Password

12:31 AM on 01/23/13 
User Info.
Palestinian
Unregistered User
No Avatar Selected
Bay Area, CA
Male - 20 Years Old
Flu shots are great for the masses and on a mass scale, but I can't trust them on a personal basis. I'm sure they're great at preventing epidemics but I bet they might cause more harm than good for a lot of individuals, like with anything standardized to such an extent. Until they begin to cater these shots more to the consumer, which would ideally mean pure competition between medical companies in research to produce the ideal flu shot for different and varying body types, genders, races, blood types, red blood cell levels (or whatever the fuck else is significant to these vaccines), etc, I see no reason to inject some mass produced surprise vaccine intravenously. When it really comes down to it, I can't help but think things like 'what if they mixed the solution wrong and there's way more metal in there than there should be' or 'what if this doctor is a stupid fuck and shoots this into the wrong place' or something. I always trust my skepticism, it's served me well.

*PROBABILITY RAMBLINGS*
In terms of risk: High fragility, low risk for me, no reason for taking shots. But the masses are highly antifragile, improving and increasing levels of antifragility with updated vaccines (due to randomness of flu strains every year), and with the huge threat of a black swan event occurring, it's very worthwhile to pursue such precautions.

Risk aversion: who's taking more risk, the person that takes the shot or the one that doesn't? I say the person that does is taking more risk if the person that doesn't is healthy (good diet/exercise).

Purely in terms of flu-prevention: The people that do take the shots see their selves as completely risk-averse, and since they are in terms of catching the flu, they are very anti-fragile. The people that don't take the shots see their selves as possibly, or logically, at higher risk, and logically, they should acknowledge this behavior as riskier to some extent, again purely in terms of flu-prevention (which makes them antifragile, because they are aware).

Conclusively... the system in place is ideal for preventing tragedies (black swan events) even if many (but not too many) abstain from vaccination. As a general rule, people should be encouraged to take these vaccines. This is for public safety, to prevent a BS event. Vaccines should even be mandated to an extent. If such a system is in place, this gives room for people like me to abstain while still maintaining a very antifragile and risk averse system that prevents tragedies very well.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos