All Posts by User
Displaying user's 5 posts.
10:48 AM on 01/10/13
Jack Appleby
___
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Pretty much agree.
I'd say every band's rank in this list is likely set, with the exception of Fun. and Paramore.
I'm betting Fun. has the power to be Top 3, if not #1, by the end of this all.
And like you said, new Paramore is a huge test for them and will define their longevity.

I have a hard time with Gym Class Heroes above Panic!, and while they came from our scene (or some version of it), the generational gap between Green Day and the others listed makes them an oddball. I think I'd personally rank Blink first.
10:57 AM on 01/10/13
Jack Appleby
___
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
AFI should make this discussion.

Yellowcard isn't top ten, but they're a contender on a larger list. Same with Dashboard Confessional. Taking Back Sunday to some degree.

fun. may not even be in the running for to ten a few years later, they haven't been a "big" band for even 12 months yet so it's projection to an extent.

Anberlin and Dropkick Murphys had some huge singles.

Death Cab for Cutie plays big venues. Bright Eyes.

Just throwing out names to consider for a various lists of this type.
TBS would definitely be on my list, around 6 or 7. Yellowcard would make my cut too. My brain knows that Green Day is #1 followed by Blink, but my heart cannot put Green Day above Blink-182 ever.

Ahh, some very important names here. AFI headlined Bamboozle, I believe - that's a pretty huge deal.

And what about Jack's Mannequin?

Definitely think Anberlin deserves a Top 10 slot - They had a #1 Rock Single.
11:00 AM on 01/10/13
Jack Appleby
___
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Also, I feel like I don't have a good gauge on just how big MCR was (is?)

Would you guys say MCR's success over their 2-3 biggest albums was more monumental than Panic! At The Disco's two biggest albums? Does their longevity catapult them that far ahead of Panic?
11:06 AM on 01/10/13
Jack Appleby
___
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Black Parade felt (subjectively) like one of the biggest albums of the entire year it came out.
Yeah, and "Helena" was just a monster single.

So Danger Days or Vices & Virtues in terms of sales, influence, and all those other things we judge "success" by?
11:10 AM on 01/10/13
Jack Appleby
___
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Anberlin had that monster single, I agree. But, they really aren't "mainstream". Not a lot of name recognition beyond the "scene", and that single was short lived.

One big single doesn't necessarily equal mainstream success.
They've now had several big songs, played major shows.

And one thing I don't think anyone on this list can say: they opened for The Smashing Pumpkins, one of the biggest crowds I've been a part of.
Options
Related News Stories

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests