Username
Password

03:11 PM on 01/11/13 
User Info.
sjb2k1
8-6, double check my wang
the bull city
Female - 31 Years Old
Some do for 15-student classes. But I've taken classes with 250 students.
i'm trying to go back to the dark ages to remember...but all i can come up with is my european history class that i skipped 8 times and still passed and my T/TH WWII class senior year where i straight up stopped going on thursdays because i had college newspaper stuff to deal with
03:38 PM on 01/11/13 
User Info.
jawstheme
I'm not here. This isn't happening.
Pennsylvania
Male
I had classes that took attendance in college, only because attendance was worth a % of your grade, though. The professors didn't care if you came or not.

By making attendance a percentage of your grade doesn't it prove that they do in fact care?
08:00 PM on 01/11/13 
User Info.
open mind
bastard on parade
No Avatar Selected
anchorage
Male
i think many teachers/schools routinely get away with violations of their students rights that are just as, if not more serious then this. that said, although i can imagine many arguments that sound reasonable in favor of on campus student tracking i'm not in favor of this sort of tracking.
07:26 AM on 01/14/13 
User Info.
CollectiveConfusion
New York NY
Male - 25 Years Old
Verified
By making attendance a percentage of your grade doesn't it prove that they do in fact care?

Yeah, in that sense, but it's not like they'd hassle you if you didn't show up, you know what I mean? The university itself made a big deal about attendance so making it a part of your grade was the easiest way for the professors to appease the school AND not care haha.
05:40 PM on 07/19/13 
User Info.
wecameaswaffles
youtube.com/hvrocker2
UML c.o. Engineering
Female - 18 Years Old
It's much easier to have staff keep an eye on students vs spending money on chips when they can use that money for more important shit like up to date books and resources. I feel as if schools these days are too concerned with tracking our every move, whether it be on Twitter, Facebook, or what have you. The focus on our actual education seems to be taking the back seat and our privacy is being blatantly invaded.
12:49 AM on 07/21/13 
User Info.
Broken Parachute
arte et labore
Staten Island, NY
Male - 24 Years Old
I received a C+ one semester in my Italian Cinema class, yet the work I did actually got me an A.

I received a C+ because I missed somewhere between 6-9 classes. The format of the class was simple... we watched an Italian film every other week, and on class days in between those movies we discussed the films. I never showed up to the nights where we would watch the films because I used to like watching them on my own. I did all the work, which included a 10-page paper written in Italian and an oral presentation in Italian about our favorite Neorealism films, plus two or three exams.

My work earned me an A. My absences dropped me down to a C+. I went to her after the semester and complained and she told me I should have attended class more often. Even after showing her that my work was better than half the kids who did show up, she still didn't care at all. It wasn't like a lecture class where I was missing vital lectures. I was still watching the films and doing the work about them. It still pisses me off to this day. Then again, I get the last laugh... because the next semester, her work visa expired and she was deported back to Italy.

And that's one example of why sometimes college is a great big pile of bullshit. On my transcript, it says C+... and yet I had a perfect semester in the class and did fantastic work. But because I physically didn't show up to the building for some classes, my grade was dropped.
07:23 AM on 07/21/13 
User Info.
Jake Gyllenhaal
Sit on Santa's lap
Connecticut
Male
I received a C+ one semester in my Italian Cinema class, yet the work I did actually got me an A.

I received a C+ because I missed somewhere between 6-9 classes. The format of the class was simple... we watched an Italian film every other week, and on class days in between those movies we discussed the films. I never showed up to the nights where we would watch the films because I used to like watching them on my own. I did all the work, which included a 10-page paper written in Italian and an oral presentation in Italian about our favorite Neorealism films, plus two or three exams.

My work earned me an A. My absences dropped me down to a C+. I went to her after the semester and complained and she told me I should have attended class more often. Even after showing her that my work was better than half the kids who did show up, she still didn't care at all. It wasn't like a lecture class where I was missing vital lectures. I was still watching the films and doing the work about them. It still pisses me off to this day. Then again, I get the last laugh... because the next semester, her work visa expired and she was deported back to Italy.

And that's one example of why sometimes college is a great big pile of bullshit. On my transcript, it says C+... and yet I had a perfect semester in the class and did fantastic work. But because I physically didn't show up to the building for some classes, my grade was dropped.

At the beginning of the semester, did your professor state that class attendance will go towards your grade? If so, then that is her grading policy and you were obligated to attend those classes. If you knew that not going to class on those days affected your grade, then you shouldn't complain.
10:22 AM on 07/21/13 
User Info.
Broken Parachute
arte et labore
Staten Island, NY
Male - 24 Years Old
At the beginning of the semester, did your professor state that class attendance will go towards your grade? If so, then that is her grading policy and you were obligated to attend those classes. If you knew that not going to class on those days affected your grade, then you shouldn't complain.
No, she didn't and that's why I was mad. She never even called out attendance at the beginning of class. She did it silently so I never even knew I would be subjected to that. I would have just went in that case.
12:33 PM on 07/21/13 
User Info.
Jake Gyllenhaal
Sit on Santa's lap
Connecticut
Male
No, she didn't and that's why I was mad. She never even called out attendance at the beginning of class. She did it silently so I never even knew I would be subjected to that. I would have just went in that case.

Oh okay, so you have a right to be angry about that.
11:59 AM on 07/22/13 
User Info.
Ben09
Registered Member
The Woodlands, TX
Male
Read the article and saw that it was talking about San Antonio.

Only in Texas where liberal darkness reigns supreme. I'm sure Governor Rick Perry (whom I am unaware of his political affiliation) probably supports this Big Brother intrusion.

Read this part and then just laughed because of who runs San Antonio.
11:53 AM on 07/24/13 
User Info.
agmp4ever
No Avatar Selected
I read they're going to use drones to catch speeders.
12:38 PM on 07/30/13 
User Info.
DarthMaul
http://nationalreport.net/rfid-chip-...bamacare-plan/

"Police officers, military, even garbage men will all be required to have the RFID chip by the end of next month or face termination from their jobs."

the fuck.

EDIT: I have no idea how legitimate this news site is, but if this is true......dear lord.
12:49 PM on 07/30/13 
User Info.
Jake Gyllenhaal
Sit on Santa's lap
Connecticut
Male
http://nationalreport.net/rfid-chip-...bamacare-plan/

"Police officers, military, even garbage men will all be required to have the RFID chip by the end of next month or face termination from their jobs."

the fuck.

EDIT: I have no idea how legitimate this news site is, but if this is true......dear lord.

Quote:
*DISCLAIMER: The National Report is an online portal for "citizen journalists". The views expressed by writers on this site are theirs alone and are not reflective of the fine journalistic and editorial integrity of National Report. Advice given is NOT to be construed as professional. If you are in need of professional help, please consult a professional. National Report is not intended for children under the age of 18.

It's a user-generated blog. Here's another article posted on The National Report
12:53 PM on 07/30/13 
User Info.
DarthMaul

ahh, well that explains it.
I was just surfing 'rfid chip' stuff on google and came across it.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos