Password

01:12 PM on 01/09/13 
User Info.
Dustin Harkins
Go support Kony 2012 some more
Harker Heights, TX
Male - 23 Years Old
what's the other thing?

I feel like presidents spend way too much of their first term campaigning for the second and splitting that attention causes a lot less to get done than what's supposed to. If there were no limit on terms, would it mean they'd be constantly campaigning and possibly playing it safer just for the sake of being re-elected instead of doing what they want/need to do with their job? If that were the case, I wouldn't want it. However, it could also be looked at as "Oh well I can't just campaign forever so I'll just do my best now and not worry about re-election" since there's no limit and they could always come back...I'm not sure. I just don't want so much time to be wasted by the president on campaigning.
01:28 PM on 01/09/13 
User Info.
knash9
Registered Member
Pittsburgh, PA
Male - 20 Years Old
Sorry, I misread your post. I thought you were saying the presidency is the only office that faces serious scrutiny regarding the electoral process... I think you were trying to say the presidency is the election in which most people will actually know anything about the politicians running for office

Yes, that is what I was trying to say but didn't phrase it in the most clear manner. Essentially, the media and the public should be enough of a protection to give citizens their wishes for the executive branch.
01:50 PM on 01/09/13 
User Info.
suicidesaints
A Million F@$% Diamonds
Dallas
Male - 30 Years Old
Yes, that is what I was trying to say but didn't phrase it in the most clear manner. Essentially, the media and the public should be enough of a protection to give citizens their wishes for the executive branch.

I agree with you in theory, but with lobbyists and the way the media is skewed, I think that allowing someone to be president for their entire life is asinine. IMO, I think that the president should change every so often just to bring new ideas to the table... even if they are the best president
01:53 PM on 01/09/13 
User Info.
David87
That guy
Wilmington, DE
Male - 26 Years Old
My idea for what term limits should be...

1. Presidents are elected to one 6 year term

2. Presidents are NOT eligible for re-election after their first 6 year term.

3. They CAN be re-elected to a second term, just can't be immediately following their first term.

This gives PResidents more time to do what tehy're doing, without having to spend the entire first term worrying about re-election
01:56 PM on 01/09/13 
User Info.
Dustin Harkins
Go support Kony 2012 some more
Harker Heights, TX
Male - 23 Years Old

3. They CAN be re-elected to a second term, just can't be immediately following their first term.

This gives PResidents more time to do what tehy're doing, without having to spend the entire first term worrying about re-election

I think I like this. Haven't had time to think about it more, but what I wanted to do revolved around one 6-year term as well.
01:59 PM on 01/09/13 
User Info.
suicidesaints
A Million F@$% Diamonds
Dallas
Male - 30 Years Old

I like this too
02:14 PM on 01/09/13 
User Info.
knash9
Registered Member
Pittsburgh, PA
Male - 20 Years Old
I agree with you in theory, but with lobbyists and the way the media is skewed, I think that allowing someone to be president for their entire life is asinine. IMO, I think that the president should change every so often just to bring new ideas to the table... even if they are the best president

Reforms should take place to change that. Unknown politicians have less name ID and need lobbyists more. Also, no one is going to serve more than a few terms because of age.

Also, what if people don't want new ideas?

FDR's power was still severely checked during his presidency.
02:17 PM on 01/09/13 
User Info.
Jake Gyllenhaal
I'm sorry, T!
North Jersey
Male

This gives Presidents more time to do what they're doing, without having to spend the entire first term worrying about re-election

Their salary should only be $32,000 a year as well.
02:21 PM on 01/09/13 
User Info.
David87
That guy
Wilmington, DE
Male - 26 Years Old
Their salary should only be $32,000 a year as well.

I don't know if I'd go that low, but I think it could be lower than the 400K rate.

Congressmen and women certainly could/should be given lower pay than what they're currently getting.
02:29 PM on 01/09/13 
User Info.
FuckT41182
Slovakia
Male - 21 Years Old
It has to happen, so that George can return and continue his work.
04:58 PM on 01/09/13 
User Info.
Ollie McKraut
Registered Member
Male - 23 Years Old
I'm in favor of disallowing consecutive terms as well; though I didn't think of extending it to six which isn't a bad idea.
08:14 PM on 01/09/13 
User Info.
open mind
bastard on parade
No Avatar Selected
anchorage
Male
i could go for the idea of one 6 year term for presidents, but i would really like to see term limits for senators, and representatives.

our whole electoral system puts way to much emphasis on constant fundraising, so something clearly needs to be done.
08:25 PM on 01/09/13 
User Info.
Jake Gyllenhaal
I'm sorry, T!
North Jersey
Male
i could go for the idea of one 6 year term for presidents, but i would really like to see term limits for senators, and representatives.

our whole electoral system puts way to much emphasis on constant fundraising, so something clearly needs to be done.

Regarding Senators and Representatives, you always here on internet boards "don't vote for incumbents" or "end career politicians." But the fact of the matter is that the constituents who have the power to vote out the incumbents continue to vote for them because they bring in federal dollars for their districts/states.
08:25 PM on 01/09/13 
User Info.
OctoberOrigins
Jack
Omaha, NE
Male - 21 Years Old
I'm not in favor of repealing the 22nd Amendment. Fresh ideas are beneficial long-term, even if the country is lead backwards during some administrations.

I never used to be in favor of term limits for Congress members, but recent events have changed that. Every vote is a carefully calculated political move to prevent a primary challenge and to help them in the next general election. There's really little emphasis on voting for the greater good as nearly every member of congress is running a constant campaign.
08:31 PM on 01/09/13 
User Info.
David87
That guy
Wilmington, DE
Male - 26 Years Old

Maybe something like...10 years for a house of Rep, 18 years for a senator?

I'm a little leery of stricter term limits for congress just because that could drive out a lot of good ones as well.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos