Username
Password

10:00 AM on 01/04/13 
User Info.
RyanPm40
Ryan
NH
Male - 21 Years Old
Guys, all hospitals require certain vaccinations and background checks for their workers for the safety of their patients and staff. It's pretty common. To do my clinical, I needed a flu shot, hep b shot, mumps, measles, rubella, tetanus, TB test, and a full background check (and probably more, I don't remember it all haha). Idk, I don't see the big deal... this reminds me, I completely forgot to get another flu shot this season... woops haha
10:39 AM on 01/04/13 
User Info.
RyanPm40
Ryan
NH
Male - 21 Years Old
Well, maybe it's not a big deal at a place like a hospital... but it would be a bigger deal if it were at a place like Wal-Mart or somewhere where you are not treating sick patients.

I think the real issue is, when/where is it appropriate to force people to be vaccinated, and was this employee ever previously required to be vaccinated (she worked there for 20+ years)

Seems to me from the article, she never got one before, but due to an increased risk in her area that year, they made it mandatory. She usually got a waiver due to religious reasons. Idk, I'm kind of on the fence for this. I understand why a hospital would require this, and I too live in a place where they can fire you for any non-discriminatory reason, so I'm used to places of employment being that way. But, on the other hand, if it goes against her religious beliefs, I don't see why she can't be given the option to wear a mask. Do you know how many times nurses go into a patient's room with precautions for MRSA and barely wear their required Personal Protective Equipment and then go onto the next room? It's pretty shocking how many hospitals look the other way for basic, standard procedures that any nursing school would teach. That's far worse than the flu, in my opinion.

But, yeah, I agree it'd be a huger deal at Wal-Mart. It should only be a requirement in medical facilities, in my opinion, because it has people who are already sick, weak, and with compromised immune systems, making them a larger risk of death from the influenza virus.
11:31 AM on 01/04/13 
User Info.
RyanPm40
Ryan
NH
Male - 21 Years Old
For the most part, it's not sarcasm. Employers should have the right to only employ healthy, virus-free, drug-free, honest employees. Testing would only weed out the undesirables.

..so chronically ill patients looking for jobs should just piss off? haha hiring someone based on their health is pretty discriminatory
12:22 PM on 01/04/13 
User Info.
RyanPm40
Ryan
NH
Male - 21 Years Old
Just playing devils advocate (especially because this is the business I'm in), but an employees habit does sometimes affect the business. Employees who are obese, smokers, drug addicts, or subject themselves to unhealthy habits end up costing the business a ton in health insurance costs. Especially with small businesses... no word of lie I've seen 1 single employee cost a small business an extra $14,000 in health insurance premium throughout the year.

I do agree with you guys to a certain extent though... the answer isn't regulating employees outside of when they're working. But those decisions can cost their business.

I have a chronic illness that causes me to take two antibiotics daily and many doctor's appointments. A business shouldn't hire me because of this? I can't help that I'm sick, they're the ones providing the health insurance haha. I know it's not great for a business, but I'd be highly offended if a place didn't hire me even though I'm more qualified than any other, just for being sick..
12:25 PM on 01/04/13 
User Info.
RyanPm40
Ryan
NH
Male - 21 Years Old
it really, really does. if i can anticipate needing to take a day off unpaid after using up all my PTO, fine. but the sick time thing...i went back to work still sounding like shit and coughing everywhere two weeks ago because i was out of sick time and just could not afford to take another unanticipated unpaid day.
edit: i realize im lucky to get sick time to begin with but that's not my point

Yeah, seriously. Also, at my work you can get yelled at/penalized for not giving like a few days notice. Like wtf? Sometimes you just get sick all of a sudden. I've been on my way out the door to work then all of a sudden had to throw up in the toilet right before out of nowhere haha
12:29 PM on 01/04/13 
User Info.
RyanPm40
Ryan
NH
Male - 21 Years Old
That's kind of a different story.. in fact, if a business were to do that it'd be completely illegal. And in my job I certainly can't disclose any employees personal health info to the employer. BUT... the sad truth is that a struggling small business is more likely to hire a young guy than they are an older woman because 1. women are more expensive to insure than men and 2. younger individuals cost less. And this is regardless of who is more qualified.

I was speaking more along the lines of unhealthy habits.. smoking, drinking, etc.

Ah, fair enough. I honestly can't say I disagree when it's something you're purposely doing to yourself
02:01 PM on 01/04/13 
User Info.
RyanPm40
Ryan
NH
Male - 21 Years Old
Vaccines put metal in your body. My 2 cents.

Yeah, to be honest, I had no idea mercury and aluminum were in vaccines. What the fuck? I don't get how the medical community can constantly tell us how awful those are for us and then be perplexed as to why some may not want to get a vaccine haha

But, I personally don't care. Tons of people have been getting them for years with no issues, and I haven't ever experienced any sick feelings/symptoms the next day. Sometimes I'll feel like someone gave me a dead arm, but that's pretty much it.
02:35 PM on 01/04/13 
User Info.
RyanPm40
Ryan
NH
Male - 21 Years Old
http://vaxtruth.org/2012/08/indiana-...-ill-call-cps/

This is one of the most fucked up things I've ever read

tl;dr

Doctor kicks mother out of his clinic and threatens to call CPS for her not allowing him to inject 14 vaccinations into her 2 year old. Tries to take the baby from her hands three different times against her will.
03:24 PM on 01/04/13 
User Info.
RyanPm40
Ryan
NH
Male - 21 Years Old
Yea, my mom is very into alternative medicine and homeopathy and although its not like theres terrible outer symptoms of vaccines right away, the metal fucks with your body. That story is disgusting and that doctor should be fired.

I would have punched that doctor square in the nuts by the 2nd or third time he tried to take my kid without asking. Seriously, if a doctor threatened to call CPS on me, I'd just say alright! I'll wait here with you and call the police for attempted kidnap and assault of my fucking kid! That story got me so angry haha
10:37 AM on 01/05/13 
User Info.
RyanPm40
Ryan
NH
Male - 21 Years Old
I'm fine with the Doctor kicking her out, but not trying to take the baby. The mother, and the anti-vaccine movement in general, is a cancer.

Yeah, mercury, aluminum, formaldehyde, and MSG are great to inject in your body. Totally doesn't increase your risk for Alzheimer's, can cause various neurological issues, cause your microglia to overreact, and cause an immune overactivation for up to 2 years. Mercury totally doesn't have the ability to cross your blood brain barrier.
12:13 PM on 01/05/13 
User Info.
RyanPm40
Ryan
NH
Male - 21 Years Old
Cute. Are you against all vaccines?

I'm not "against" them. I get all of my vaccines regularly (I was a nursing major for 3 semesters so I had manny done recently; really liked the lecture material but just didn't mesh well with the hands-on). I can just understand why someone else wouldn't be comfortable with it. I do like to avoid the flu shot (at my nurse practitioner's suggestion) because I have lyme disease and a lot of LD patients have reports of feeling significantly sicker for days/weeks after injection, but I did get mine last season for nursing.

Just saying, there are valid health concerns out there for any vaccination, and although I've never experienced any ill effects from a vaccine other than a dead-arm feeling the next day, I can get why others would be hesitant. I have one friend who had the gardisil shot and has had neurological issues and has needed multiple brain surgeries since, and another friend who needed heart surgery shortly after getting some vaccinations. I wouldn't judge them for being picky with vaccines haha
12:26 PM on 01/05/13 
User Info.
RyanPm40
Ryan
NH
Male - 21 Years Old
I just get confused by the amount of doctors out there who are perplexed as to why a patient wouldn't want vaccinations, when those same doctors have been saying for years that there is no safe amount of mercury for the human body haha. I see (and agree for the most part) with your view, but I just don't really care or judge someone for not wanting one. It's their own body. But, in a health facility, I think it should be mandatory for workers, with a mask necessary at all times if you get a waiver that lets you avoid getting the vaccination.
03:34 PM on 01/05/13 
User Info.
RyanPm40
Ryan
NH
Male - 21 Years Old
They shouldn't drive to the doctor then, because that trip would be far more dangerous.

It's not the best decision for the child.

Some may argue that a car trip would also be more dangerous than not getting vaccinated , especially flu vaccines, which are just kind of a guessing game of which influenza strain is the most prevalent that year. Many people could still get a different strain of the flu that season haha. But, yeah, I see your point. Once again, I'm not necessarily disagreeing, just saying I respect those who don't want vaccinations.

I've lately been more of a fan of forms of Eastern Medicine and herbal therapy. I feel like there's something wrong with the amount of drugs and chemicals we pump into our bodies nowadays, although I'm not saying they aren't necessary and highly beneficial for certain (and many) cases. I think scientists should really look more into herbal research- there could be many diseases that can be cured harmlessly from a plant we grow out of the ground!
11:20 AM on 01/06/13 
User Info.
RyanPm40
Ryan
NH
Male - 21 Years Old
How about the diseases that were almost eradicated but now are coming back because of twits like Jenny McCarthy refusing to keep their stupid fucking mouths shut?

Haha what about Jenny McCarthy? Didn't we *think* small pox was eradicated or something but someone brought it from overseas and a pandemic occurred for a bit somewhere in the US? That's the only case I can think of.
10:23 AM on 01/14/13 
User Info.
RyanPm40
Ryan
NH
Male - 21 Years Old
Let me guess, you're one of those people who isn't going to let his daughter get the HPV vaccine because it cause mental retardation, right?

I have a friend who got that and now there's something about her that's a bit off. She's had multiple brain surgeries. I've seen pictures of her brain. The threat of risks from the HPV vaccine is very real.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Submit News
CONNECT
Forums
Contests
RSS
Mobile Version
Banners, Flyers, Widgets