Username
Password

06:31 AM on 01/09/13 
User Info.
Jake Gyllenhaal
There was a fish in the percolator
Twin Peaks
Male
I could have sworn a previous thread existed regarding this case but I could not find it. But yesterday, a federal judge ruled that a Texas school district can require students to wear locator chips while being on school property. The issue was first brought up in court because of the expulsion of sophomore Andrea Hernandez, who refused the chip citing violation of religious beliefs.

http://news.yahoo.com/texas-school-f...021126100.html

It's interesting to see that both liberal and conservative groups are opposed to the use of the chips.

Quote:
SAN ANTONIO (Reuters) - A public school district in Texas can require students to wear locator chips when they are on school property, a federal judge ruled on Tuesday in a case raising technology-driven privacy concerns among liberal and conservative groups alike. U.S. District Judge Orlando Garcia said the San Antonio Northside School District had the right to expel sophomore Andrea Hernandez, 15, from a magnet school at Jay High School, because she refused to wear the device, which is required of all students.
The judge refused the student's request to block the district from removing her from the school while the case works its way through the federal courts.
The American Civil Liberties Union is among the rights organizations to oppose the district's use of radio frequency identification, or RFID, technology.
"We don't want to see this kind of intrusive surveillance infrastructure gain inroads into our culture," ACLU senior policy analyst Jay Stanley said. "We should not be teaching our children to accept such an intrusive surveillance technology."
The district's RFID policy has also been criticized by conservatives, who call it an example of "big government" further monitoring individuals and eroding their liberties and privacy rights.
The Rutherford Institute, a conservative Virginia-based policy center that represented Hernandez in her federal court case, said the ruling violated the student's constitutional right to privacy, and vowed to appeal.
The school district - the fourth largest in Texas with about 100,000 students - is not attempting to track or regulate students' activities, or spy on them, district spokesman Pascual Gonzalez said. Northside is using the technology to locate students who are in the school building but not in the classroom when the morning bell rings, he said.
Texas law counts a student present for purposes of distributing state aid to education funds based on the number of pupils in the classroom at the start of the day. Northside said it was losing $1.7 million a year due to students loitering in the stairwells or chatting in the hallways.
The software works only within the walls of the school building, cannot track the movements of students, and does not allow students to be monitored by third parties, Gonzalez said.
The ruling gave Hernandez and her father, an outspoken opponent of the use of RFID technology, until the start of the spring semester later this month to decide whether to accept district policy and remain at the magnet school or return to her home campus, where RFID chips are not required.
08:46 PM on 01/10/13 
User Info.
Jake Gyllenhaal
Twin Peaks
Male
Only in Texas where liberal darkness reigns supreme. I'm sure Governor Rick Perry (whom I am unaware of his political affiliation) probably supports this Big Brother intrusion.
01:56 PM on 01/11/13 
User Info.
Jake Gyllenhaal
Twin Peaks
Male
profs take roll in college?

Some do for 15-student classes. But I've taken classes with 250 students.
06:23 AM on 07/21/13 
User Info.
Jake Gyllenhaal
Twin Peaks
Male
I received a C+ one semester in my Italian Cinema class, yet the work I did actually got me an A.

I received a C+ because I missed somewhere between 6-9 classes. The format of the class was simple... we watched an Italian film every other week, and on class days in between those movies we discussed the films. I never showed up to the nights where we would watch the films because I used to like watching them on my own. I did all the work, which included a 10-page paper written in Italian and an oral presentation in Italian about our favorite Neorealism films, plus two or three exams.

My work earned me an A. My absences dropped me down to a C+. I went to her after the semester and complained and she told me I should have attended class more often. Even after showing her that my work was better than half the kids who did show up, she still didn't care at all. It wasn't like a lecture class where I was missing vital lectures. I was still watching the films and doing the work about them. It still pisses me off to this day. Then again, I get the last laugh... because the next semester, her work visa expired and she was deported back to Italy.

And that's one example of why sometimes college is a great big pile of bullshit. On my transcript, it says C+... and yet I had a perfect semester in the class and did fantastic work. But because I physically didn't show up to the building for some classes, my grade was dropped.

At the beginning of the semester, did your professor state that class attendance will go towards your grade? If so, then that is her grading policy and you were obligated to attend those classes. If you knew that not going to class on those days affected your grade, then you shouldn't complain.
11:33 AM on 07/21/13 
User Info.
Jake Gyllenhaal
Twin Peaks
Male
No, she didn't and that's why I was mad. She never even called out attendance at the beginning of class. She did it silently so I never even knew I would be subjected to that. I would have just went in that case.

Oh okay, so you have a right to be angry about that.
11:49 AM on 07/30/13 
User Info.
Jake Gyllenhaal
Twin Peaks
Male
http://nationalreport.net/rfid-chip-...bamacare-plan/

"Police officers, military, even garbage men will all be required to have the RFID chip by the end of next month or face termination from their jobs."

the fuck.

EDIT: I have no idea how legitimate this news site is, but if this is true......dear lord.

Quote:
*DISCLAIMER: The National Report is an online portal for "citizen journalists". The views expressed by writers on this site are theirs alone and are not reflective of the fine journalistic and editorial integrity of National Report. Advice given is NOT to be construed as professional. If you are in need of professional help, please consult a professional. National Report is not intended for children under the age of 18.

It's a user-generated blog. Here's another article posted on The National Report

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Submit News
CONNECT
Forums
Contests
RSS
Mobile Version
Banners, Flyers, Widgets