Password

08:35 PM on 01/09/13 
User Info.
open mind
bastard on parade
No Avatar Selected
anchorage
Male
Regarding Senators and Representatives, you always here on internet boards "don't vote for incumbents" or "end career politicians." But the fact of the matter is that the constituents who have the power to vote out the incumbents continue to vote for them because they bring in federal dollars for their districts/states.

yeah, everybody hates congress, but they also tend to like their particular members of congress. which imo is just another reason for congressional term limits.
Maybe something like...10 years for a house of Rep, 18 years for a senator?

I'm a little leery of stricter term limits for congress just because that could drive out a lot of good ones as well.

12-16 years sounds good. i wouldn't want to go to far with term limits and totally eliminate seniority, and experience.
05:55 AM on 01/10/13 
User Info.
suicidesaints
A Million F@$% Diamonds
Dallas
Male - 31 Years Old
Reforms should take place to change that. Unknown politicians have less name ID and need lobbyists more. Also, no one is going to serve more than a few terms because of age.

Also, what if people don't want new ideas?

FDR's power was still severely checked during his presidency.

Reagan was 69 years old when he was elected. Someone could serve as president for MANY terms. I don't think age would stop that. You could essentially become president at age 35 and then stay president until you died if there were no term limits.

If people don't want new ideas, then they should elect a president that promises to continue doing things the way the last president had been doing things... we don't necessarily need to have the same president in office indefinitely just because we don't want new ideas.

I do agree that unknown politicians need lobbyists but like you said, reforms need to change the way lobbyists operate.

Should money be able to go to a campaign without any paper trail? Should unlimited amounts of money be allowed?

Currently lobbying is just a fancy word for bribery
08:57 AM on 01/10/13 
User Info.
Ryan Dennehy
Staff Member
Term lengths should be different.
11:30 AM on 01/10/13 
User Info.
perceptrons
[ ]
The campaigning issue could be mitigated by better campaign/campaign finance regulations.
07:09 PM on 01/10/13 
User Info.
NewAgeofHorus
Great Barrier Reef
Male - 22 Years Old
You either die the hero or live long enough to see yourself become the Villian.
07:15 PM on 01/10/13 
User Info.
David87
That guy
Wilmington, DE
Male - 26 Years Old
The President = Batman
10:14 PM on 01/10/13 
User Info.
lp670sv
Go Sabres
Buffalo, NY
Male - 22 Years Old
Lol did someone really just pull a batman line of their ass in this thread oh my god.

It's not going to be repealed but even if it was, that still doesn't make us a dictatorship. He still has to run every 4 years and if we keep electing him then it's still democracy.
06:33 AM on 01/11/13 
User Info.
CollectiveConfusion
New York NY
Male - 25 Years Old
Verified
You either die the hero or live long enough to see yourself become the Villian.

What about the billions of people who die without being either?
06:38 AM on 01/11/13 
User Info.
suicidesaints
A Million F@$% Diamonds
Dallas
Male - 31 Years Old
What about the billions of people who die without being either?

they must've not done anything with their lives
06:42 AM on 01/11/13 
User Info.
CollectiveConfusion
New York NY
Male - 25 Years Old
Verified
they must've not done anything with their lives

Debbie Downer
06:44 AM on 01/11/13 
User Info.
suicidesaints
A Million F@$% Diamonds
Dallas
Male - 31 Years Old

I'm not trying to be a Debbie Downer, I just want people to go out there and make something of themselves
06:28 PM on 01/11/13 
User Info.
TheDemosRock
What's a fuckass?
Philadelphia / Long...
Male - 21 Years Old
Repeal's wildly unlikely, but I don't see any reason to be particularly worried even if it were. The two-term precedent has been pretty consistent and anybody besides FDR, who was elected to a third term during wartime, has had their ass handed to them when running for a 3rd term.
06:35 PM on 01/11/13 
User Info.
Cereal_Killer
We suck, I know. SHUT UP!
Nu Yawk Shitty
Male - 25 Years Old
I would happily entertain the idea of removing term limits if (1) we also remove the ability to serve 2 consecutive terms in office and (2) it means we completely ditch the electoral college model.
09:48 PM on 01/11/13 
User Info.
MisfitsFan2013
No Avatar Selected
this will probably never happen bc this same congressman has tried since 2001 to get the 22nd amendment repealed, also it takes 2/3 of the US house and 2/3 of the US senate's approval, along with 3/4 of all the state governments' approval (at least 38 states) so it will probably never happen. Also this isn't the only bill introduced, there were about 200 introduced, one was to repeal obamacare, another to switch our currency back to the gold standard, another to repeal the 16th amendment and go to a flat sales tax
07:57 PM on 01/20/13 
User Info.
FueledByFrodo
@alexmnorthrup/@inorganicrecs
Newark, DE
Male - 20 Years Old
My idea for what term limits should be...

1. Presidents are elected to one 6 year term

2. Presidents are NOT eligible for re-election after their first 6 year term.

3. They CAN be re-elected to a second term, just can't be immediately following their first term.

This gives PResidents more time to do what tehy're doing, without having to spend the entire first term worrying about re-election

I have always loved the idea of one six year term, but I never thought of the bold and I like that addition.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos