Username
Password

10:06 PM on 01/10/13 
User Info.
jawstheme
I'm not here. This isn't happening.
Pennsylvania
Male
I like how she refused to wear the chip, not because it extremely violates privacy rights and degrades human beings to animal status, but for religious beliefs. I don't think the bible says "thou shalt not where locator chips."

Probably for both reasons but ok.
10:42 PM on 01/10/13 
User Info.
TK
Abstract Thinker
Oklahoma
Male - 24 Years Old
I like how she refused to wear the chip, not because it extremely violates privacy rights and degrades human beings to animal status, but for religious beliefs. I don't think the bible says "thou shalt not where locator chips."

She could be associating the chip with the mark of the beast...although the much more likely option is that "religious beliefs" is the easiest scapegoat.
10:45 PM on 01/10/13 
User Info.
lp670sv
Go Sabres
Buffalo, NY
Male - 22 Years Old
She could be associating the chip with the mark of the beast...although the much more likely option is that "religious beliefs" is the easiest scapegoat.
I understand that, I just think it's silly that that is the go to objection, not just for this but for a lot of things people don't like. (Her not liking this is clearly justified, don't get me wrong.) Think vaccine's cause autism? Refuse them because of religious beliefs. Don't want to do jury duty? Religious beliefs.
10:12 AM on 01/11/13 
User Info.
suicidalmoose
Lindsay let me kiss your forehead!
Lisboa, Portugal
Male - 27 Years Old
what an idiotic way to waste a lot of money
11:18 AM on 01/11/13 
User Info.
dylanagibson
The Littlest Things
STJ MO
Male - 23 Years Old
Yeah, this was on Reddit a few days ago. I don't get the problem? We have something similar at my college to check student in to bigger lecture sized classes so it saves time on roll call. It says they can't pinpoint exact locations or track movements, so it's basically just a check in, not some Orwellian surveillance chip. And the district offered her a badge without the chip in it and they still refused because her and her dad said that it would be considered an "endorsement" of the mark of the beast from the Bible. Bullshit.
11:55 AM on 01/11/13 
User Info.
jawstheme
Pennsylvania
Male
Is it really that difficult to take roll? Or a better question should be is it really necessary to take roll?
12:27 PM on 01/11/13 
User Info.
David87
That guy
Delaware
Male
Is it really that difficult to take roll? Or a better question should be is it really necessary to take roll?

In school? yes.
12:30 PM on 01/11/13 
User Info.
jawstheme
Pennsylvania
Male

Yes what? Difficult or necessary? Keep in mind he was talking about college.
12:37 PM on 01/11/13 
User Info.
dylanagibson
The Littlest Things
STJ MO
Male - 23 Years Old
In a big lecture class with anywhere from 50-100 students, yeah, it's difficult and time consuming. Most Instructors do take roll because attendance is a part of the overall grade, even if it's only around 5%.

But in the case of the school in the article, their funding is based on attendance, so when students aren't checked into their classes, the school loses funding, that's teachers and textbooks that go away because of it. And the school can make sure that students are in their class rooms and can be punished if they aren't.

Edit: and just for clarification, I'm not 100% sold on the idea of student tracking, but it makes sense to help the school get the funding it needs.
12:39 PM on 01/11/13 
User Info.
jawstheme
Pennsylvania
Male
I can see for a high school for many reasons, but I don't see the necessity for roll call in college. And the 50-100 students per class problem typically isn't an issue in high school.
12:41 PM on 01/11/13 
User Info.
dylanagibson
The Littlest Things
STJ MO
Male - 23 Years Old
I never said it was necessary or that it's a problem shared with high schools. I was just saying their RDIF badges are similar to our "Clickers" we use at my college.
12:44 PM on 01/11/13 
User Info.
jawstheme
Pennsylvania
Male
Well in order to introduce something that mandatorily "tracks" people in any way, given the culture of privacy in our country, I feel that it should serve some necessary purposes that couldn't be served by other means.
01:52 PM on 01/11/13 
User Info.
sjb2k1
4-3, the kyle orton show
the bull city
Female - 31 Years Old
profs take roll in college?
01:56 PM on 01/11/13 
User Info.
Jake Gyllenhaal
An alligator with sunglasses?
Connecticut
Male
profs take roll in college?

Some do for 15-student classes. But I've taken classes with 250 students.
01:58 PM on 01/11/13 
User Info.
CollectiveConfusion
New York NY
Male - 25 Years Old
Verified
I had classes that took attendance in college, only because attendance was worth a % of your grade, though. The professors didn't care if you came or not.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos