AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

01:20 AM on 01/29/13 
User Info.
luvsickcatalyst
wander eyes, ocean high.
I see you're here now, how's it going so far?

- Drink lots of Rekorderlig and Kopparberg, whilst not English, they are sold pretty much everywhere and in supermarkets and are the tastiest alcoholic fruit ciders.
- Seriously go to Nando's.
- Get severely drunk then order a "Doner Kebab with chips, salt ,vinegar, chilli sauce on the side and burger sauce on the chips please. Yes salad, but only lettuce, cucumber and onions please."
- Go and watch a lot of live music, I don't know what kinda stuff you're into but there are great venues which are easily accessed all over the country. Check this sort of website for an idea of what's coming up near you.
- Grow to like the colour grey and rain.
- Visit London.
- When visiting London please god make sure you walk on the left through the tube stations and stand on the right on escalators.
- Watch QI...a lot.

Pretty much. But pronounce it "cahnt"/like this:

So far, absolutely love York. The city is beautiful, weather's not terrible (definitely grey though), people are really understanding and helpful with us Americans despite saying "dollars" instead of "pounds" regularly, and I'm glad I came over. I've been meaning to try a cider since everyone drinks them on campus and I just found Nando's yesterday, so adding those to my to-do list this week whilst drunk.

And yeah, I just saw The 1975 at Fibbers the other night...if there's any justice left in the mainstream music world, that band will be huge very soon. Definitely bookmarking that site for future reference. Thanks, man!
01:37 PM on 02/24/13 
User Info.
IamtheOwl
No Avatar Selected
United Kingdom
Male - 29 Years Old
a friend visited the UK (can't remember where exactly) and he brought a case of Stella with him to a party/gathering, and everyone thought he was trying to get in a fight that night. any truth to Stella being associated with brawling?

Stella as someone else has said is known as wifebeater. Despite the brand trying to portray itself as a classy beverage, The majority of people see it the beer of choice for chavs, football hooligans, neo-nazi's, basically anyone whose poor, white english, and prone to violence at the drop of a hat.

Bring sweatshirts and jeans. if your friends moms son, came in the summer then they would have laughed at him, but trust me, its been snowing today, dress like you would to go to Oregon or Washington State as that has a similar climate to the UK.

The advice about pretending to be into football is a good one, but another way to get out of it is to look up your nearest MLS (the us soccer league) side and say you follow them.

Be wary in town centres around midnight-3am. Drunken pointless violence in these hours is a British speciality. I'm not sure if its just us as a nation who are like that.

Check out the local rock club nights. basically like a nightclub in the US except everyones dancing to punk, emo, metal and a bit of dubstep rather than mac miller. according to google your best haunt of a friday evening is this place http://theduchessyork.co.uk/whats-on/detail/720 You can also see the Bronx and Sonic Boom Six there this week and while she sleeps if you are still here in May.

finally go to Jorvik. seriously, you can't visit York without going to http://jorvik-viking-centre.co.uk/
01:58 PM on 03/01/13 
User Info.
Maiaophilia
my heart beats pacific -
JAPAAAAAN.
Female - 23 Years Old
I see you're here now, how's it going so far?

- Drink lots of Rekorderlig and Kopparberg, whilst not English, they are sold pretty much everywhere and in supermarkets and are the tastiest alcoholic fruit ciders.
- Seriously go to Nando's.
- Get severely drunk then order a "Doner Kebab with chips, salt ,vinegar, chilli sauce on the side and burger sauce on the chips please. Yes salad, but only lettuce, cucumber and onions please."
- Go and watch a lot of live music, I don't know what kinda stuff you're into but there are great venues which are easily accessed all over the country. Check this sort of website for an idea of what's coming up near you.
- Grow to like the colour grey and rain.
- Visit London.
- When visiting London please god make sure you walk on the left through the tube stations and stand on the right on escalators.
- Watch QI...a lot.

Pretty much. But pronounce it "cahnt"/like this:

This is what I miss most about Europe... Doner Kebabs.
02:33 PM on 03/01/13 
User Info.
Kyle Huntington
GIVEN TO THE WILD
Kent/London, England
Male
Staff Member
This is what I miss most about Europe... Doner Kebabs.
The best.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version