Password

09:37 AM on 01/16/13 
User Info.
birdman
DUNGEON MASTER
Atlanta, Ga
Male
Here's Obama's plans...

* Require criminal background checks for all gun sales.
* Take four executive actions to ensure information on dangerous individuals is available to the background check system.
* Reinstate and strengthen the assault weapons ban.
* Restore the 10-round limit on ammunition magazines.
* Protect police by finishing the job of getting rid of armor-piercing bullets.
* Give law enforcement additional tools to prevent and prosecute gun crime.
* End the freeze on gun violence research.
* Make our schools safer with more school resource officers and school counselors, safer climates, and better emergency response plans.
* Help ensure that young people get the mental health treatment they need.
* Ensure health insurance plans cover mental health benefits.

He lost me when he didn't make any sort of training or testing a requirement to receive a permit.

My take:

* Background check includes mental health history, history of behavioral medication prescriptions.
* Permits issued based on weapon purchased. You can't have a conceal carry for a gun that exceeds a 10 round limit
* Gun safety training as a requirement for a permit
* Additional training as a requirement for a conceal carry

I believe in the 2nd amendment and think that the right to bear arms is essential to a free society. But you should have to burn a few calories in order to legally carry a weapon in public.

Of course, any regulation is moot when you consider criminals do not typically follow the law.
09:38 AM on 01/16/13 
User Info.
birdman
DUNGEON MASTER
Atlanta, Ga
Male
There isn't a single reason in the world why someone needs an assault weapon. Absolutely none.

For sport, protection.

Do cops carry assault weapons?
09:43 AM on 01/16/13 
User Info.
birdman
DUNGEON MASTER
Atlanta, Ga
Male
I think Ryan meant private citizens owning assault weapons.

I know, it was a rhetorical question.
09:44 AM on 01/16/13 
User Info.
birdman
DUNGEON MASTER
Atlanta, Ga
Male
No. You do not need an assault weapon for either of those things. What sport do you need an assault weapon for? These aren't fucking toys and I'm sick of people treating them as such. Defenders of these things sounds like whiny brats who just got grounded and had their toys taken away.

So tell why a cop would need an assault weapon, but a private citizen does not?
09:54 AM on 01/16/13 
User Info.
birdman
DUNGEON MASTER
Atlanta, Ga
Male

That's always a tried a true response to a legitimate question.

If cops have assault weapons, and criminals have assault weapons...then why should I be denied the right to own one to protect myself and my family?

I have said it a million times, I don't want to live in a country where the only two groups of people with these guns are criminals and the government.
09:55 AM on 01/16/13 
User Info.
birdman
DUNGEON MASTER
Atlanta, Ga
Male
Same reason you give right of way for emergency vehicles.

oh so now we can compare guns to cars again?
09:56 AM on 01/16/13 
User Info.
birdman
DUNGEON MASTER
Atlanta, Ga
Male
Pretty sure most cops do not carry what would be considered assault weapons. Think those are usually left to special forces.

I believe they are kept in the trunk of their cruisers.
10:34 AM on 01/16/13 
User Info.
birdman
DUNGEON MASTER
Atlanta, Ga
Male
Ok I got 5 quotes and I don't want to respond to everyone of them so I will just say this.

I don't believe that someone should be able to get a conceal carry for an assault weapon, but I don't think they should be banned either.

No, nobody needs one. But nobody needs a production race car either. Despite them not typically being street legal, someone may own a race car, work on it, mod it, tow it to a track, and race it as a sport or hobby. Why shouldn't someone be able to keep an assault weapon in their house and go to a gun range to shoot?

We are talking about law-abiding citizens here. The likelihood of an owner of an assault weapon going nuts and shooting up a mall is the same weather the person is a private citizen, a police officer, or a member of the military.

So what's the problem? I don't want guns in the hands of psychos and criminals either. But seeing as I am neither, I should retain that right.
10:37 AM on 01/16/13 
User Info.
birdman
DUNGEON MASTER
Atlanta, Ga
Male
If I am in a mall that someone decides to start shooting up. I sure as shit am not relying on the armed security guard, who is likely an ex-high school football player who failed out of junior college, to help. I hope that there is one of those blasted "gun nuts" there with a conceal carry.
10:44 AM on 01/16/13 
User Info.
birdman
DUNGEON MASTER
Atlanta, Ga
Male
I wonder how many people died from race cars in the last year.

That's irrelevant. Unless of course you only measured gun deaths which were accidental and occurred outside the boundaries of the law by a citizen who was licensed to use the weapon.
10:46 AM on 01/16/13 
User Info.
birdman
DUNGEON MASTER
Atlanta, Ga
Male
Why don't you just get a concealed carry permit yourself and remain armed while out in public? Do you have the mental capacity to act quickly when witnessing potential danger, take out your firearm in time, accurately aim it at the threat and pull the trigger in time before anyone is else harmed?

I own a handgun, but do not have a conceal carry. The only time it leaves my safe is when I take it to the gun range once a week.

I do not own it to protect myself or my loved ones, I own it to go to a gun range to blow off steam every now and then.

I am nowhere near a strong enough shot to accurately hit a moving target.

But I do not represent the entire population of gun owners. I have known gun owners that could certainly hit their targets. They are well trained and responsible.
10:48 AM on 01/16/13 
User Info.
birdman
DUNGEON MASTER
Atlanta, Ga
Male
I can picture that mall scene now. Man with assault rifle fires shot. A thousand other people with assault rifles fire back. And they obviously only hit their target and nobody else. And the poor high school drop out football player missed out on all the ruckus.

If gun ownership was more widely adopted with required training, what is the likelihood that someone is going to pull that stunt.

How often does someone shoot up a police station? Or rob a gun shop?
10:51 AM on 01/16/13 
User Info.
birdman
DUNGEON MASTER
Atlanta, Ga
Male
The problem is that there's no way to keep all the non-law-abiding citizens from getting them. Furthermore, I feel like if you're looking for assault weapons, you're up to no good.

If you are a criminal and your intention is to harm others, do you go to a gun shop and submit yourself to the rigmarole it takes to buy a gun that can be easily traced back to you, or do you buy your gun out of some dudes trunk?
10:54 AM on 01/16/13 
User Info.
birdman
DUNGEON MASTER
Atlanta, Ga
Male
More often than not, you have a friend or family member do the former.

Which would put the friend or family member outside of the "law-abiding citizen" criteria.
10:55 AM on 01/16/13 
User Info.
birdman
DUNGEON MASTER
Atlanta, Ga
Male
I think you're giving human beings way too much credit.

Well, I do love the human race.

But if specified training was a requirement for gun ownership, which I fully support, then any law-abiding gun owner would have the training to go with the weapon.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos