Keagan Ilvonen
@KeaganIlvonen
User Info.
Glad you agree with me about fun.
10:51 AM on 01/10/13
Keagan Ilvonen
@KeaganIlvonen
User Info.
I think I largely agree with your list, but I would trade Gym Class Heroes for Yellowcard. I'm sure I'm biased toward YC, but I think the success of Ocean Avenue tops GCH's success.
Mainstream success? Not a chance.
10:52 AM on 01/10/13
Keagan Ilvonen
@KeaganIlvonen
User Info.
5 / 10 Fueled by Ramen (6 if you count Jimmy Eat World)... wow
I'm writing my review for the new 21 Pilots record and FBR's power as a label is one of my starting points haha.
10:55 AM on 01/10/13
Keagan Ilvonen
@KeaganIlvonen
User Info.
I love this discussion, but I don't really get what the grouping is. This "scene" is basically like anything we like. How do we define the list?
pop-punk/emo/alt scene that a lot of us came from.
10:56 AM on 01/10/13
Keagan Ilvonen
@KeaganIlvonen
User Info.
I'd say Blink would be #1. Simply for the fact whenever they are mentioned on the site it blows up the threads.

I would also have to add All Time Low to that list. Prolly around #5-6
All Time Low are big in terms of the scene but they haven't broke into mainstream.
10:58 AM on 01/10/13
Keagan Ilvonen
@KeaganIlvonen
User Info.
Ocean avenue had a lot mainstream success. At least where i grew up in Indianapolis.
Ocean Avenue did break into the mainstream but that was the band's only real time. As opposed to GCH who are always on top 40 and have multiple hit singles along with Travie's solo career.
10:59 AM on 01/10/13
Keagan Ilvonen
@KeaganIlvonen
User Info.
More relevant to the scene than Fun.
I don't think so. The Format is just a revered as Midtown. They just cater to two different crowds.
11:01 AM on 01/10/13
Keagan Ilvonen
@KeaganIlvonen
User Info.
Their insane success is hard to debate right now. They're just massive. Tours, album is still selling 24k a week, and Nate's finally getting the credit for the songwriter he's always been.
Seriously. I can't think of another band that's on an indie label that has had ANY kind of breakout like they have. "We Are Young" is easily the biggest single a band from this scene has seen since maybe "Thnks Fr Th Mmrs."
11:04 AM on 01/10/13
Keagan Ilvonen
@KeaganIlvonen
User Info.
Best part about fun. blowing up is Nate doesn't have to worry about a job anymore. He'll be able to get songwriting gigs until the day he dies.
11:10 AM on 01/10/13
Keagan Ilvonen
@KeaganIlvonen
User Info.
"Thnks fr th Mmrs" was not a breakout single. "Sugar, We're Going Down" was FOB's breakout single.

Should Cobra Starship count in here somewhere? We're also talking about mostly top 40 radio. What about a band like Avenged Sevenfold?
I wasn't really talking terms of breakout, just single in general. For some reason I thought "Thnks" did better as a single but that's not the case. It was close but "Sugar" did better.
11:12 AM on 01/10/13
Keagan Ilvonen
@KeaganIlvonen
User Info.
Yeah it's not even close. I think it's the biggest single we've ever seen, tbh. I'd have to look (memory doesn't work without more coffee), but has any other band on this list had the number one song in the country? Did Green Day ever do it?
"Boulevard of Broken Dreams" hit #2, that seems to be the closest I can find.
11:18 AM on 01/10/13
Keagan Ilvonen
@KeaganIlvonen
User Info.
I think Jimmy Eat World is definitely a little bit lower, however. A few years back I think they could be that high, but now I don't really agree.
During the release of Bleed American and Futures, I'd say it would have been hard to find a bigger alternative rock band. For that alone they deserve to be in the top 5. They just have been at it so long I feel like they don't get looked at as a "big" band anymore.
11:21 AM on 01/10/13
Keagan Ilvonen
@KeaganIlvonen
User Info.
One thing's for sure: i think it's hard to imagine which band will be the next one to make the cross towards the other side.
Twenty One Pilots. Won't have fun. sized success but more or less GCH type response.
11:28 AM on 01/10/13
Keagan Ilvonen
@KeaganIlvonen
User Info.
Serious? There were a ton of bands that were bigger than Jimmy at that time. Red Hot Chili Peppers, System of a Down, Foo Fighters, Linkin Park, Staind, and Green Day all had hits at that time and are all bigger bands than Jimmy Eat World (with the possible exception of Staind, though Staind has had more modern rock chart success I believe).

Jimmy was probably the hot new alternative band at the time, but there were always bigger bands than Jimmy.
I'm talking about in terms of a band breaking out from this scene. Of course there were bigger bands, but you've also named some of the biggest bands in the past 20 years in that list.
11:29 AM on 01/10/13
Keagan Ilvonen
@KeaganIlvonen
User Info.
Fun. are the Plain White T's of 2012. Overplayed radio songs, grammy nominations, soccer moms' favorite song. No one will care about this band 2 years from now.
hahahahahahahaha wow.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version