AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

09:28 AM on 01/16/13 
User Info.
Ryan Dennehy
Staff Member
Yeah, I dunno. Seems pretty safe.

Except for the assault weapons/high capacity ban, which I expect there to be an absolute uproar over.
09:34 AM on 01/16/13 
User Info.
Ryan Dennehy
Staff Member
There isn't a single reason in the world why someone needs an assault weapon. Absolutely none.

Oh I agree. But seeing the way that gun advocates have been gearing up, I can't imagine it going over well with them. I also expect to hear more cries of tyranny because of the executive orders.
09:53 AM on 01/16/13 
User Info.
Ryan Dennehy
Staff Member
Too busy to look at the moment -- does this remove the "gun show" loophole?

Yep
09:54 AM on 01/16/13 
User Info.
Ryan Dennehy
Staff Member
Pretty sure most cops do not carry what would be considered assault weapons. Think those are usually left to special forces.
10:00 AM on 01/16/13 
User Info.
Ryan Dennehy
Staff Member
I believe they are kept in the trunk of their cruisers.

Not a national policy. They're also there as a last resort - hence why they're in the trunk. An assault weapon isn't necessary or recommended to diffuse the overwhelming majority of situations.
11:10 AM on 01/16/13 
User Info.
Ryan Dennehy
Staff Member
Perhaps I'm wrong but I'm sure most squad cars out there in the US have an AR-15.

I just googled it on my phone really quickly so that's entirely possible. What Isaw seemed to suggest that some places don't, or didn't, at least.
12:07 PM on 01/16/13 
User Info.
Ryan Dennehy
Staff Member
I think we can all agree the goal shouldn't be to stop murders from gun-related violence. The goal is to stop murders. Looking at death from gun-related violence is completely irrelevant. If states with stricter gun control laws have fewer murders per capita than others, then you have a point. Otherwise, killers and still killing and just using different tools for the job.

California has a murder rate of 6.7, and has arguably the strongest gun control laws in the country before NYs new bill.

Louisiana
has some of the weakest and has a rate of 12.3.

Gun availability makes it easier for people to act on rash impulses and kill with much greater ease. I can be mad and hit you with a baseball bat, but you're still far more likely to survive than if I shot you.
12:20 PM on 01/16/13 
User Info.
Ryan Dennehy
Staff Member
I would think theres some kind of socialization argument to be made for the way video games effect kids. I don't think it "teaches" you anything, but it's no different from other forms of media in imparting social cues to kids.
02:13 PM on 01/16/13 
User Info.
Ryan Dennehy
Staff Member
So you think its worthwhile to ban guns if the murder rate doesn't go down by doing so?

Because guns are a go to weapon of choice, You still haven't provided any evidence that restricting guns limits the overall murder rate. People who want to kill are still going to choose to kill. Removing their number one choice of murder weapon isn't going to stop them from murdering, its just going to force them to use their number two choice.

Because the goal is to stop murder. So we only care about the murder rate

I glanced over the pictures. It seemed to all be about gun control causing a lack of gun related deaths. If it actually talked about an overall decrease in murders then great, but that isn't what I saw.

Suppose a city bans the sale of red spray paint because their studies showed the majority of graffiti is done using red spray paint. Sure enough, the amount of graffiti in the city containing red spray paint goes down! But the goal was never to reduce the amount of graffiti containing red spray paint, it was to reduce the amount of graffiti. So the fact that there is less graffiti with red spray point is meaningless, we need to know if graffiti as a whole went down or if the graffiti artists just switched to other colors.

You're ignoring my post because you're a coward.
06:11 AM on 01/18/13 
User Info.
Ryan Dennehy
Staff Member

Not to mention they aren't even "orders"
07:28 PM on 01/19/13 
User Info.
Ryan Dennehy
Staff Member
Today was National Gun Appreciation Day. 8 people so far have been accidentally shot today at gun shows. These are the supposed "responsible" gun owners.

Source?
07:36 PM on 01/19/13 
User Info.
Ryan Dennehy
Staff Member
Think progress has it at five, at three different shows.
11:19 AM on 01/21/13 
User Info.
Ryan Dennehy
Staff Member
I would definitely say there should be mechanisms installed in cars to better regulate speed. The technology is out of reach ut a "smartcar" that forced you to abide speed limits (especially in school zones/off highways) would make the roads immeasurably safer.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos