AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

10:07 AM on 01/16/13 
User Info.
luvsickcatalyst
wander eyes, ocean high.
I'm about to go a semester abroad in York and, even though I feel like I'm packing way too much, I was wondering if anyone who lives/has lived in England had any recommendations for essential things to bring over there. One thing I've been told a ton is leave sweatshirts and most jeans at home unless the jeans are slim/skinny (which works out for me), but anyone have recommendations a traveler wouldn't normally think to bring?
09:20 PM on 01/16/13 
User Info.
luvsickcatalyst
wander eyes, ocean high.
Stella is nicknamed 'wife beater' over here. So yeah, there's some truth to that.

Weird, that's what they call Natural Ice in my town. Honestly, if Stella is the joke beer of England, I'm going to do just fine.

Totally didn't expect this kind of response. Let me respond to everything in one post:
  • Randomly found a stash of condoms the other day. Just crossing fingers that they haven't expired.
  • Fuck my mom's friend's son who said people laughed him out of London for wearing sweatshirts and jeans; I'm bringing my Swellers hoodie.
  • Nando's. Noted.
  • Packing some more coats on top of my cardigans...yay freezing temperatures.
  • I guess I will just have to buy a ton of beer and find out which brand's the cheapest. For science, of course.
  • I watched an embarrassing amount of BBC America the other day and Top Gear was on for most of it. I honestly don't know shit about cars or car shows, but pretty enjoyable show. I caught up with Doctor Who and Sherlock though since a) I got addicted and b) I heard Doctor Who is everywhere over there.
12:13 PM on 01/17/13 
User Info.
luvsickcatalyst
wander eyes, ocean high.
Apparently a lot of our burgers have horse meat in them. That is all anyone anywhere seems to be currently concerned about. As such, all conversation you have will revolve around it. So you should probably read up.
Heard about that actually! I'm not all that broken up about since I eat a burger like once a year tops, but I'll read up/stay away from burgers. Also, heard that if you order a steak anywhere in the UK, it will be disgusting and gristly.
08:31 PM on 01/19/13 
User Info.
luvsickcatalyst
wander eyes, ocean high.
are people in here actually appreciating stella?
When you're used to having the worst of American beer (and there's a plethora of shitty American beer), Stella seems like a massive step up.
04:54 AM on 01/22/13 
User Info.
luvsickcatalyst
wander eyes, ocean high.
I am so sorry that is a thing you have to believe
Believe me, I just arrived here yesterday and I'm sad to see your shittiest beer is miles better than our shitty beer.
01:20 AM on 01/29/13 
User Info.
luvsickcatalyst
wander eyes, ocean high.
I see you're here now, how's it going so far?

- Drink lots of Rekorderlig and Kopparberg, whilst not English, they are sold pretty much everywhere and in supermarkets and are the tastiest alcoholic fruit ciders.
- Seriously go to Nando's.
- Get severely drunk then order a "Doner Kebab with chips, salt ,vinegar, chilli sauce on the side and burger sauce on the chips please. Yes salad, but only lettuce, cucumber and onions please."
- Go and watch a lot of live music, I don't know what kinda stuff you're into but there are great venues which are easily accessed all over the country. Check this sort of website for an idea of what's coming up near you.
- Grow to like the colour grey and rain.
- Visit London.
- When visiting London please god make sure you walk on the left through the tube stations and stand on the right on escalators.
- Watch QI...a lot.

Pretty much. But pronounce it "cahnt"/like this:

So far, absolutely love York. The city is beautiful, weather's not terrible (definitely grey though), people are really understanding and helpful with us Americans despite saying "dollars" instead of "pounds" regularly, and I'm glad I came over. I've been meaning to try a cider since everyone drinks them on campus and I just found Nando's yesterday, so adding those to my to-do list this week whilst drunk.

And yeah, I just saw The 1975 at Fibbers the other night...if there's any justice left in the mainstream music world, that band will be huge very soon. Definitely bookmarking that site for future reference. Thanks, man!

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos