Basketcase
User Info.
Tarantino, Leo, and Affleck all got screwed

fuck the Oscars
04:06 PM on 01/10/13
.dot
behance.net/jordanhaenlein
User Info.
A movie with Chris Tucker has a shot at an Oscar. Awesome, haha.
04:15 PM on 01/10/13
theHECKLER
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
No hobbit, no care
04:36 PM on 01/10/13
drewbaldy
phanyes1 doesn't suck
User Info.
Wow, and once again QT gets snubbed by the oscars.
04:39 PM on 01/10/13
Drew Beringer
Senior Editor - @drewberinger - Locked Groove
User Info.
The nominees for Best Picture are bad. The only reason movies like LINCOLN, LES MISERABLES, SILVER LININGS, BEASTS OF THE SOUTHERN WILD made it because they hit all the Oscar bait checkmarks without actually being that great of movies. movies like MAGIC MIKE, LOOPER, and MOONRISE KINGDOM off the top of my head were far more interesting and original than those choices (not saying they should have been nominated for Best Picture either, but they'll be more memorable than the ones I mentioned above).

It's just that the Oscars and the Academy are so boring and so predictable. The same old white men making the choices, never taking risks, so these studios and producers and directors know exactly what they need to do to hit all the checkmarks and get nominated without actually putting too much thought and effort in what they are creating.

real talk MAGIC MIKE is way better than the vast majority of the movies nominated for Best Picture in 2012.
04:41 PM on 01/10/13
Drew Beringer
User Info.
Bad thread bad choices want Django to win but it wont. Master will most likely get snubbed for Oscar bait, which is a shame

But in all reality I don't give a shit about the Oscars except that the general public won't know some of the best films of the year
the funny thing is that LINCOLN is the most Oscar-baiting movie out there
04:41 PM on 01/10/13
chcougar1
User Info.
The nominees for Best Picture are bad. The only reason movies like LINCOLN, LES MISERABLES, SILVER LININGS, BEASTS OF THE SOUTHERN WILD made it because they hit all the Oscar bait checkmarks without actually being that great of movies. movies like MAGIC MIKE, LOOPER, and MOONRISE KINGDOM off the top of my head were far more interesting and original than those choices (not saying they should have been nominated for Best Picture either, but they'll be more memorable than the ones I mentioned above).

It's just that the Oscars and the Academy are so boring and so predictable. The same old white men making the choices, never taking risks, so these studios and producers and directors know exactly what they need to do to hit all the checkmarks and get nominated without actually putting too much thought and effort in what they are creating.

real talk MAGIC MIKE is way better than the vast majority of the movies nominated for Best Picture in 2012.

Someone hacked your account didn't they? At least with all of that magic Mike talk.
04:43 PM on 01/10/13
Drew Beringer
User Info.
no they didn't. MAGIC MIKE is a fucking great movie. it's a nuanced, somber story about trying to find your place in the modern economy, but all people think about it is dicks butts and abs.
04:48 PM on 01/10/13
chcougar1
User Info.
no they didn't. MAGIC MIKE is a fucking great movie. it's a nuanced, somber story about trying to find your place in the modern economy, but all people think about it is dicks butts and abs.

Well that will teach me to judge a book (film) by its cover. This better not be a trick to get me to give in to watching that movie with my girlfriend.
05:15 PM on 01/10/13
sammyboy516
User Info.

Silver Linings and Les Mis were both fantastic movies, in my opinion of course. Both deserve the attention they're getting.
06:17 PM on 01/10/13
mrnegativezero
You wanted to set the world on fire
User Info.
I've seen none of the nominations. Weird.
06:25 PM on 01/10/13
toothpaste
User Info.
You check out silver linings play book? Pretty well done movie. Other than that I agree with ya

10:07 PM on 01/10/13
Keele
Registered Member
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
It always feels like movies released before October stand no chance.

I'd have to agree about the whole predictability of these awards shows. It seems like TV series are creating more dynamic characters now then film, and you really need to do something great to get an Oscar nod (like Heath Ledger in The Dark Knight a few years ago). I guess art is hard to judge and its difficult to compare something like Django to Silver Linings to Les Miserables to Lawless, especially since the people making the decisions are people generally playing favourites to begin with. A good movie is a good movie. It's just hard to get people to agree what qualifies as 'good'.
11:50 PM on 01/10/13
grimis16
User Info.
Looks like I need to see "Silver Linings Playbook" ...
Exactly what I thought after looking these over.
12:50 AM on 01/11/13
centennial.
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
the master & moonrise kingdom should replace life of pi & les miz for best pic

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT