Username
Password

12:14 PM on 01/16/13 
User Info.
anthonydarko
Fight Milk
Wright City, MO
Male - 26 Years Old
If I was to get any sort of guns or tactics playing a video game like Call of Duty, I'd be as seasoned as a Navy Seals veteran at this point.
12:15 PM on 01/16/13 
User Info.
Jason Tate
Portland, OR
Male - 31 Years Old
Staff Member
Totally off topic but I just noticed you graduated from University of Redlands. How did you like it? I work in Redlands and have thought about going there eventually.

I enjoyed it. I thought the education was good. Expensive (without the scholarship I got, I would have probably gone to an in state school) but by and large - good.
12:15 PM on 01/16/13 
User Info.
Jason Tate
Portland, OR
Male - 31 Years Old
Staff Member
Man, I suck at Call of Duty ... pretty damn good at Duck Hunt though ...
12:16 PM on 01/16/13 
User Info.
anthonydarko
Fight Milk
Wright City, MO
Male - 26 Years Old
Because that was the point of the research ... most studies don't look at everything ... but follow a pretty straight forward method. I'm sure you'd be able to hit up google and get the answer to those questions.
If you'd hit up Google, you'd find that there really is no concrete proof that violent video games is a cause of mass violence. If that was the case, I'm sure I could find proof that Dexter caused a rise in serial killer related crimes.
12:16 PM on 01/16/13 
User Info.
ChaseTx
Meh. Time to go see if there's any sales at the gun shop after work.
Not likely! According to to people I work with, they're hard to come by right now. With today's events, I'm guessing today will be a very busy day for gun shops.
12:17 PM on 01/16/13 
User Info.
crackedthesky
cause when I fly solo I fly so high
Gladstone, MO
Male - 26 Years Old
That's not at all what I said. I said you would have a pretty good idea on how to use the gun, not be proficient at it.

If you consider "pull trigger, bullet comes out" as "a pretty good idea how to use a gun" then yes, but I'm pretty sure anyone over the age of four could do the exact same thing having never even heard of Call of Duty.
User Info.
anthonydarko
Fight Milk
Wright City, MO
Male - 26 Years Old
Man, I suck at Call of Duty ... pretty damn good at Duck Hunt though ...

I miss Duck Hunt, not that dog that taunted you though.
User Info.
tkamB
Nobody has it better than us
Bay Area, CA
Male - 23 Years Old
I think we can all agree the goal shouldn't be to stop murders from gun-related violence. The goal is to stop murders. Looking at death from gun-related violence is completely irrelevant. If states with stricter gun control laws have fewer murders per capita than others, then you have a point. Otherwise, killers and still killing and just using different tools for the job.

And when people murder others, what do they use most often?

Oh right, guns.
12:18 PM on 01/16/13 
User Info.
Jason Tate
Portland, OR
Male - 31 Years Old
Staff Member
If you'd hit up Google, you'd find that there really is no concrete proof that violent video games is a cause of mass violence. If that was the case, I'm sure I could find proof that Dexter caused a rise in serial killer related crimes.

I never made such a claim; I also don't believe any science offers "concrete proof" of anything. You're missing the point here, entirely.
12:20 PM on 01/16/13 
User Info.
Ryan Dennehy
Staff Member
I would think theres some kind of socialization argument to be made for the way video games effect kids. I don't think it "teaches" you anything, but it's no different from other forms of media in imparting social cues to kids.
12:20 PM on 01/16/13 
User Info.
Jason Tate
Portland, OR
Male - 31 Years Old
Staff Member
Not likely! According to to people I work with, they're hard to come by right now. With today's events, I'm guessing today will be a very busy day for gun shops.
My girlfriend's mom tries to rile me up and was making all these claims about making sure she got to the store to buy extra guns ... and how her sister is shipping "pallets" of ammunition down from Alaska for when they move here.

I just roll my eyes and don't respond to 90% of her shit.
12:22 PM on 01/16/13 
User Info.
birdman
DUNGEON MASTER
Atlanta, Ga
Male
If you consider "pull trigger, bullet comes out" as "a pretty good idea how to use a gun" then yes, but I'm pretty sure anyone over the age of four could do the exact same thing having never even heard of Call of Duty.

Don't need to know a whole lot more to kill people. Of course, I have been watching violent movies my whole life. I couldn't tell you if someone with no access to violent media would know how to hold, load, cock, and fire a firearm. Or more importantly, feel completely desensitized to holding a firearm in the first place.

I'll tell you I felt super nervous transporting my handgun from my house to the gun range for the longest time, I even felt uncomfortable holding it.
12:24 PM on 01/16/13 
User Info.
ChaseTx
My girlfriend's mom tries to rile me up and was making all these claims about making sure she got to the store to buy extra guns ... and how her sister is shipping "pallets" of ammunition down from Alaska for when they move here.

I just roll my eyes and don't respond to 90% of her shit.
That's how I respond at work. I'm way too outnumbered here to even bother trying to make a point.
12:24 PM on 01/16/13 
User Info.
Mr. November
I won't fuck us over.
Windsor, OH
Male
That's not at all what I said. I said you would have a pretty good idea on how to use the gun, not be proficient at it.

yeah you'd learn that pointing it at someone and pulling the tigger gives you a chance of hitting them, and that's about it.
12:25 PM on 01/16/13 
User Info.
J.C.
adorkable
New Haven, CT
ya boy - 28 Years Old
I'll tell you I felt super nervous transporting my handgun from my house to the gun range for the longest time, I even felt uncomfortable holding it.

Well it's a good thing you have a gun then.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos