Password

Comments: Page 2
Displaying posts 15 - 30 of 357
11:52 AM on 01/10/13
Keagan Ilvonen
@KeaganIlvonen
User Info.
5 / 10 Fueled by Ramen (6 if you count Jimmy Eat World)... wow
I'm writing my review for the new 21 Pilots record and FBR's power as a label is one of my starting points haha.
11:52 AM on 01/10/13
fenderstrat383
Kenneth Doolittle
User Info.
I dont know if Taking Back Sunday is considered mainstream by you standards, but their was a point where "Louder Now" was huge and "MakeDamnSure" was everywhere. I think they should be in the top 10 especially if Panic at The Disco is on this list.

TBS would definitely be on my list, around 6 or 7. Yellowcard would make my cut too. My brain knows that Green Day is #1 followed by Blink, but my heart cannot put Green Day above Blink-182 ever.
11:53 AM on 01/10/13
anamericangod
User Info.
I don't think Fun. deserves that high of a placement. I don't really view them as a scene band, really. Sure, they have roots with older bands in this scene, but they're pretty much a pop act. They've had a couple super catchy songs that went mainstream.

It is still very early in their life as a band, and they don't come close to bands like Jimmy Eat World and Fall Out Boy in regards to scene relevancy. It'll take more than having a big single that sold well on iTunes and got used in some commercials to convince me they deserve to be on this list.
11:54 AM on 01/10/13
Jason Tate
User Info.
5 / 10 Fueled by Ramen (6 if you count Jimmy Eat World)... wow
6 if you count JEW.

http://fueledbyramen.com/bands/index.php?id=23

Damn, your edit got me!

Haha.

Yellowcard is flirting with it too:

http://fueledbyramen.com/bands/index.php?id=15
Boucher187
Jonathan "Mox" Moxon
User Info.
I'd say Blink would be #1. Simply for the fact whenever they are mentioned on the site it blows up the threads.

I would also have to add All Time Low to that list. Prolly around #5-6
OctoberOrigins
Jack
User Info.
I'd put Yellowcard instead of Gym Class Heroes, but besides that I agree with the list.
11:55 AM on 01/10/13
Keagan Ilvonen
@KeaganIlvonen
User Info.
I love this discussion, but I don't really get what the grouping is. This "scene" is basically like anything we like. How do we define the list?
pop-punk/emo/alt scene that a lot of us came from.
punkcrap
a stupid fuck with brilliant luck.
User Info.
Simple Plan, maybe? They sure became a huge mainstream success, and drank from the pop-punk/warped tour scene fountain back in the day.
f00te
Tell it like a comeback story
User Info.
Mainstream success? Not a chance.

Ocean avenue had a lot mainstream success. At least where i grew up in Indianapolis.
11:56 AM on 01/10/13
Keagan Ilvonen
@KeaganIlvonen
User Info.
I'd say Blink would be #1. Simply for the fact whenever they are mentioned on the site it blows up the threads.

I would also have to add All Time Low to that list. Prolly around #5-6
All Time Low are big in terms of the scene but they haven't broke into mainstream.
Jason Tate
User Info.
Glad you agree with me about fun.

Their insane success is hard to debate right now. They're just massive. Tours, album is still selling 24k a week, and Nate's finally getting the credit for the songwriter he's always been.
ACA
Next Show: Balance&Composure 12/27
User Info.

Wrong measurement.
11:57 AM on 01/10/13
kismet
Occasionally a fan girl
User Info.
I know not many people are still fans of them on this site, but Cobra Starship could be considered.
Jason Tate
User Info.
I would have found a way to put NFG on the list. Been rocking for what, 20 years(?) and they still have yet to put out a bad album, IMO. And they have had a few mainstream hits too.

I'd say "My Friends Over You" is their biggest hit? Maybe? And it never felt like it quite got the same mainstream explosion as most of the other bands' "huge" single did.
Jack Appleby
___
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
AFI should make this discussion.

Yellowcard isn't top ten, but they're a contender on a larger list. Same with Dashboard Confessional. Taking Back Sunday to some degree.

fun. may not even be in the running for to ten a few years later, they haven't been a "big" band for even 12 months yet so it's projection to an extent.

Anberlin and Dropkick Murphys had some huge singles.

Death Cab for Cutie plays big venues. Bright Eyes.

Just throwing out names to consider for a various lists of this type.
TBS would definitely be on my list, around 6 or 7. Yellowcard would make my cut too. My brain knows that Green Day is #1 followed by Blink, but my heart cannot put Green Day above Blink-182 ever.

Ahh, some very important names here. AFI headlined Bamboozle, I believe - that's a pretty huge deal.

And what about Jack's Mannequin?

Definitely think Anberlin deserves a Top 10 slot - They had a #1 Rock Single.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos