any funny stereotypes.

Yeah i guessed as much. I'll keep looking and hope that anything comes up. It's obviously not an ideal time to be looking for work right out of university, but I'll just have to get on with it! Cheers dude.
11:57 PM on 01/04/13 
User Info.
mudwayne
No Avatar Selected
Lowell, MA
Male - 29 Years Old
I moved from Reading over to Boston last September and managed to get a job at GameStop. Within a year, I've been promoted twice and am now an assistant store manager.

You'll find the accent helps A LOT when trying to find a job. It certainly helped me out.
09:08 AM on 01/05/13 
User Info.
moontard
every thought, a thought of you
Glasgow
Male - 24 Years Old
I moved from Reading over to Boston last September and managed to get a job at GameStop. Within a year, I've been promoted twice and am now an assistant store manager.

You'll find the accent helps A LOT when trying to find a job. It certainly helped me out.

I'm confused - how did you manage that one? Are you marrying someone from the US and on some fiance Visa?
07:23 PM on 01/05/13 
User Info.
ari telescope
kitties
Southern California
Female - 27 Years Old

Totally true.
07:38 PM on 01/05/13 
User Info.
mudwayne
No Avatar Selected
Lowell, MA
Male - 29 Years Old
I'm confused - how did you manage that one? Are you marrying someone from the US and on some fiance Visa?

I married a girl from here 4 years ago. It took 3 years for the visa to come through. I finally moved here last September and got the job in October. It was the best thing that ever happened to me, marriage not included.
07:43 PM on 01/05/13 
User Info.
eriatarka24

And this whole time I've been trying to get rid of mine............
12:12 AM on 01/06/13 
User Info.
Jenajena
Jena ≈ Gina.
Las Vegas, NV
Female - 21 Years Old
Las Vegas is a great place to live. It's not extremely expensive, and is only a few hour drive away from California (which is expensive, but a fun place to visit). I would suggest not living TOO close to the strip, though. There are nicer areas of LV to live in, and they're cheaper.

Also, you could try applying in marketing departments of the hotels and businesses here. Even if jobs are scarce, your degree could help.
12:18 AM on 01/06/13 
User Info.
ari telescope
kitties
Southern California
Female - 27 Years Old
Would not recommend living in Las Vegas, but hey, to each their own I suppose. I just really really wouldn't. Too hot, too old, too much white trash and everything is dead. Maybe it's just what I notice.

Although I do agree the marketing there could have opportunity because of the hotels and endless shows, at least for a starter position, so you win some you lose some. Chicago like others said is also a big place for marketing and advertising businesses.
12:23 AM on 01/06/13 
User Info.
Jenajena
Jena ≈ Gina.
Las Vegas, NV
Female - 21 Years Old
Would not recommend living in Las Vegas, but hey, to each their own I suppose. I just really really wouldn't. Too hot, too old, too much white trash and everything is dead. Maybe it's just what I notice.

Although I do agree the marketing there could have opportunity because of the hotels and endless shows, at least for a starter position, so you win some you lose some. Chicago like others said is also a big place for marketing and advertising businesses.

I see where you're coming from. I understand that some of the town is pretty old, but most neighborhoods are pretty new. Especially the Aliante area, which is far from Old Las Vegas.

The white trash thing, I'm not following as much. But we all have different experiences I suppose.

Oh, and I personally don't mind the weather. Yeah, it's hot in the summer, but at least our winters aren't too cold. And it isn't humid, which is something I hate about New York summers.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos