Username
Password

01:08 PM on 01/16/13 
User Info.
anthonydarko
Fight Milk
Wright City, MO
Male - 26 Years Old
You obviously haven't read the research then - links have been found to how it affects mental health and it goes far beyond "speculation."
I've been following this issue for years and have read research from both sides actually, it always ends up in the same divided nature to be honest.
01:08 PM on 01/16/13 
User Info.
crackedthesky
cause when I fly solo I fly so high
Gladstone, MO
Male - 26 Years Old
Relevant - just came across my RSS reader (timing is odd like that):

It's Time to Reconsider the Violent Game Debate by GamesIndustryInternational
So when tragedies happen, our response must be galling to those who don't "get" games. Instead of explaining the merits of what we do, we throw up discussion-ending roadblocks of First Amendment rights and scientific research (ignoring that parent watchdog groups also claim to have the weight of scientific research on their side). It's not unlike what the National Rifle Association does when the issue of gun control comes up. They say it doesn't work, namecheck the Second Amendment, and change the subject. Regardless of whether you feel the NRA is right, you have to understand how galling that position is to the people who believe access to guns in the US is a significant part of the problem. Now consider that American parents are equally likely to blame games for the violence in society as they are guns, and the problem becomes clear. Parents are worried about their children, and the last thing they want to hear is denial and deflection from the people trying to sell their kids on gore and violence.

I can sort of see this now, I guess. Apparently the number of people making this correlation is a lot higher than I thought, so I'll retract what I said earlier about ignoring them entirely.

Not that it really matters, because games industry people were involved in these talks.
01:09 PM on 01/16/13 
User Info.
Nevuk
Post-Structural Anarchist
Cincinnati OH
Male - 25 Years Old
The head of the ESA actually went the conference along with the CEO of EA Games.
EA? Um. Their incompetence is legendary. I shortly expect all guns in games to be replaced by tomatoes.
01:11 PM on 01/16/13 
User Info.
Nevuk
Cincinnati OH
Male - 25 Years Old
Right, just like blaming guns is.

It isn't the gun, or the video game, it's the person with the gun or the person playing the game that causes violence.
They didn't even like Manson...
01:11 PM on 01/16/13 
User Info.
crackedthesky
Gladstone, MO
Male - 26 Years Old
EA? Um. Their incompetence is legendary. I shortly expect all guns in games to be replaced by tomatoes that stretch into hellishly frightening graphical glitches before sinking into the ground.

I fixed this for you
01:14 PM on 01/16/13 
User Info.
Nevuk
Cincinnati OH
Male - 25 Years Old
They'll also charge 60$ for the right to install massive bloatware on your computer that they'll blame on the tomato grower's association.
01:15 PM on 01/16/13 
User Info.
crackedthesky
Gladstone, MO
Male - 26 Years Old
They'll also charge 60$ for the right to install massive bloatware on your computer that they'll blame on the tomato grower's association.

And probably fail to pay the tomato programmers.
01:16 PM on 01/16/13 
User Info.
David87
That guy
Wilmington, DE
Male - 26 Years Old
Haven't read this thread, jsut red Birdman's post in the general thread, and I wanted to say that I pretty much agree with what he said.

I atually don't need to see any type of weapon banned...I'd much rather see staunch, tough training regulations for people who want to buy and use more deadly guns, they ahve to pass tougher training classes that show they can use the weapon well and responsibly (in addition to the background checks and mental health checks and etc)
01:21 PM on 01/16/13 
User Info.
luckykaruba
Jazz Baby
Female - 28 Years Old
yeah, there's research, but all of the studies i've seen (from both sides of the debate) don't convince me either way because of stuff like small group sizes, the short length of the studies, really vague definitions, etc.

Do you know what kind of analysis they conduct on it? or at least who you've seen?
01:22 PM on 01/16/13 
User Info.
crackedthesky
Gladstone, MO
Male - 26 Years Old
Haven't read this thread, jsut red Birdman's post in the general thread, and I wanted to say that I pretty much agree with what he said.

I atually don't need to see any type of weapon banned...I'd much rather see staunch, tough training regulations for people who want to buy and use more deadly guns, they ahve to pass tougher training classes that show they can use the weapon well and responsibly (in addition to the background checks and mental health checks and etc)

None of which will have much of any impact considering nearly all weapons used in crimes are taken from a friend or family member.

It's not bad by any means and probably something we should do, but that's barely going to make a dent in the problem.
01:25 PM on 01/16/13 
User Info.
birdman
Don't hold your breath
Atlanta, Ga
Male
And the definition of "arms" doesn't include anything higher than muskets. Everything invented after that is not covered by that, or else it would be legal for me to own a nuclear warhead.

Legal definition of an "arm"

We elect them to represent us. We had a Congress before we had a constitution, so saying the government exists to uphold a document that was created after said government is backwards. And no, I'm not wrong. You don't have a constitutional right to every weapon ever made from now to infinity.

My right to bear arms shall not be infringed. Now we can agree that people should own rocket launchers. But banning rocket launchers is, in fact, infringing on my right to bear arms. We have just agreed that it is a reasonable infringement and amended the original law to reflect that agreement.

Good, because everything above that is completely irrelevant.

Nope. As stated above, the argument surrounds the constitutionality of limited the type of guns one is allowed to own. It is a valid argument and an important one. It's not as easy is flailing about "BUT BUT...THE KIDS!!! GUN NUTS ARE CRAZY!!!"

When did I ever say there can be no argument? You're arguing against points nobody here is making. At the same time, you're saying "we should talk about this! But we can't ever change it, because, you know, nope."

I guess I just feel like you are over-simplifying the idea that someone shouldn't own an assault rifle because you, personally, don't see a reason why anyone would need it. There doesn't seem to be any practical application for banning the weapon, just political chest pounding.
01:32 PM on 01/16/13 
User Info.
open mind
bastard on parade
No Avatar Selected
anchorage
Male
Do you know what kind of analysis they conduct on it? or at least who you've seen?

not off the top of my head. it's been quite some time since i was interested enough in the topic to look into it much.

usually some politician cites a study that says games are bad to back a proposed ban, then somebody else picks apart that studies methodology. on the flip side some psychologist says games are good because they help develop spatial reasoning, empower kids who (for example) suck at sports, and provide a safe outlet for aggression, but they don't really back it up with much in terms of data.

i tend to think games aren't the root of the problem but they can be an aggravator for kids who already have issues.
01:33 PM on 01/16/13 
User Info.
crackedthesky
Gladstone, MO
Male - 26 Years Old

You are aware that we can change the legal definition of something, right? You're acting like no one has any right to change the constitution. You're wrong.

Quote:
My right to bear arms shall not be infringed. Now we can agree that people should own rocket launchers. But banning rocket launchers is, in fact, infringing on my right to bear arms. We have just agreed that it is a reasonable infringement and amended the original law to reflect that agreement.

And we can as easily amend the law to state that an assault rifle ban is a reasonable infringement.

Quote:
Nope. As stated above, the argument surrounds the constitutionality of limited the type of guns one is allowed to own. It is a valid argument and an important one. It's not as easy is flailing about "BUT BUT...THE KIDS!!! GUN NUTS ARE CRAZY!!!"

Yeah, because that's what I'm doing.

Quote:
I guess I just feel like you are over-simplifying the idea that someone shouldn't own an assault rifle because you, personally, don't see a reason why anyone would need it.

That's not what I said. I said IF we ban assault weapons, it will be because a majority of people have decided that.

Quote:
There doesn't seem to be any practical application for banning the weapon, just political chest pounding.

The first part of that sentence is only true if you ignore facts. The practical application has been pointed out to you several times in this thread. There's also no practical application for allowing the average citizen to have one, so the argument is irrelevant at best. The second part of that sentence is just a meaningless insult, not to mention projection.
01:33 PM on 01/16/13 
User Info.
ChaseTx
Obama wants Congress to waste its time talking about video games.

Fucking dammit.
01:37 PM on 01/16/13 
User Info.
crackedthesky
Gladstone, MO
Male - 26 Years Old

He's giving them permission to spend up to $10 million on conducting a study, and leading off by stating that regardless of what they find, controlling the media is up to parents, not the government. I think it's just token support given to comfort the people who think video games have any major role to play in this.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos