AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review

The Future of the Left - The Plot Against... Album Cover

The Future of the Left - The Plot Against...

Reviewed by
Future of the Left-The Plot Against Common Sense
Record Label: X-tra Mile Records
Release Date: June 12, 2012
Okay Plot unveiled FOTL's expanded line up, ridden of longtime bassist Kelson Mathias, with new bassist/keyboardist/vocalist/, Julia Ruzicka and new guitarist/vocalist Jimmy Watkins.Anyone who feared that a loss, with new additions would destroy the creativity and originality or take away from the overall quality: Your fear was a lost cause.

FOTL has shown that with line-up changes, new additions, and economic situations would not change their direction down. However, the group decides to steer away from explosive ferocity from "Travels With Myself and Another', with means of a new sound; a more enduring grind, with an almost mechanical precision. You can see immediately with their track "Failed Olympic Bid" and a grim inevitability with "A Guide to Men"'s lumbering rhythm, claustrophobic synths. These tighter, denser whirls of sound underscore and irritation in Andy Faulkous' words, and while being surrounded by confederates have inspired him since the Mclusky days, his lyrics have been toner, sharper, and more hysterical.

Plot features a category of songs that focus on political matters in the UK with songs like "Anchor" which deals with what seems as alcoholism and "I am the Least of Your Problems" as it goes off on how better things could be dealt with, but instead they're dealing with pointless matters and such; and category of songs that just tell media the truth as you see with "Robo-Cop 4: Fuck Off" and "Cosmos Ladder" spewing lyrical thoughts such as "Don't Go upstairs, Cosmopolitan say don't go upstairs! Gravity keeps you young." relating to the matter of media lies, and influences.

The Plot Against Common Sense shows that Future of the Left is fighting a good fight, and will be; Regardless of the line-up. Plot is a great addition to the Punk playlist for anyone; FOTL is not something to surpass, but to give a listen and see what's happening around the world.

-Michael Crouse

Track Listing:
1. Sheena is a T-Shirt Salesman
2. Failed Olympic Bid
3. Beneath the Waves an Ocean
4. Cosmo's Ladder
5. City of Exploded Children
6. Goals in Slow Motion
7. Camp Cappuccino
8. Polymers are Forever
9. Robo-Cop 4 - Fuck Off
10. Sorry Dad, I was Late for the Riots
11. I am the Least of Your Problems
12. A Guide to Men
13. Anchor
14. Rubber Animals
15. Notes on Achieving Orbit
This review is a user submitted review from tortags. You can see all of tortags's submitted reviews here.

No one has commented on this album review.
You can be the first.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version