AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Comments: Page 3
Displaying posts 30 - 45 of 371
10:58 AM on 01/10/13
anamericangod
User Info.
I know not many people are still fans of them on this site, but Cobra Starship could be considered.
More relevant to the scene than Fun.
10:58 AM on 01/10/13
Keagan Ilvonen
@KeaganIlvonen
User Info.
Ocean avenue had a lot mainstream success. At least where i grew up in Indianapolis.
Ocean Avenue did break into the mainstream but that was the band's only real time. As opposed to GCH who are always on top 40 and have multiple hit singles along with Travie's solo career.
10:59 AM on 01/10/13
jasonjeffrey961
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
green day headlines stadium gigs. I agree with this list 100 percent. Also I remember back in about 2005 they would play "sugar were goin Down" or "holiday" at school dances in middle school and everyone would go nuts.
10:59 AM on 01/10/13
Keagan Ilvonen
@KeaganIlvonen
User Info.
More relevant to the scene than Fun.
I don't think so. The Format is just a revered as Midtown. They just cater to two different crowds.
11:00 AM on 01/10/13
anamericangod
User Info.
Good Charlotte was pretty big.
Jason Tate
User Info.
Ocean avenue had a lot mainstream success. At least where i grew up in Indianapolis.

Yeah, that album and single was giiiiiiant. And even L&S went gold.
Jack Appleby
___
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Also, I feel like I don't have a good gauge on just how big MCR was (is?)

Would you guys say MCR's success over their 2-3 biggest albums was more monumental than Panic! At The Disco's two biggest albums? Does their longevity catapult them that far ahead of Panic?
Jason Tate
User Info.
I know not many people are still fans of them on this site, but Cobra Starship could be considered.

I would have to begrudgingly agree .... I'll stick 'um at 15 because I'm bitter.
11:01 AM on 01/10/13
Keagan Ilvonen
@KeaganIlvonen
User Info.
Their insane success is hard to debate right now. They're just massive. Tours, album is still selling 24k a week, and Nate's finally getting the credit for the songwriter he's always been.
Seriously. I can't think of another band that's on an indie label that has had ANY kind of breakout like they have. "We Are Young" is easily the biggest single a band from this scene has seen since maybe "Thnks Fr Th Mmrs."
11:02 AM on 01/10/13
Jason Tate
User Info.
Ahh, some very important names here. AFI headlined Bamboozle, I believe - that's a pretty huge deal.

And what about Jack's Mannequin?

Definitely think Anberlin deserves a Top 10 slot - They had a #1 Rock Single.
AFI was quite big after STS ... The Used for a brief moment as well. I never felt like either really completely crossed over to the point where your mom would know about them though.
11:03 AM on 01/10/13
anamericangod
User Info.
I don't think so. The Format is just a revered as Midtown. They just cater to two different crowds.
Gonna disagree with you there. The Format has a pretty passionate fanbase, but I wouldn't put them in the same echelon as Midtown. A notch or two below them.
Anton Djamoos
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
No denying that Fun. has been the biggest crossover in years. They're on top of the world right now. Really solid list. Maybe Rise Against if you'd count their beginnings as closely tied with the 'scene'.
Rise Against should definitely be on this list, above Panic and GCH. I would even put Good Charlotte on the list right below Rise Against there because they were massive for a good long while.
Jason Tate
User Info.

Would you guys say MCR's success over their 2-3 biggest albums was more monumental than Panic! At The Disco's two biggest albums? Does their longevity catapult them that far ahead of Panic?

Black Parade felt (subjectively) like one of the biggest albums of the entire year it came out.
jasonjeffrey961
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Also..would anyone consider the offspring? They've had some hits.
11:04 AM on 01/10/13
alexa_ATL
Pretty eyed, pirate smile
User Info.

I didn't have a huge gauge on it either until I saw them with Blink on the Honda Civic Tour.

I feel like they were big for a little bit then slipped backwards a tad while retaining a huge core base of fans. I rarely hear them on the radio but their success with "I'm not Okay" and "Helena' definitely gave them visibility for more fans who stuck with them when they kind of slipped away from the mainstream. I feel like they have more of a huge following than huge mainstream success, I guess.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos